Wow

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
Rufus T. Firefly

Re: Wow

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:08 pm

ScaleCraft wrote:Same seller, interesting fit of parts:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/PRR-Pennsylvan ... 4434683217

I want to say that's a LWS kit based on the drive and other bits.

Same seller. Same builder it looks like. Small dings, cab for a B&O 0-4-0 looks too long (opinion), had to think a bit on the valve gear/eccentric on engineer's side...realized the reverse rod from the cab had come adrift and was laying on the eccentric.
I don't recall ever seeing a reverse taper on a US steam engine stack before. Learned something new, eye guess.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/B-O-Baltimore- ... 4432278692

That's most probably an IMP product from the 50s based on a Jpn prototype.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:46 pm

Well now even I could see problems on the N&W loco at first glance. I like to look at the pics before I read what you guys have to say about them and I did see the bumps and bruises on this.
Something just doesn't seem right with the B&O switcher. I saw a lot of B&O locos in my younger days but don't remember any painted quite like that.
I had to look a while at the smokebox front and could see those two odd things that I couldn't figure out. Never would have guessed what they were there for.

I am still amazed at the prices asked for some of this stuff especially seeing the condition and not knowing if it runs.
I have sold and bought at local train shows and think that I have always done pretty good and did not con anybody.
If anything I have a tendency to underprice my stuff. I understand that quite often what is being sold on e-bay is
being sold by a fairly large dealer who only cares about getting stuff out of his hands.

I had a good friend who did very well on e-bay selling Lionel parts, especially re-built e-units. He guaranteed them and would even pay shipping if needed.
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

De Bruin

Postby De Bruin » Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:47 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
ScaleCraft wrote:Same seller, interesting fit of parts:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/PRR-Pennsylvan ... 4434683217

I want to say that's a LWS kit based on the drive and other bits.

I think you're right, per Stephenson the original LWS centipede (as well as the "Jersey Janus") had cabs supplied as four different castings (bell metal?) with the upper windshield and cab roof as the most problematic part to "integrate" with the rest. The seams around the cab seem to corroborate that, it appears here that the upper part was either replaced or dorked up enough to result in the excessive overhand and poorly fitted slope portion up to the roof.
Stephenson's re-issue of the Janus was re-engineered to have one piece nose/cab castings.
This is very interesting, those B trucks in particular on these are sooooo strange, wish I could find a pair of them.
Thanks for posting!
Litigation Crisis Consultant- remediating legal-media issues; mitigating federal, state and local investigations, court orders etc. Your serial felony history, contractual defaults, bankruptcies no big deal.
contact morbo@getoffthehook.com

E7

Postby E7 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:49 pm

My take on that one is what might result if someone tried to create a centipede from memory. It is recognizable, but it is immediately apparent that SOMETHING is amiss.......well, maybe a lot of things are amiss. :mrgreen: Not saying I could do better, just that I know enough NOT to try. :lol:

Chris Webster

Postby Chris Webster » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:26 am

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
bob turner wrote:Milepost 38 Toy Trains / Arnie's Model Trains is the largest train center on the West Coast!
Located in Orange County, CA. Open 6 Days a week!

They're a real retail store:
About Us - Milepost 38 has been serving the region’s model railroad enthusiasts since 2001
I visited the old store a couple of times, but that was 10 to 15 years ago.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:08 am

I doubt I wrote that. Had no idea there was a train store in Westminster.

E7

Postby E7 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:05 am

bob turner wrote:I doubt I wrote that. Had no idea there was a train store in Westminster.

Correct. Mr. Firefly made that statement on page one of this thread. Just an accident that you got credited for the quote. While trying to figure out how you were tagged for a post you didn't make, I took another look at the supposed LWS centipede (and I do think it is LWS), I took a close look at the paint and decaling and it is VERY nicely done. Note the closeup shot of the cab. That work deserved a more accurate model.

Here is the original listing with pics:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PRR-Pennsylvan ... 7675.l2557

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:12 am

E7 wrote:Just an accident that you got credited for the quote.

Someone was sloppy editing my post within the repost. Looking at the Preview function tends to limit that from happening.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

E7

Postby E7 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:04 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:Someone was sloppy editing my post within the repost. Looking at the Preview function tends to limit that from happening.

DEFINITELY a good tool to use, along with a spellchecker, and a simple
proofreading before you post. :wink:

De Bruin

Postby De Bruin » Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:19 pm

E7 wrote:..........That work deserved a more accurate model.

Agreed, they took it a long way in most all respects and then sadly booted the cab roof fit terribly.
I really would love to see just what the original LWS kit for this looked like. Probably the stuff of recurring nightmares.
Also note, no roof antenna either.
Litigation Crisis Consultant- remediating legal-media issues; mitigating federal, state and local investigations, court orders etc. Your serial felony history, contractual defaults, bankruptcies no big deal.
contact morbo@getoffthehook.com

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”