ID these senior citizens?

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
De Bruin

ID these senior citizens?

Postby De Bruin » Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:36 pm

Been cataloguing the contents of an old collection donated to the downtown club last fall (got the time for this these days)
and came across one I couldn't match to the catalogs or Jim's surveys, and Jim was unable to ID as well.
This appears to be 17/64's and appears to have bronze tank and cast frame. It is mega-heavy. Anyone recognize the models manufacturer?
Last edited by De Bruin on Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Litigation Crisis Consultant- remediating legal-media issues; mitigating federal, state and local investigations, court orders etc. Your serial felony history, contractual defaults, bankruptcies no big deal.
contact morbo@getoffthehook.com

ScaleCraft

Re: ID this senior citizen?

Postby ScaleCraft » Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:37 pm

mis-matched ScaleCraft trucks. Was gonna say Thomas, but they had brass channel frames. SC was cast what, lead tank? And rivets?
Dave....collector, restorer, and operator of the finest doorstops

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:33 pm

ScaleCraft wrote:Was gonna say Thomas, but they had brass channel frames.

Ends are wrong for Thomas, too. Heavy looking! Interesting dome, too.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:27 pm

Dome appears to be postwar Lobaugh J&L. Rest might be scratch? Sure it is cast?

De Bruin

Postby De Bruin » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:06 pm

The tank has the feel/hardness of an artillery shell, that raised rivet collar around the base of the dome is what separates it from everything else in the catalogue survey provided by Jim, also the top hatch on the dome has small circular hinges and actually opens. On a separate note, there were two Thomas's in the pile and they are surprisingly nice models, if anyone's interested I will clean them up and post them for your perusal.
Litigation Crisis Consultant- remediating legal-media issues; mitigating federal, state and local investigations, court orders etc. Your serial felony history, contractual defaults, bankruptcies no big deal.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:31 pm

De Bruin wrote:............ two Thomas's in the pile and they are surprisingly nice models, if anyone's interested I will clean them up and post them for your perusal.

Sure. Why not?
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:38 pm

A Thomas tank can be saved with three inserts of brass tube. The tank wrapper by itself is not sturdy enough to support the domes and itself in the cradle areas.

Repeating myself - Lobaugh J&L dome. Postwar had an opening hatch and those heavy rivets on the base.

E7

Postby E7 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:45 pm

I'm with Pete regarding the collar at the base of the dome....never seen anything like it, and I too like the look of the Thomas version.

De Bruin

Re: ID these senior citizens?

Postby De Bruin » Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:06 am

Thanks Rich, and Bob I'll go with it as a Lobaugh J&L dome thanks.
So as promised, here are the two Thomas cars. These really surprised me detail and proportion wise.
From that standpoint (certainly not finish) again think they’re the best tank car models in the pile.
I’d guess everything here was stored in a dirty semi-open area like a barn or shed, these in particular also suffer from chronic clear coat yellowing under the iron tinged red grime. Pretty scabby, anyone know the approximate earliest date for when delrins went into wide spread use?
I’ve attempted some clean-up with 409, Windex and MS silk screen remover which is great for the yellowing lacquer issue though it can’t be applied over the decals without destroying them. I'm on the fence on whether to dip these two off first or sell as-is.
Unlike the previous model this Texaco version has some strange cast trucks, albeit one with Roco-Atlas wheels and the other with scale metal 33's.
Note the resistor wrapping the axle, typical of the entire collection as the original owner utilized an early GE Astrac installation and my understanding is these were used to queue the signal blocks, this got crazier if the car was lighted as in passenger or caboose. You should see the wiring harnesses in the engines (whew)
Here's a close up of the truck, SC Dave couldn't ID' it either and suggested I run it by you guys.
Apparently the original owner got some significant use out of this rolling stock, this intact wheel-flange booger has what appears to be hair in it too.
Thinking now his layout was in the barn.

R.K. Maroon

Postby R.K. Maroon » Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:53 pm

I found some pics of the post-war Lobaugh J&L tank car in my files:

I'd call that dome a match. Good eye, Bob.

Jim
Slow progress is better than no progress

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:46 am

I've seen those old trucks before. Cast or machined brass bolsters, flipped down at the ends with a hole to screw sideframes on. I probably have some here. Trying to remember who made them.

De Bruin

Postby De Bruin » Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:10 pm

I had not seen these trucks before, I would guess sand castings?
Thanks for digging up the shot of the J&L tank Jim,
good catch indeed Bob.

Here's some more mugs from the pile I need some help in ID'ing, these three wearing this neon GN orange-red that the original builder was enthralled with as there are some box cars, additional cabooses sporting it as well. They almost glow in the dark.
As I recall Dave you have a few of these? I can't recall the kit manufacturer though.

I would guess based on those window castings this looks like it was originally an NYC caboose kit wherein the builder substituted a taller coop, and left out a pair of the side windows.
Manufacturer anyone?

I like all three, this last one is intriguing with possibilities, but re-doing kluged wood kits is a chore.Again anyone recognize the source kit?

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:25 pm

De Bruin wrote:Again anyone recognize the source kit?

They make me think Train Craft - if the sides that are pinned on are actually scribed plywood - probably TC bodies.

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:14 pm

depends on which one. Walthers usually, All-Nation (cast aluminum frame and platforms, one piece), Gloor Craft.

Nortonville Phil

Postby Nortonville Phil » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:39 pm

I thought Ambroid made a kit for a short caboose like in the photo. Perhaps it was a NP prototype.
Phil Randall
Trinity Valley Traction Co.
Red Oak, TX

My trolley blog:
http://bluebonnetlimited.blogspot.com/

https://youtube.com/@cug6?si=BCFnDDtUw2eVKamo

Dallas Fort Worth O Scale Modelers

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”