Claw couplers on an Overland F40PH

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
ScaleCraft

Re: Claw couplers on an Overland F40PH

Postby ScaleCraft » Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:00 pm

Jay Criswell wrote:
Another model just sent to me. Told it didn't run. Took off the shell and found a broken wire (under some heat shrink) right at the Pittman motor. Took about a minute to trouble shoot and another to fix it (gotta wait for the soldering iron to heat up). My point, rarely, is a model that doesn't run, have huge issues. It's all mostly basic stuff that really hasn't changed much in 50 to 70 years, or more.

Jay

Same one in question?
Light switch hanging out the side and wires pinched between shell and frame?
Opinion. Somebody lists something with those obvious issues, then 3-rail couplers, and doesn't run..to pay that kind of money doesn't seem right.
Must be rare, vintage, collectible, all I can figure.
Yeah, fix can be easy. One never knows. Seen some real winners when you take the shell off.
Dave....collector, restorer, and operator of the finest doorstops

Jay Criswell

Postby Jay Criswell » Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:03 pm

Just curious....how many wheel trucks did those other ones you worked on have, 4 or 6? I'm guessing the 4 wheel ones on the model in the link were not original. Thanks.

The customer sent me a Phase II and a Phase III. Like the prototypes, both had Blomberg 4 wheel trucks. I did find out later there were differences between the trucks. I think the one in the link is an unlettered Phase III.

Neither of the models held any interest for me but I gather modelers that want to run early AMTRAK like them and will pay accordingly.

If memory serves, USH imported the F40 & FP45. Prior with 4 wheel trucks and the latter with 6. I seem to remember the FP was quite a bit longer and had a larger fuel tank. Not my era so I really didn't pay that much attention.

Jay
Last edited by Jay Criswell on Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

E7

Postby E7 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:09 pm

I did a bit of research and these locos had 2 axle trucks. What made things a bit confusing is the drawing with the 3 axle trucks shown in the BT.Com pics. I thought maybe (considering the lobster claws) that a 3 railer had changed the trucks to accommodate sharp 3 rail radii, but the great Wiki states they had 2 axle trucks, so the lobster claws remain confusing.

Just saw your post Jay.....Thank You!!!

Chris Webster

Postby Chris Webster » Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:00 pm

FWIW, the F40PH is the subject of a once-popular internet meme that started back in 2007: Know Your Meme: F40PH

It also made its way into the Urban Dictionary - f40ph.

Chris Webster

Postby Chris Webster » Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:20 pm

A mintish OMI F40PH sold on ebay today for $1,999.99:
Ebay #203166019014 - Vintage O Gauge 2 Rail Overland Brass Train Amtrak F40PH Ph. II Diesel Engine
The pictures show how OMI factory painted them black and silver, but left the decals in the box.

The seller has sold several brass pieces quickly by listing them at extremely high prices, then showing a price-cut of 20%:
Seller's Sold Items
The F40 sold in just a few hours.... and, as long as I'm linking, here's an OMI P&LE A-2 that the seller also sold very quickly:
Ebay #193733458267 - Vintage O Gauge 2 Rail Overland Brass Train P&LE A-2 2-8-4 Steam Engine & Tender
The A-2 is, IMHO, the neatest steam engine OMI ever imported. (Note that I'm not saying that the A-2 ios the neatest steam engine ever, just that it is the neatest steam model OMI imported.)

robert.

Postby robert. » Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:04 pm

Chris Webster wrote:A mintish OMI F40PH sold on ebay today for $1,999.99:
Ebay #203166019014 - Vintage O Gauge 2 Rail Overland Brass Train Amtrak F40PH Ph. II Diesel Engine
The pictures show how OMI factory painted them black and silver, but left the decals in the box.

The seller has sold several brass pieces quickly by listing them at extremely high prices, then showing a price-cut of 20%:
Seller's Sold Items
The F40 sold in just a few hours.... and, as long as I'm linking, here's an OMI P&LE A-2 that the seller also sold very quickly:
Ebay #193733458267 - Vintage O Gauge 2 Rail Overland Brass Train P&LE A-2 2-8-4 Steam Engine & Tender
The A-2 is, IMHO, the neatest steam engine OMI ever imported. (Note that I'm not saying that the A-2 ios the neatest steam engine ever, just that it is the neatest steam model OMI imported.)

I took a glance at his sold items. one lot was a few vintage credit cards. I was about to call bs on the price he got. After a quick check on eBay i realized people buy old Credit cards. I have a box full. A sheet load from deceased family members. Thanks for posting that.
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:19 am

robert. wrote:I took a glance at his sold items. one lot was a few vintage credit cards. I was about to call bs on the price he got. After a quick check on eBay i realized people buy old Credit cards. I have a box full. A sheet load from deceased family members. Thanks for posting that.

It's truly amazing what people will buy. Exploit it to the max :!: I love having people pay me to send them my trash
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

E7

Postby E7 » Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:39 am

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
robert. wrote:I took a glance at his sold items. one lot was a few vintage credit cards. I was about to call bs on the price he got. After a quick check on eBay i realized people buy old Credit cards. I have a box full. A sheet load from deceased family members. Thanks for posting that.

It's truly amazing what people will buy. Exploit it to the max :!: I love having people pay me to send them my trash

The first item ever sold on Ebay was a BROKEN pen. It amazed the owner/originator of the auction, Pierre (can't recall his last name at the moment). The winning bidder explained he collected broken pens. I am guessing it was an easy win, but I don't know much about the busted pen market! :lol:

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”