Weaver’s Reading G1

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
rogruth

Re: Weaver’s Reading G1

Postby rogruth » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:15 pm

Admittedly these are probably one time events that occurred for specific reasons, like loco soon going to scrap, but I actually saw a PRR T1 and a K4
pulling freight trains in the 1950s. The obvious point is don't say something never happened. I can NOT give specific dates for these but they were in the Mingo Junction, Ohio area. I knew these locos. Both were unmistakable.
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

E7

Postby E7 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:38 pm

I was the only one in my family interested in trains and can recall seeing steam, but had no way of knowing what it was other than PRR. Recall a couple of trips to Enola and remember GG1's and tuscan E's, but I mostly liked the DGLE F's. Too far away to see any detail. Also recall visits to the Harrisburg train station on Market Street at the edge of downtown.

Also rode to Philly with the Cub Scouts. Picked up by an E unit and switched off to a GG1 at H-burg. Those coaches were pretty Spartan!

Railfanning now would drive me to tears. B-O-R-I-N-G! Do you really want to watch a train of 100 bethgons?

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:19 am

You can enjoy the graffiti as it goes by. :wink: :wink: :roll: :roll:
roger

I support thread drift.

sarge

Postby sarge » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:00 pm

Chris Webster wrote:Since you're discussing RDG power, I thought I would ask if you know who made these T-1s that recently sold on feebay:
Ebay 163899514173
and
Ebay 153678882783
Are they KTM, or something else?

The same seller has a N-1 (I think) still available at the time of my posting: Ebay 163899279761

Chris

Its a memory test, but I seem to recall Overland did the T1's in brass back in the '80s, so probably theirs. The N1 is plastic, and my bet would be another of those builds from IHB 0-8-0s one the DeBruins discussed earlier (a Reading 2-8-0 was the earlier subject). There was a guy in the Harrisburg area that did a fair number of Reading builds from Rivarossi IHB kits, beautifully done. A good friend long gone, Ray Jury, had one of his Reading articulateds; the one shown might indeed have been his.
No-one ever forgets where they buried the hatchet.

Chris Webster

Postby Chris Webster » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:40 pm

sarge wrote:Its a memory test, but I seem to recall Overland did the T1's in brass back in the '80s, so probably theirs.
I didn't think they were Overlands since neither model had backhead detail. I have since done some searching and found an April 6, 2019 George Losse blog post that includes pictures of an OMI T-1 and a Bill Wolfer T-1:
2019 Strasburg O Scale Show – April
I also found that Brasstrains once sold a Bill Wolfer/Jerry White T-1 for $1850:
BILL WOLFER CUSTOM RDG READING LINES 4-8-4 T-1 STEAM #2124 W/ JERRY WHITE DRIVE
But after comparing pictures, I still have no idea what the two that sold on ebay are.
sarge wrote: The N1 is plastic, and my bet would be another of those builds from IHB 0-8-0s one the DeBruins discussed earlier (a Reading 2-8-0 was the earlier subject). There was a guy in the Harrisburg area that did a fair number of Reading builds from Rivarossi IHB kits, beautifully done. A good friend long gone, Ray Jury, had one of his Reading articulateds; the one shown might indeed have been his.
Once you said IHB 0-8-0, it became clear to me that the mechanism looks like two AHM mechanisms connected together.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:44 pm

John Young (RIP) and his New England buddies produced a Reading T1 kit. Sorta wished I had bought one. John was a very nice person and a good modeler.

sarge

Postby sarge » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:18 am

I just casually read the T1 description and let memory take its course (lazy ol' ****** that I am). Actually giving the T1 photos a proper study I believe you're right, Bob. Certainly would be that era, what with the KTM boxes.

I remember John well. He was the guy that taught me a lot about building B&M steam, such things as using that old Consolidation kit (Early in the morning; was it Pearce?) to build K8s. I ended up building three of them. Between him and John Peterson they taught me a million tricks and nuances for modelling B&M.
No-one ever forgets where they buried the hatchet.

Chris Webster

Postby Chris Webster » Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:52 pm

sarge wrote:my bet would be another of those builds from IHB 0-8-0s one the DeBruins discussed earlier (a Reading 2-8-0 was the earlier subject).
FWIW, I came across two auctions of interesting kitbashes of AHM plastic steam models:
eBay #202851200762, AHM 2 rail O scale Static Northern Pacific Y-2 2-8-0 locomotive, sold for $22.91

eBay #https://www.ebay.com/itm/202856041133?nma=true, AHM 4-6-0 modified to look very close to a Great Northern E class 10 wheeler

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:56 pm

Good Lord. Did you see the splatter paint job on EVERYTHING? And how they "removed" the splatter on the tender to put the GN decals on, but didn't on the cab?

The "train" behind it appears to have the same splatter applied.

I have spent weeks with Polly S pit and decal remover...and q-tips...getting weathering OFF.
Dave....collector, restorer, and operator of the finest doorstops

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:19 am

Last edited by Rufus T. Firefly on Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

2railjon

Postby 2railjon » Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:19 am

I think someone got a good deal on the Mallet got $349!
Running that red block Charlie.

Chris Webster

Postby Chris Webster » Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:45 pm

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:43 pm

Those three and Jon's all look reall nice to me.
What is your evaluation of the prices? High, medium, low, what?
This is just my curiosity.
roger

I support thread drift.

De Bruin

Postby De Bruin » Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:25 pm

My .02 Roger is the price is low and more reflect the narrative that they have all been rendered from the AHM IHB 0-8-0 (Brooks 1927, Class U-4a, 3 cyl 3 blt). The actually model making looks pretty good to me from here, and I don't know how much of the original AHM drive (which is derived from an HO drive and usually has an operational motor life countable in mere minutes) is actually there. If the drives were say, the CLW retrofit kits or some adaptation of a serious/well designed drive then perhaps would've expected them to go for way higher than what they closed for in the auction.
Stay tuned, a dollar to doughnuts these resurface on E-Bay for a higher listing than their closing price on Stout.

I recall seeing an N&W Y6 bashed out of two AHM 0-8-0's in an issue of MR in the 70's, like these Readings, that's whole a lot of hours for a plastic model, even for me.
Litigation Crisis Consultant- remediating legal-media issues; mitigating federal, state and local investigations, court orders etc. Your serial felony history, contractual defaults, bankruptcies no big deal.
contact morbo@getoffthehook.com

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:52 am

Thank you and I will stay tuned.
roger

I support thread drift.

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”