What's New on the PRR Panhandle 2.0?

All Facets of O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading
User avatar
healey36
Posts: 7004
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:43 pm
Location: Westminster, MD

Re: What's New on the PRR Panhandle 2.0?

Postby healey36 » Wed May 07, 2025 8:31 am

Congratulations, George, the model looks terrific. I expect one might learn a bit about steel-making studying your work.

Paul R.

User avatar
G3750
Posts: 4349
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:02 pm
Location: Cranberry Township, PA USA

Re: What's New on the PRR Panhandle 2.0?

Postby G3750 » Wed May 07, 2025 3:20 pm

healey36 wrote:Congratulations, George, the model looks terrific. I expect one might learn a bit about steel-making studying your work.

Paul R.


Thanks, Paul!

:lol: Well, I certainly did learn quite a bit about 1950's steel-making technology. I studied Chapter 13 - The Open Hearth of The Making, Shaping, and Treating of Steel (1957 edition) pretty extensively. And of course, that has all the advantages of being proficient in a dead language, e.g. Latin. :roll:

So, I've got that going for me. :lol:

George
What is a 'Conservative'? "Someone who wants society and policy to recognize objective reality- economic, biological, and historical."

—Katy Faust

User avatar
G3750
Posts: 4349
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:02 pm
Location: Cranberry Township, PA USA

Re: What's New on the PRR Panhandle 2.0?

Postby G3750 » Sat Jun 07, 2025 10:48 am

Updated 6/7/2025:

Since the pipe bridge was installed, I attended the Pennsylvania Railroad Technical & Historical Society's Annual Meeting in Harrisburg last month. I've also been busy weathering slag and hot metal cars.

IMG_0667.JPEG
IMG_0667.JPEG (1.42 MiB) Viewed 16189 times


IMG_0853.JPEG
IMG_0853.JPEG (2.93 MiB) Viewed 16189 times


I'm working on a project to make removable lighted loads for these cars for use during operating sessions.

And I have started construction on the Crawford's Crossing (Main Street / WV Route 2 & 22) overpass.

Short Trestle-Overpass Diagram v026.jpg
Short Trestle-Overpass Diagram v026.jpg (169.26 KiB) Viewed 16189 times


The piers will be wood, which I will glue together and paint a concrete color.
IMG_0895.JPEG
IMG_0895.JPEG (2.04 MiB) Viewed 16189 times


More when I know it. :wink:

George
What is a 'Conservative'? "Someone who wants society and policy to recognize objective reality- economic, biological, and historical."

—Katy Faust

gregj410
Posts: 2638
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:19 pm
Location: Maryland

Re: What's New on the PRR Panhandle 2.0?

Postby gregj410 » Mon Jun 09, 2025 9:26 pm

I'm working on a project to make removable lighted loads for these cars for use during operating sessions.


Evans designs may have something that will work for you. I’ve used their flickering LED’s in barrels to simulate fire. They look pretty good to me.

User avatar
G3750
Posts: 4349
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:02 pm
Location: Cranberry Township, PA USA

Re: What's New on the PRR Panhandle 2.0?

Postby G3750 » Mon Jun 09, 2025 10:55 pm

gregj410 wrote:
I'm working on a project to make removable lighted loads for these cars for use during operating sessions.


Evans designs may have something that will work for you. I’ve used their flickering LED’s in barrels to simulate fire. They look pretty good to me.


Thanks Greg, that's who I ordered from. We're still working on the right configuration. I will post that when it's done.

George
What is a 'Conservative'? "Someone who wants society and policy to recognize objective reality- economic, biological, and historical."

—Katy Faust

User avatar
G3750
Posts: 4349
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:02 pm
Location: Cranberry Township, PA USA

Re: What's New on the PRR Panhandle 2.0?

Postby G3750 » Sat Oct 03, 2026 9:28 pm

Updated 10/3/2026:

It's been awhile since I posted progress on the layout. There's been a lot:
  • Completed the highway overpass known as Crawford's Crossing - about 16' long - including lights, railings, piers.
  • Built a staircase from the overpass to the mill floor
  • Rebuilt the Blooming Mill, adding a more realistic billboard, a soaking pit, weathering, and a spur track
  • Converted and detailed a NJ Custom Brass yard structure into a Weirton Steel yard tower.
  • Installed a 2' high divider with backdrops - one side is Weirton Junction and the other is the City of Weirton

All of this should be visible if I can get this shared iCloud album link to work. Please let me know if it doesn't work.

https://photos.icloud.com/shared/album/076rNmUePDs8uKL7Ak5paULBw

George
What is a 'Conservative'? "Someone who wants society and policy to recognize objective reality- economic, biological, and historical."

—Katy Faust

User avatar
webenda
Posts: 15418
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2005 4:05 pm
Location: Columbia

Re: What's New on the PRR Panhandle 2.0?

Postby webenda » Sun Oct 04, 2026 2:36 pm

G3750 wrote:Updated 10/3/2026:
All of this should be visible if I can get this shared iCloud album link to work. Please let me know if it doesn't work.
George

Good to see you back, George.
How about I let you know it works?
That yard tower looks great!
Image........Yard Tower by George, on iCloud
Any photos you would like posted on Model Train Journal, or perhaps none (remove the yard tower photo)?
----Wayne----

Back when I was growing up, if you didn't start someth'n, there wouldn't be noth'n.
--Merle Haggard

User avatar
Rufus T. Firefly
Posts: 42171
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
Location: To be Determined

Re: What's New on the PRR Panhandle 2.0?

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Oct 05, 2026 4:32 pm

G3750 wrote:All of this should be visible if I can get this shared iCloud album link to work. Please let me know if it doesn't work.


It works just fine!

You've been busy!
We do not have to visit a madhouse to find disordered minds; our planet is the mental institution of the universe.

User avatar
G3750
Posts: 4349
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:02 pm
Location: Cranberry Township, PA USA

Re: What's New on the PRR Panhandle 2.0?

Postby G3750 » Mon Oct 05, 2026 6:45 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
G3750 wrote:All of this should be visible if I can get this shared iCloud album link to work. Please let me know if it doesn't work.


It works just fine!

You've been busy!


Good to hear from you, Rufus!

Yes, I have been busy. We are moving along. I have been working on the major items on the tracked parts of the layout. I am looking at the western half (Steubenville) with the idea of getting cookie-cutter track supports built and track laid in the next 6-9 months. Still lots of structures and scenery work left on the Weirton peninsula. And the city of Steubenville is completely non-existent. But yes, significant progress has taken place.

George
What is a 'Conservative'? "Someone who wants society and policy to recognize objective reality- economic, biological, and historical."

—Katy Faust


Return to “O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 62 guests