Tractor Thread

Play nice and have fun...
healey36

Re: Tractor Thread

Postby healey36 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:01 am

An unusual set-up on an old Fordson in the UK:

A museum piece, it's interesting that the PTO and the radiator fan has been encased in hardware-wire (likely to protect visitors and their hands/clothing).

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:26 am

Could have maybe used that yesterday to pull that stump left over from a blue spruce that came down years ago..... My Cub just spun its wheels, :?
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

healey36

Postby healey36 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:13 am

Must have been a decent-size tree if you needed a tractor to pull up the stump.

I remember going to cut a Christmas tree with The Old Man some fifty years ago. The farm we went to had a wide variety of trees, including blue spruce. He always refused to cut one of those, saying they were far to lovely to take down for something as trivial as a Christmas tree.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:17 am

healey36 wrote:I remember going to cut a Christmas tree with The Old Man some fifty years ago. The farm we went to had a wide variety of trees, including blue spruce. He always refused to cut one of those, saying they were far to lovely to take down for something as trivial as a Christmas tree.

Dad always dug a blue spruce and then after Christmas, we planted them. Think this one was one of the last still standing.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:44 pm

Ahhh. Traditions. Since no pine trees of any type grew in our part of the Ohio Valley our tradition was to buy a nice one from the closest place
so we wouldn't need to carry it too far. When we got married I went to the woods and cut some kind of pine tree about four foot tall. Took it
home and found that it was not legal to cut trees in the Cumberland, now Daniel Boone, National Forest.
Having a tendency to be a little bit frugal bought artificial trees of various sizes since then. Went to Christmas tree farms several times after
moving to Georgia but eventually went back to artificial. Green colored, not aluminum. Gotta look a little right.
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

healey36

Postby healey36 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:14 pm

rogruth wrote:Green colored, not aluminum. Gotta look a little right.

Gotta have the color-wheel, mate.

I remember asking The Old Man why don't people string lights on aluminum Christmas trees. He said if my stepmother ever really pissed him off, he'd show me.

up148

Postby up148 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:55 am

Can't post photos, but here's a link to a cool tractor being sold on BAT.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1934- ... athead-v8/

up148

Postby up148 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:58 am

Another completed auction. I knew there was a collectible market for old tractors, but these prices absolutely stun me. If you type in "tractor" in the search line and then pull up completed auctions, its very educational.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1966- ... ractor-1r/

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:52 am

up148 wrote:Can't post photos, but here's a link to a cool tractor being sold on BAT.

Pretty and a bit custom, but also with a lot of issues.....could put it on the front field and plant posies around it.

healey36

Postby healey36 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:43 pm

While working on an unrelated project, stumbled on this old photo of a British artillery tractor dragging a field piece through a Greek town during WWI:

Interesting set-up with the "caterpillar" tracks and what looks to be a rubber-tired front wheel.

From Illustrated War News, February 2, 1916.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:07 pm

Looks like a Holt tractor - Wiseman Models sells kits for these!

healey36

Postby healey36 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:54 pm

Hmmm, lots of cool stuff on the Wiseman site. The Holt tractor looks like a great kit, but tough to justify at $220, especially as it will likely just sit on the shelf unbuilt.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:13 pm

healey36 wrote:Hmmm, lots of cool stuff on the Wiseman site. The Holt tractor looks like a great kit, but tough to justify at $220, especially as it will likely just sit on the shelf unbuilt.

And that's why I have not bought one myself!

healey36

Postby healey36 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:47 am

Along similar lines:

Steering position up front, leaving just the fireman in the cab?

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:45 pm

healey36 wrote:Steering position up front, leaving just the fireman in the cab?

Yes, think I posted something along those lines along time ago.

Steering that's chain linked and that fireman is all on his own. Wonder how they communicate things like stopping - hand signals?

Return to “The Club Car Lounge”