Climate Change Lawsuit

Play nice and have fun...
up148

Re: Climate Change Lawsuit

Postby up148 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:00 pm

Yes, thanks for posting Wayne.

We watch just about every show on PBS and Netflix (BBC shows) having to do with the Arctic and Antarctica. We know more about the land, marine and plant life in those areas than I ever dreamed I would. But, I can't remember them ever saying that Antarctica was growing.... only that both polar regions were shrinking. Very misleading on their part, but I guess everyone spins their opinion, in a manner that will help their cause.

Not saying anything +- about global warming, just about the spin of these shows. I didn't really expect this out of BBC. :oops: Hopefully Santa will be okay. :|

BH

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:30 pm

webenda wrote:
MurphOnMillerAve wrote:It will be intriguing to see what is gradually uncovered on the land; perhaps, Paleozoic and Mesozoic (!) flora and fauna fossils, from when Antarctica was part of Pangea !?

FORESTS in Antarctica:=> https://news.nationalgeographic.com/201 ... rmian-spd/
DINASAURS in Antarctica:=> https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-ne ... 180959018/

Thanks a lot for those links, Wayne! They are treasures of information. I'm saving both in my Favorites to read more thoroughly later. The Permian Extinction was news for me.

webenda

Postby webenda » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:30 pm

As for Global Warming, my advice to our future Earth Residents is, "Adapt or go Extinct."
This PBS video blames the last Global Warming event (56 million years ago) on Carbon Emissions.
Reference: https://youtu.be/ldLBoErAhz4

Then it points out that carbon emissions are greater today than during the last global warming event. I do not have any arguments over findings in fossil records.

I do have an argument over the comparison of carbon emissions today compared to during the last global warming.

The commentator said, "At the peak of the PTEM as much as 1.7 billion metric tons of carbon were released into the atmosphere every year.'
And he said, "In 2014 it was 9.8 billion metric tons of carbon per year." (9.8 billon = 0.98 trillion)

FACT CHECK (carbon emmissions from alcohol, gasoine and fuel oil only)
We burn 2.7 million gallons fuel a minute :: https://phys.org/news/2015-01-million-g ... cheap.html
2.7 million x 60 min/hour x 24 hr/day x 365.25 days/year = 1.42 trillion gallons/year.
About 20 pounds of CO2 are produced per gallon of fuel burned. :: https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=307&t=11
1.42 trillion gal / yr x 20 pounds / gal = 28.4 trillion tons CO2 / yr (1 metric ton = 1.1 ton)
28.4 trillion tons CO2 / yr x 1 metric ton / 1.1 ton - 25.8 trillon metric tons CO2 / year
11 tons of carbon dioxide = 3 tons of carbon :: https://thinkprogress.org/the-biggest-s ... 0b077313b/
25.8 trillon metric tons CO2 / year x 3/11 = 7.04 trillion metric tons carbon / year.

Did I miss a decimal point somewhere? Seven trillion tons of carbon emissions per year from our burning fuel alone is a lot more than 0.98 trillion tons stated in the PBS report.

We cannot stop burning oil until we run out, so humans... adapt to the warming trend and quit complaining.

What doe that mean for those still living in the Sonoran Desert when temperatures peak? I estimate instead of 110 °F summers we will have 120°F summers. That will not equal the hottest place on the planet today (July 10, 1913, Death Valley hit 134 degrees F.)
Last edited by webenda on Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
----Wayne----

Back when I was growing up, if you didn't start someth'n, there wouldn't be noth'n.
--Merle Haggard

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:33 pm

webenda wrote:We cannot stop burning oil until we run out.........

I don't understand that wording. Can't or won't. If it's can't, why? Won't, I can understand.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

webenda

Postby webenda » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:58 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:

I don't understand that wording. Can't or won't. If it's can't, why? Won't, I can understand.

Let me simplify...

Carbon emissions are being blamed for global warming.

During the Earth's last global warming period (Paleocene-Eocene period) 1.7 million metric tons of carbon were released into the atmosphere every year by natural (not from human activity) emissions.

During the Earth's current global warming period humans are releasing 7.04 trillion metric tons carbon / year.
----Wayne----

Back when I was growing up, if you didn't start someth'n, there wouldn't be noth'n.
--Merle Haggard

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:18 pm

webenda wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:

Let me simplify...

Carbon emissions are being blamed for global warming.

During the Earth's last global warming period (Paleocene-Eocene period) 1.7 million metric tons of carbon were released into the atmosphere every year by natural (not from human activity) emissions.

During the Earth's current global warming period humans are releasing 7.04 trillion metric tons carbon / year.

Did not answer the question.....
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

webenda

Postby webenda » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:23 pm

You answered your own question.
Question: If it's can't why?
Answer: Won't.
----Wayne----

--Merle Haggard

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:45 pm

webenda wrote:You answered your own question.

Not really. Can't may equal won't but that's by choice not by requirement. So, you probably should have chosen to use the word "won't". "Can" remains a possible choice.

robert.

Postby robert. » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:55 pm

I'd like to see how many of these kids use leaf blowers instead of rakes. Or walk to school, sleep at night with no ac. in the summer. Maybe an extra blanket at night in the winter. Use both sides of a piece of paper when writing a school report. Let them see how easy it is to be part of the problem. Before they start to blame leaders for failure.
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:57 pm

robert. wrote:Use both sides of a piece of paper when writing a school report.

Write on paper, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

webenda

Postby webenda » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:21 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
webenda wrote:You answered your own question.

Not really. Can't may equal won't but that's by choice not by requirement. So, you probably should have chosen to use the word "won't". "Can" remains a possible choice.

Oh, oh! :shock: I answered the wrong question. You must have been referring to, "We cannot stop burning oil until we run out, so humans... adapt to the warming trend and quit complaining."

The statement comes from my observations of the human's on this planet. They are all insane. They behave like they have a demon that drives them to get what they want even if it kills the planet and everyone on it. That is why I said, "We cannot stop..."

I see what you are saying, they can stop but won't.

I am one of them. I am not trading my Hemi RAM in for an electric truck until we run out of oil. After electric vehicles, the next step to being a responsible caretaker of the planet would be a Horse and Buggy.

What do you mean, the used horse doesn't come with it... at that price I should get two horses!
----Wayne----

--Merle Haggard

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:28 pm

Beautiful and dignified, of course, but a bit exposed to the elements and open to invasion by hoodlums, not to mention deer and big hairy (furry?) things.

webenda

Postby webenda » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:44 pm

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:Beautiful and dignified, of course, but a bit exposed to the elements and open to invasion by hoodlums, not to mention deer and big hairy (furry?) things.

So you can't trade your Mercedes SUV in on a Horse and Buggy or you won't?
----Wayne----

--Merle Haggard

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:57 pm

webenda wrote:
MurphOnMillerAve wrote:Beautiful and dignified, of course, but a bit exposed to the elements and open to invasion by hoodlums, not to mention deer and big hairy (furry?) things.

So you can't trade your Mercedes SUV in on a Horse and Buggy or you won't?

I would not.The only transportation I'd give my Benz up for would be a brand-new Rolls Royce, and since I have not won a lottery, yet, I'm sticking with my very dependable and solid bucket-o-bolts. Plus, as I mentioned on another thread, I would not have a dog because I have no intention of picking-up after one. So, cleaning-up after a horse, let alone riding at eye-level with its keester, is totally out of the question. :mrgreen:

The closest I ever got to the feeling one might get from riding in an open carriage were my motorcycles. I miss them.

webenda

Postby webenda » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:24 pm

I would say you can't.

Here is a poem just for you.

I went down to hell
And I met with Satan
And I told him about my friend
Who had an interest
In a certain type
Of automobile
That he would have to get
If he wanted to be safe
from bears.

So me and Satan went
Out to the dealership
To pick out his new car.
We hadn't gotten far
Before we found
What we were looking for.
A brand new, loaded
Benz SUV.
With heated seats
And the most intense sound system
You've ever seen.
With a navigation system
It was so obscene.

That's why Satan drives
a Benz SUV.

As we got close
She stood in awe
Of the beautiful machine
That we had just bought.
We parked the car
And I got out.
My friend said
honey, look what I got.

And then he drove off
by himself you see
to drive the woods
in his Benz SUV.

His Benz SUV.

His Benz SUV.

Stolen from the Business Fairy :=> https://youtu.be/4_vruFJgI7o
----Wayne----

--Merle Haggard

Return to “The Club Car Lounge”