Car Thread

Play nice and have fun...
HONDO74

Re: Car Thread

Postby HONDO74 » Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:18 pm

Pennsylvania Tesla bursts into flames, photos show unrecognizable metal husk
Firefighters said it took more than twice as long to extinguish the flames as a normal vehicle fire
https://www.foxbusiness.com/technology/ ... metal-husk

The daughter of the couple driving the car told WTAJ they were driving their Tesla Model S when a "large piece of debris" went underneath the car, causing it to begin to smoke. The couple, identified as "Michelle and Bob," pulled over and got out of their car. Neither were injured.

Because of the electric vehicle’s lithium battery, extinguishing the fire took around 12,000 gallons of water. Typically, crews can extinguish a vehicle fire with around 500 gallons of water or less.

Firefighters spent around two hours extinguishing the flames as the vehicle would continue to reignite and burn fierce at times, the Morris Township Volunteer Fire Company said.

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Sat Dec 31, 2022 1:51 am

Law Will Install Kill Switches In All New Cars
https://news.yahoo.com/law-install-kill ... lAccording to an article written by former U.S.

Representative Bob Barr, hidden away in the recently passed infrastructure bill is a measure to install vehicle kill switches into every new car, truck, and SUV sold in this country. The regulation likely won’t be enforced for five years

It gets even better: Barr points out that the bill, which has been signed into law by President Biden, states that the kill switch, which is referred to as a safety device, must “passively monitor the performance of a driver of a motor vehicle to accurately identify whether that driver may be impaired.” In other words, Big Brother will constantly be monitoring how you drive. If you do something the system has been programmed to recognize as driver impairment, your car could just shut off, which could be incredibly dangerous.

This part of the article was FUNNY
As we’ve seen both in this country and others recently, what constitutes “law-abiding” can change drastically overnight. For example, in September a car was pulled over in New Zealand and the occupants arrested when police discovered the trunk was full of Kentucky Fried Chicken meals. They were smuggling the fast food to customers in locked-down Auckland, against quarantine measures. Yet not too long before, delivering restaurant orders to people was considered a reputable, legal activity. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mitch

Postby Mitch » Sat Dec 31, 2022 10:53 am

Another case of the US government running amok. What if they, (or the vehicle itself) shut the vehicle down while driving? Did you ever have a power steering belt break or come off when you're in the middle of a turn. Loss of power steering would mean that at least 80% of the drivers could not turn the steering wheel, and the other 20% would struggle mightily. I'm a big man. Murph can attest to that as we met at Lancaster. I've had a dead engine on a 3/4 ton RAM with 5 guys pushin' me into the dealership service area. To get into my hoist, I could turn the wheel about 90 degrees, re-grip and pull like hell again, 2 or 3 times then push me backwards so I could get it straightened up properly. Even a lighter car with loss of PS is a struggle. Nobody could react fast enough to avoid an accident. We've even had recalls on Pacificas and other vehicles that have electric power steering where there could possibly be a bad ground to the steering rack. The National Transportation Safety Board is who tells the factory what needs to be recalled and investigated. Many are the results of accidents that have been caused by or involved in accidents. So now we have the Do-Gooders passing legislation that negates the NTSB's direction. Who would've thought? :roll:
If you agree with the Progressives, it's freedom of speech. If you disagree, it's hate speech. There are no alternatives.

robert.

Postby robert. » Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:04 pm

There is no government kill switch. It is a program to track erratic driving. Drunk driving should be the easiest thing to end.
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

up148

Postby up148 » Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:37 pm

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sat Dec 31, 2022 2:06 pm

robert. wrote:There is no government kill switch. It is a program to track erratic driving. Drunk driving should be the easiest thing to end.

If it ends drunk driving and folks that can't seem to stay in their lane (they drive like they are drunk or just falling asleep or have their eyes glued to their phone...), that's fine by me.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Sat Dec 31, 2022 3:25 pm

In my state if you have a DUI you have to have a devise installed on your car that you have to breathe into before you can start the car. Where I have my vehicles inspected I asked how business was and they said they had been installing quite a few of the devices. That's how I know about it before you ask how I know. :wink:

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sat Dec 31, 2022 3:39 pm

HONDO74 wrote:In my state if you have a DUI you have to have a devise installed on your car that you have to breathe into before you can start the car.

Is that for all DUI's - 1st time or repeat offender? We have that here as well, but it seems unlikely it's automatic in this state.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

robert.

Postby robert. » Sat Dec 31, 2022 4:44 pm

In PA. it is required for all second offenders.
https://www.dmv.pa.gov/Pages/FAQ%20Page ... k-FAQ.aspx

robert.

Postby robert. » Sat Dec 31, 2022 4:57 pm

Everyday i see a car or two that i would love to remotely stop.

v8vega

Postby v8vega » Sat Dec 31, 2022 6:13 pm

I saw a video where a top fuel motorcycle went 254 MPH, I couldn't see the et.It went straight and didn't do anything but super efficient but still can you imagine.

healey36

Postby healey36 » Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:53 am

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:56 am

Spider car, spider car, does whatever a spider car can.............

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:25 pm

Awful. Not even fun. :? 8) :lol: a heap, pretending to be something :mrgreen: :P

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:45 pm

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:Awful. Not even fun. :? 8) :lol: a heap, pretending to be something :mrgreen: :P

Many people are all of the above.

Return to “The Club Car Lounge”