whatizit?

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
ScaleCraft

whatizit?

Postby ScaleCraft » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:25 pm

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-2-Rail ... 2980324535
Chipped and dented, handrails pulled out of cab, backhead looks...strange.
Is that All-Nation trucks with Delrin chain and no chain on one? Seller says "broken gear".
Open frame motor,
Plate on cab says "American".

Who made it?
Dave....collector, restorer, and operator of the finest doorstops

Rufus T. Firefly

Re: whatizit?

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:41 am

ScaleCraft wrote:Is that All-Nation trucks with Delrin chain and no chain on one?

Not All-Nation trucks - way better sideframes.

Seller had this listed as All-Nation, but pulled it just before it sold the 1st time and re-listed it.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

E7

Postby E7 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:58 am

ScaleCraft wrote:https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-2-Rail-O-Scale-Brass-Alco-S-1-Diesel-Locomotive-DNR/392980324535
Is that All-Nation trucks with Delrin chain and no chain on one? Seller says "broken gear".
Open frame motor,
Plate on cab says "American".

Who made it?

Custom Brass?

Definitely no chain on one truck

American = builders plate as in American Locomotive Company

"Alco-S-1-Diesel-Locomotive-DNR/392980324535
Is that All-Nation trucks with Delrin chain and no chain on one? Seller says "broken gear"."

So what.....starting bid was only $9.99

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:16 am

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
ScaleCraft wrote:Is that All-Nation trucks with Delrin chain and no chain on one?

Not All-Nation trucks - way better sideframes.

Seller had this listed as All-Nation, but pulled it just before it sold the 1st time and re-listed it.

Sideframes, no. Sure looks like the power truck itself is A-N. Down the the split shaft to allow wheelbase adjustments.

Somebody wants it.

$268 and counting.
Dave....collector, restorer, and operator of the finest doorstops

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:34 am

ScaleCraft wrote:[Sure looks like the power truck itself is A-N. Down the the split shaft to allow wheelbase adjustments.

Or are they CWL? I don't know.

Somebody wants it.

$268 and counting.

Several somebodies......not too many choices out there for a brass S1 switcher.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

Chris Webster

Postby Chris Webster » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:36 am

I think it was imported by Custom Brass / NJ International.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:39 am

Chris Webster wrote:I think it was imported by Custom Brass / NJ International.

Yes, I was thinking Custom Brass.

prrjim

Postby prrjim » Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:35 pm

I am pretty sure is is an NJCB (Custom Brass) import from about the 80s.

At that time NJ Custom Brass imported models of RS1s, S1, S2, S3, S4 locos and as far as I know used All Nation drives. I think they imported the superstructures and finished the assembly in the USA, but not sure. The Trucks are cast brass, the gearboxes, wheelsets, tower, motor are All Nation.

I have an S1 and an RS1 from this series. That is just the way the look.

All Nation sold replacement Pittman can motors for them for awhile in the late 90s or so.

prrjim

Postby prrjim » Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:35 pm

I am pretty sure is is an NJCB (Custom Brass) import from about the 80s.

At that time NJ Custom Brass imported models of RS1s, S1, S2, S3, S4 locos and as far as I know used All Nation drives. I think they imported the superstructures and finished the assembly in the USA, but not sure. The Trucks are cast brass, the gearboxes, wheelsets, tower, motor are All Nation.

I have an S1 and an RS1 from this series. That is just the way the look.

All Nation sold replacement Pittman can motors for them for awhile in the late 90s or so.

E7

Postby E7 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:35 pm

Jim, You're broadcasting in stereo! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think everone agrees: Custom Brass

I always laugh when someone says "New Jersey" Custom Brass

Actually Nick and Jack

Should have called it JN Custom Brass.....saved a lot of red faces

Chris Webster

Postby Chris Webster » Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:47 pm

prrjim wrote:At that time NJ Custom Brass imported models of RS1s, S1, S2, S3, S4 locos and as far as I know used All Nation drives. I think they imported the superstructures and finished the assembly in the USA, but not sure. The Trucks are cast brass, the gearboxes, wheelsets, tower, motor are All Nation.
Anyone know where I might find a "blunt" truck sideframe for a NJ Custom Brass Alco S2?

prrjim

Postby prrjim » Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:10 pm

Sorry about the double post. I hit submit, and it did not go back to the original screen, so I hit it again. This time only once!

E7

Postby E7 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:57 pm

Jim, No big deal!

De Bruin

Postby De Bruin » Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:21 pm

My impression of "Nick & Jack" CB is mixed; on the one hand this S2 with a sturdy carbody (opinion, my experience) and decent drive to begin with is pretty good. I saw this and thought at "ooo yeah, like these"
On the other hand some of their more "esoteric" production (Bi-Polers, Centipedes etc) have decent car bodies but (opinion) drives derived from the very pit of hell.
Then there's the more pedestrian models like the E-8 fail with it's almost Wentzco-like nose treatment; when it looks that weird it better run real good and again my experience they didn't . I imagine NJ models have periodically kept Jay busy for awhile now.
Litigation Crisis Consultant- remediating legal-media issues; mitigating federal, state and local investigations, court orders etc. Your serial felony history, contractual defaults, bankruptcies no big deal.
contact morbo@getoffthehook.com

E7

Postby E7 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:53 am

De Bruin wrote:My impression of "Nick & Jack" CB is mixed; on the one hand this S2 with a sturdy carbody (opinion, my experience) and decent drive to begin with is pretty good. I saw this and thought at "ooo yeah, like these"
On the other hand some of their more "esoteric" production (Bi-Polers, Centipedes etc) have decent car bodies but (opinion) drives derived from the very pit of hell.
Then there's the more pedestrian models like the E-8 fail with it's almost Wentzco-like nose treatment; when it looks that weird it better run real good and again my experience they didn't . I imagine NJ models have periodically kept Jay busy for awhile now.

Pete, I am not in any way shape or form an expert on NJCB, but from the little I know I'm guessing the stuff goes all over the map. I don't know when their last import was, but I'm guessing last century. They may have had the bodies done overseas and powered them here in the US, if they were using all nation drives and such. The stuff comes up so seldom it can be hard to identify, and if they were using random sources of power it makes it really hard to quantify the "running" quality. Some of it must have been pretty decent or there would be a lot more of it on places like Ebay. I saw a T1 at one of the early Eastern O Scalers meets I attended and it was a really good looking piece and sold for $2600, which was a pile at the time.

I agree the CB E8 (no dashes were in the EMD nomenclature) left a lot to be desired. Curves are probably the toughest thing to get correct. The headlight section on the 1/1 Loco was hand made, and there are pictures of EMD employees on the hoods grinding down Bondo filler to get the contours of the hood/nose correct!

Rich

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”