Favorite TV shows, series, or programs? Or, TV you've hated:

Play nice and have fun...
MurphOnMillerAve

Re: Favorite TV shows, series, or programs? Or, TV you've hated:

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:24 pm

I haven't seen some of those names for years. Seeing them again brought back happy memories.

Seaboard Air Line Fan

Postby Seaboard Air Line Fan » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:44 pm

Other than Big Bang Theory I rarely watch any commercial TV these days. The occasional Cleveland Indians game and the World Series is it for sports, and golf.

I watch a load of movies and shows on Netflix. I saw a Norwegian tv series the other day called "Nobel". It had sub-titles but it was a really good show.

And of course Sherlock Holmes on PBS.

Reality shows, they're not so I have never watched one.
BobD aka Drifty

The Crow Flies At Midnight

Wolf

Postby Wolf » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:50 pm

Like:
Barney Miller
The Bob Newhart Show (the Chicago one over the NH one, have a thing for Pleshette! :wink: but both are good)
How Are Things Made?
Mythbusters

Dislike:
Any and ALL "reality" shows
There also are many other types of shows I'm not really wild about.....would rather watch the
Weather Channel of most of them!! :roll: :lol:
Take care,
Wolfgang

E7

Postby E7 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:30 am

Wolf wrote:Dislike:

Any and ALL "reality" shows
There also are many other types of shows I'm not really wild about.....would rather watch the
Weather Channel of most of them!!
:roll: :lol:

There is some excellent programming on the Weather Channel.

Rich

Wolf

Postby Wolf » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:01 pm

I agree, but unfortunately, due to Verizon pulling the plug on the
Weather Channel , I haven't been able to watch it for the past
18 months or so...only while out on the road! Some of their
non-forecast programming was really quite good (but veered
dangerously close to "reality TV"!!).

And the substitute Accuweather is just plain lame on both
the the forecasting (seem to tape it every 4+ hours, then play
the same 5-minute loop endlessly) and in the programming.
I kinda miss Jim Cantori (spelling?) being out at all the weather
"happenings"!
Take care,
Wolfgang

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:27 am

Like:

You bet your life
Steve Allen show
Twin Peaks
Game of Thrones
The Expanse
Sherlock Holmes (with Jeremy Brett)
Fawlty Towers
Monty Python
Red Dwarf
and others that elude me at this time...........

Very little that I can say "like" vs. "watchable"..... I get bored with almost every show after about 1/2 way through the 2nd season - the formula is set and now milked endlessly - few manage to maintain long-term creativity.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:04 pm

I see there are still some that hardly will admit watching commercial television.
Some of us are just too good for that "crap".
I watch commercial TV a lot. We have six TVs and three are usually on.
Sometimes on different channels, sometimes on the same.
I have nothing to brag about anymore. :D :D
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:28 pm

Anybody have a viewpoint about the "Judge Judy" show?

How 'bout that "Long Island Medium" with the painted, long, square, ghetto-claw nails, plastic oversized "jewelry", loud screeching mouth, and helmet-hair? Is anything about her for real?

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:33 pm

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:Anybody have a viewpoint about the "Judge Judy" show?

How 'bout that "Long Island Medium" with the painted, long, square, ghetto-claw nails, plastic oversized "jewelry", loud screeching mouth, and helmet-hair? Is anything about her for real?

You've obviously watched both more than me! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

robert.

Postby robert. » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:13 pm

Judge Judy show. It's hard to believe there is an endless supply of halfwits to keep that show going. J.J. bought the penthouse next to a customer of mine. She lives at 14 Sutton pl. in NYC. Somehow morons help her earn $40.million a year.
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:48 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
MurphOnMillerAve wrote:Anybody have a viewpoint about the "Judge Judy" show?

You've obviously watched both more than me! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Alas, sadly so.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:09 pm

robert. wrote:Somehow morons help her earn $40.million a year.

There are an abundance of them available and she does a volume business, :mrgreen:

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:46 pm

Frank, for my contribution to your thread I would like to present it from the beginning of TV for me if you don't mind.

I think it was 49 or 50 when my dad bought our first TV. It was a Raytheon 17" console, wood (mahogany) had doors on it. A piece of nice furniture with a TV inside We lived in Kansas city and there was only one station. The station started sometime in the late morning and went off that evening.Then all you had was that test pattern as they called it.

First programing I remember for us kids was Howdy Doody, and Kukla, Fran and Ollie. Wed night was boxing night and my dad loved that. The news was on for 15 minutes and that was it. That was when the news was the news and not the 24/7 opinionated entertainment stuff we now have.

We moved to Tuscon in 51/52. Still only had one station. I seem to remember the parents watching The Liberace Show The Kate Smith Show, The Jackie Gleason Show. My dad did not like Jackie Gleason. Sat morning was for the kids. The "Buster Brown gang" show with froggy the gremlin and Crusader Rabbit

We then moved to California and now we have 4 stations. Life was good. For the family it was Sun night. The Ed Sullivan show and Walt Disney's Disneyland, 1954 Davy Crockett. And then there was Your Hit Parade. That was what got me interested in listening to music. The beginning years of rock & roll.

But now there is a change taking place in us boys. They call it Puberty and now for some reason we find girls attractive. Coming home after school I was watching The Mickey Mouse Club with Annette Funicello. I think we were all in love with her. Spin and Marty serial was my favorite.

And then there was American Bandstand. We all had our favorite girls that seemed to be on that show all the time. In California we had a counterpoint to American Bandstand. It was called make believe ballroom with Al Jarvis. My girlfriend at the time and I went to the studio a couple of times and got on the show.

I imagine this is getting boring for most to read so I will bail out and let it go at this point.

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:51 pm

That was hardly boring info, Hondo. It's very nice to learn what people value, have had, and what influences brought them to this point in their lives.
We never had those wonderful, very fashionable doors on our TVs, but our first Admiral had a blond cabinet and was the first TV in the whole neighborhood. Numerous neighbors had a standing-invitation to come to our house to watch certain shows anytime they wanted. No kidding. They would bring their own snacks and share them, or my parents would provide the snacks. I remember the camaraderie the most. My folks were very popular figures in town, even before the TV arrived, but those open-house weekly television events nearly got my father elected mayor.

Sid Cesar and Imogne Coca was a favorite show, as was Jackie Gleason's "Show of Shows" (I think I got that title correct) and, of course "The Honeymooners." I remember cartoons on Saturdays, too. And I LOVED Kookla, Fran, and Ollie. I think that show originated in my hometown of Pittsburgh. I think Fran was the first crush I ever had on a woman. She was so very pleasant and friendly, a lot like many of the very warm and pleasant nuns who taught me in grade school.

Wasn't there a show called "Sky King," too? Also, Captain Video.

I think Clarabell, on Howdy Doody later, became Capt. Kangaroo, right? "Princess Summer-Fall-Winter-Spring" was another woman I had a crush on, as a kid.

And I recall Sophie Tucker singing on a show, too. I liked her a lot , too, but didn't tell any of my friends.

And I had a Schwinn Black Phantom bike, too, with big fat tires and wide chrome fenders and a real leather saddle-seat; headlight that worked and a taillight, too. (Just added that for the sheer joy of the memory coming back to me.) :D

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:02 am

Seaboard Air Line Fan wrote:Other than Big Bang Theory I rarely watch any commercial TV these days. ...

:D I can't watch that show because of the insufferable vanity and egotism of that main character, Sheldon (I think that's his name.) In complete contrast, my wife never misses a show. If Sheldon had been a kid in my neighborhood grade school or high school he would have been shunned or beat-up, I am sure :twisted: .

Return to “The Club Car Lounge”