Northern weather

Play nice and have fun...
healey36

Re: Northern weather

Postby healey36 » Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:18 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
MurphOnMillerAve wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:Was 42 this morning at the house in PA; nice fire in the fireplace last night took the chill off nicely.

Is it true that 90% of the heat of a fireplace goes up the chimney ?

Depends on a lot of variables. Draft and how open the front is, etm. If it's wide open, probably a lot goes up the stack vs. radiant heat. But you have to remember that everything surrounding it gets hot, too. Mine in PA is a pretty good sized stone fireplace with a heavy steel front and steel fire box and then the stone all gets heated up over the day and carries through the night. Mine in VA is not as large and brick with glass doors. Brick also gets heated up and carries for a long time.

I put a cast-iron fireback in the fireplace a few years back and that made a big difference. After 30 minutes or so, it gets extremely hot and increases the amount of heat radiated back into the room. Another advantage of the fireback is that it moves the fire slightly forward, again helping with radiation. Still, I expect easily half the heat goes up the chimney. A stove insert likely would greatly increase the efficiency, but half the appeal, at least for me, is the big roaring fire.

healey36

Postby healey36 » Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:03 am

Whatever is left of Ian should arrive here in Maryland this coming weekend. NOAA says a limited chance of wind and rain, Saturday through Monday. Hope all south of here come through in good shape.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:32 am

healey36 wrote:Whatever is left of Ian should arrive here in Maryland this coming weekend. NOAA says a limited chance of wind and rain, Saturday through Monday. Hope all south of here come through in good shape.

Does change my weekend plans to head north on Sat. Might head up earlier to button things up a bit.

Spent another tank of gas cutting up oak logs today; even green that oak splits ever so nicely!
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

healey36

Postby healey36 » Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:59 pm

I wish I had the liniment concession at your house.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:16 pm

healey36 wrote:I wish I had the liniment concession at your house.

Actually feel fine - good exercise! And a great distraction from the new crown I got installed yesterday, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

J. S. Bach

Postby J. S. Bach » Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:35 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:And a great distraction from the new crown I got installed yesterday, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

A little ahead of Charles, eh? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen:

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:55 pm

J. S. Bach wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:And a great distraction from the new crown I got installed yesterday, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

A little ahead of Charles, eh? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen:

Tee-hee......if they ask him if he wants to be numbed up, he should respond in the affirmative.

J. S. Bach

Postby J. S. Bach » Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:50 pm

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen:

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:10 am

My MiL is in Ft. Myers........

healey36

Postby healey36 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:27 am

Hope she makes it to high ground. Looked like a 5-8 foot storm surge is predicted last I saw (although things seem to change by the minute).

robert.

Postby robert. » Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:11 am

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:My MiL is in Ft. Myers........

I have a lot of friends there. They’re all staying put.
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:52 am

healey36 wrote:Hope she makes it to high ground. Looked like a 5-8 foot storm surge is predicted last I saw (although things seem to change by the minute).

She's on a 3rd floor....

healey36

Postby healey36 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:03 pm

I know they are peddlers of hype, but Weather Channel is calling a possible surge of up to 18 feet at Fort Myers. That’s crazy.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:05 pm

healey36 wrote:I know they are peddlers of hype, but Weather Channel is calling a possible surge of up to 18 feet at Fort Myers. That’s crazy.

Others are calling for 12-16'.

healey36

Postby healey36 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:09 pm

An order of storage boxes shipped out of Clearwater yesterday; I imagine those are somewhere in the Gulf right now :lol:

Jim Cantore has lashed himself to a light pole in Punta Gorda, winds gusting to 125mph. He da man...

Return to “The Club Car Lounge”