Northern weather

Play nice and have fun...
Rufus T. Firefly

Re: Northern weather

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:43 pm

robert. wrote:You need 5 or more acres.

Used to be plenty of room in Bucks.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

robert.

Postby robert. » Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:06 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:

I'm in New Britain. Not a five acre lot around. No room left anywhere. Houses sell in 2 days. They sell for $40,000 more than listed price. (that's for house listed $300,000 and below. Above that price you need to offer $60,000 and up) The influx of New Yorkers and Jerseyites is mind boggling. There is a 3 week wait for an overnight Uhaul rental. If you rent a Uhaul and don't return t the same day. Lookout. They fine you and ban you from ever renting again.
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:11 pm

robert. wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:

I'm in New Britain. Not a five acre lot around. No room left anywhere. Houses sell in 2 days. They sell for $40,000 more than listed price. (that's for house listed $300,000 and below. Above that price you need to offer $60,000 and up) The influx of New Yorkers and Jerseyites is mind boggling. There is a 3 week wait for an overnight Uhaul rental. If you rent a Uhaul and don't return t the same day. Lookout. They fine you and ban you from ever renting again.

Well, that's been the story of Bucks Co. for better than 40 years.....was a bedroom community for NY in the late 70's
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:03 am

Ida looks to be headed here by Wed evening; folks in the way between there and here are in for a pounding.

robert.

Postby robert. » Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:47 am

Last night was a dream. Mid 60’s . Saturday morning/afternoon. We had 5 inches plus. 2 miles either direction just drizzle.

healey36

Postby healey36 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:15 pm

Saw a report on NWS this AM that water temps in the Gulf were 80+ degrees at 100 ft. on the run-in to La. That seems rather extraordinary.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:37 pm

healey36 wrote:Saw a report on NWS this AM that water temps in the Gulf were 80+ degrees at 100 ft. on the run-in to La. That seems rather extraordinary.

Warm weather and warm water make for a bad situation with a class 4 aimed right at you.

robert.

Postby robert. » Sun Aug 29, 2021 2:14 pm

healey36 wrote:Saw a report on NWS this AM that water temps in the Gulf were 80+ degrees at 100 ft. on the run-in to La. That seems rather extraordinary.

100 feet deep or 100 feet off shore?

healey36

Postby healey36 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:32 pm

robert. wrote:

100 feet deep or 100 feet off shore?

At 100 feet deep, lol. Typical water temps at that depth at that location in the Gulf are 60-65 degrees.

robert.

Postby robert. » Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:20 pm

So much rain. Even the too of the hill has flooding

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:33 pm

robert. wrote:So much rain. Even the too of the hill has flooding

Just saw that a tornado was heading into Bucks from Burlington NJ

robert.

Postby robert. » Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:41 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:

Really? I wife is panicked about all these tornado warning. My phone buzzes every 10 minutes with a new warning . We lost power @ 6pm. Now wind all rain. If i were to guess. I’d say over 10 inches in the last 3 hours. With most of it between 4:30 and 6pm

Neil

Postby Neil » Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:04 pm

Here on the North Coast (Lake Ontario) it's clear and about 70 degrees. I expect over the next 20 years we'll see an influx of people getting away from the rising seas, hurricanes, intolerable heat, etc. People will move to Syracuse, Buffalo, Detroit and other Great Lakes cities that have lost population over the last 30 years. By and large no floods, hurricanes, earthquakes, tornadoes or temps above about 90 degrees. A bit of snow in the winter, but who knows what will happen to that. At least we have the largest supply of fresh water in the world. Could come in handy for irrigation, drinking and bathing.
Neil

robert.

Postby robert. » Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:24 pm

robert. wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:

Really? My wife is panicked about all these tornado warning. My phone buzzes every 10 minutes with a new warning . We lost power @ 6pm. Now wind all rain. If i were to guess. I’d say over 10 inches in the last 3 hours. With most of it between 4:30 and 6pm

chuck

Postby chuck » Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:07 pm

Usually tornadic weather requires relatively flat land. Too many changes in elevation and the wind flow patterns tend to break up.

I knew south Jersey was pretty flat but I didn't realize that south east Penn has stretches of relatively flat land as well, particularly around Lancaster, the areas south and east of the Alleghenies.

Hope everyone stays safe.
Once I built a railroad, I made it run,
Made it race against time.
Once I built a railroad, now it's done --
Brother, can you spare a dime?

Return to “The Club Car Lounge”