Southern Pacific Steam 2020

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
Rufus T. Firefly

Re: Southern Pacific Steam 2020

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:38 pm

Last edited by Rufus T. Firefly on Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

R.K. Maroon

Postby R.K. Maroon » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:03 pm

bob turner wrote:The prewar Lobaugh Mikes and Mountains hold a particular fascination for me. Way better than Scale Craft, and maybe a bit more accurate

The Scale-Craft Mikado is an ATSF prototype while the Lobaugh is SP, so comparisons there are somewhat apples and oranges (though I do agree that the sheet-metal construction of the Lobaugh is superior to the cast construction of the Scale-Craft in term of accuracy of detail). However, if the Lobaugh SP mountain is only "maybe a bit more accurate" than the Scale-Craft, I am curious what the measure is that makes the former "way better" than the latter. I was discussing this with John Fisher just three days ago and he thought the Scale-Craft made the better model.

Jim
Slow progress is better than no progress

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:39 pm

Beautiful paint.
Please remember that my eyes are messed up.
It looks to me that the loco tapres down from the front to the rear and the tendertapers the opposite.
That means it is sort of low where the loco and the tender meet. The question is is that true?
Or is it my eyes? This IS a serious question.
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:34 pm

Roger - it does look like that, doesn't it? I will put a straightedge on that top stripe tomorrow. Pretty sure the tender is level.

Martin - I talk to myself incessantly, and generally only stop when strangers approach. But I do not enjoy talking to myself on forums.

I'm not so needy as to require responses. They are looked at; demanding responses is beyond my kenning.

I am needy enough to want responses. I do not demand them, but why bother posting if there is no conversation to be had?

Maroon - Scale Craft had mechanically superior mechanisms, but Lobaugh made an effort to make the main frame more prototypically accurate. Lobaugh drivers appear to me to be a cut above Scale Craft. Lobaugh attempted firebox detail. The Lobaugh brass 16000 gal. tank is light-years ahead of the S/C slump metal casting.

I will return to the Mountains, with a comparison. Of course Lobaugh never made a true SP Pacific or an NYC Hudson, and S/C never made an SP Mike, but park a Lobaugh Mike next to a Scale Craft Mike. No contest. Opinion, of course.

Dennis Holler

Postby Dennis Holler » Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:44 pm

All's I know is the I can afford junk box Scale craft and I find them often enough which probably means they are junky enough most won't waste time on them lol. It is what it is, I take what I can get since I don't ever get to any shows. After finally having picked up the SC SP Mountain tender, I definitely can see what you mean, it is a bit lacking compared to the rest of the presentation. I've got two SP loco's plus a boiler, might cut the extra down and try and convert it to the P13 SP Pacific since I have a couple of spare pacific frames.
Doorstop Rookie

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:22 pm

Might be possible. Let me know if you need dimensions. Might just advertise in MRR or on line.

Those of you interested in Scale Craft should know that Carey has a couple threads going in OGR. I added a few photos a minute ago.

For this thread, let me see if I can do a side-by-side of the Lobaugh and S/C Mountains:

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:28 pm

I should note that the Lobaugh was my first - no boiler bands, no lagging clamps, etc. The Scale Craft has had extensive upgrades since arriving, including boiler bands and piping. I hate blind drivers, but they shall remain on this one, since it has some remaining historical significance.

The tender that came with 4328 was a hodge-podge - Adams framework, Lobaugh wrapper. At the time I had never seen a Lobaugh 16000 gal tank, so had no idea - I cut the wrapper and soldered it on the Adams frame. Darn it, the Adams was 17/64, and the wrapper was 1/4". I think the tender in the photo is genuine Lobaugh.

Dennis Holler

Postby Dennis Holler » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:35 pm

I do like that 4328, Maybe I'll get lucky at a Stout Auction someday and land a Lobaugh or two.
Doorstop Rookie

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:00 pm

Bob,
All very nice.
You mention one was a hodge podge. Did it come that way from the manufacturer or become that way by through the wiles of an assembler?
roger

I support thread drift.

J. S. Bach

Postby J. S. Bach » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:01 pm

bob turner wrote:I am needy enough to want responses. I do not demand them, but why bother posting if there is no conversation to be had? ...snip...

Whether I post anything about your photos, I do enjoy looking at them. So keep on posting them.

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:39 pm

J. S. Bach wrote:
bob turner wrote:I am needy enough to want responses. I do not demand them, but why bother posting if there is no conversation to be had? ...snip...

Whether I post anything about your photos, I do enjoy looking at them. So keep on posting them.

I agree but Bob says he needs responses or he doesn't want to post.
roger

I support thread drift.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:08 am

True. You guys respond to eBay postings pretty good - why not semi-decent steam models?

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:47 am

Last edited by Rufus T. Firefly on Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:35 am

I am close. I thought I stuffed it in that PRR thread. I shall check. You may recall the plan was to also do an E3.

Edit - yes - see page 4.

I simply cannot be the only SP nut here - well, on the other hand, that Cab Forward thread died almost instantaneously. Even that All Nation Pacific garners more attention.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:07 pm

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”