Just Couldn't Pass It Up

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
Jay Criswell

Just Couldn't Pass It Up

Postby Jay Criswell » Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:29 am

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133559041798

Yeah, I really didn't need another Lost Wax Mike kit but I couldn't pass up the price. Dennis did some of the castings on this particular model also. As Bob can attest, done properly, these are great models that hold their own, even by today's standards.

Might be fun to do one in P:48 too.

Jay

Rufus T. Firefly

Re: Just Couldn't Pass It Up

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:38 am

Sure and you needed more to do.........Winter is coming.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

De Bruin

Postby De Bruin » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:23 am

I'm curious: does the intact frame on this as-is provide enough clearance to narrow the wheel gauge of the drivers to Proto48? Is the difference that minor? Maybe a "less-dumb" question is have you ever encountered a locomotive that required you to narrow the driver frame accordingly?
Litigation Crisis Consultant- remediating legal-media issues; mitigating federal, state and local investigations, court orders etc. Your serial felony history, contractual defaults, bankruptcies no big deal.
contact morbo@getoffthehook.com

Jay Criswell

Postby Jay Criswell » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:35 am

Pete (right?),

It should work out. A little here and a little there. Removing a bit of material from the back side of the driver hub and a little from the face of the axle bearing should suffice. Shoot, who knows, it might actually happen...someday. That or my future Estate Sale.

I may try to sell the one I bought that was advertised as a Lobaugh Mike but was more Berk than anything. Wanna buy a Berk/Mike Lobaugh kit? :D :lol:

Jay

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:24 pm

Maybe. Cast iron drivers?

Good thing I didn't see this one - the drivers alone look like they are worth most of the price. The tender might be a sleeper, with a riveted wrapper and PSC clamps to hold it to the frame. Full rivets on cab wrapper, and genuine Lobaugh Mike boiler.

Jay - when it arrives, get us a shot of those tender truck sideframes. They look very SP-ish, yet PSC quality, from here.

I am happy that I did not bid against my friend Jay, and pleased that he picked this one off. I suppose now we have to endure photos of completed Lost Wax Mikes?

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:31 pm

bob turner wrote:I suppose now we have to endure photos of completed Lost Wax Mikes?

Are you sure that they won't get lost amidst the flood of other modeling that gets posted here?
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

Jay Criswell

Postby Jay Criswell » Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:38 pm

Bob,

Ya know the model sat there for a week with no bids. I thought about it but didn't want to get into a bidding war. Nobody bid on it and the seller re-listed it with a buy it now for $225. Again, just couldn't pass it up.

The best one I've observed was the one Si owned. Told me it was built by Spanknoble. Late in the game Si offered it to me & Don Miller. I really wanted it but didn't have the coin. Don bought it and, after his passing, it was sold.

Don;t you have a photo of the Spanknoble model. If not, I know you do have photos of built models. I also assume you built the one Bob has on his website. Here's a link, http://stevensonpreservationlines.com/p ... ucts_id=64

Jay

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:51 pm

I think so - may take me some time to find it.

No- I didn’t build the Stevenson Mike. Nice job, though?

Some of the photos I shall post are multiple repeats - easy, now, with Shutterworth.

On the frame narrowing - plenty of those machined frames exist. Get an extra pair from Bob and use narrower frame spreaders, or just mill about .050 off each side.

Might reduce the value of the completed model (my spouse is semi-frosted with my narrow gauge models). Si had the right idea - get this stuff in the right hands for redistribution. Screw the profits.

Jay Criswell

Postby Jay Criswell » Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:09 pm

Bob,

Truth be told, I have an extra frame. Yeah, Si was a keeper.

Jay

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:15 pm

I have to move some photos -but the airport is calling. Here is my version for about the tenth time on this forum. More to come.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:56 pm

This one was captured at OSW by Gersh Thomson - here for a little work. Appears to be genuine lost wax, although not the very best version

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:00 pm

Jay - is this the Spanknoble?

Jay Criswell

Postby Jay Criswell » Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:50 pm

Bob,

I can't swear to it but there are some similarities to models belonging to Si. If it isn't, it is very close.

Jay

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”