SC

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
ScaleCraft

SC

Postby ScaleCraft » Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:02 pm

https://www.ebay.com/itm/O-SCALE-DIE-CA ... 3623220858

Sure looks like a SC hopper to me. Whoever did this did NOT cut out the extra supports in the end panels to thin up the corner. Nor did they epoxy over the countersunk screw heads before painting and decaling. Then they installed non-SC trucks. However, cursory examination indicates they MIGHT be modified SC sideframes. Pinned top corner, wrong (not as provided) grabs. Never filed to fit the various parts...big gaps. Started with pretty rough castings, gonna take teardown, glass bead, fill and file/sand, fit, re-assemble, install SC trucks, paint and re-decal.

NOT for twenty bucks and thirteen to ship. Sorry, Charlie.

Opinion.
Dave....collector, restorer, and operator of the finest doorstops

De Bruin

Re: SC

Postby De Bruin » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:01 pm

The seller has few other older and interesting cast freight cars though I'm not sure they're all Scale Craft.
I personally like these older cast car bodies but they're of an of an era that I don't really need at the moment and have a lot of already.
Opinion though price wise no complaints. He's consistent with some other seller's with similar model listings too
and I would have likely listed this the same way.
Last edited by De Bruin on Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Litigation Crisis Consultant- remediating legal-media issues; mitigating federal, state and local investigations, court orders etc. Your serial felony history, contractual defaults, bankruptcies no big deal.
contact morbo@getoffthehook.com

J. S. Bach

Postby J. S. Bach » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:55 pm

I think that his pricing (at least on the O scale items) is reasonable enough.

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:21 pm

I suppose it's what you want out of the end product. Let's say you want a Model A Ford. Stock. You see one with a Toyota motor, 49 Dodge bumpers, Plymouth wheels, garage door handles for door handles, and it's painted with a brush. And the seller wants the price of a nice one for it.
This one....rough. Not assembled correctly, Wrong trucks. Wrong grab irons. Painted (effectively) with a brush.
Pass. I know how much work to get it right.

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:44 pm

Just the grabs. Different. Come straight out of the body, radius bend 90 down, for a bit, then radius bend horizontal, inverted other side. I am out. Don't remember the size rod, but don't have any of that, either.
The grabs on the ladder are specifically drilled for all the rungs to hang "down"...except the top one, which curves "up". Requires careful drilling or the "reach" is excessive to the top rung. It's in the instructions.
Not this one. So, if you want it right, pry them all out. Take the body apart. Glass bead. Fill voids and grab holes. File body castings to, you know, FIT. Re-drill for grabs, locate rod, bend up all new grabs, assemble, drill and tap top corner screws (and countersink), epoxy fill, file and sand smooth...refit end sheets. Cut verticals out of ends. prime, paint and decal. Clear to protect.
LOCATE a set of SC trucks (the only easy part for me).
Fun.
Kit came with proper grabs. Not there.
Kit came with proper trucks. Not there

Yes, you can assign zero dollar amount to your labor. Only way one can justify it.
Assign minimum hourly wage, and you'd be better off buying a Max Gray hopper.

Chris Webster

Postby Chris Webster » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:57 am

ScaleCraft wrote: Let's say you want a Model A Ford. Stock. You see one with a Toyota motor, 49 Dodge bumpers, Plymouth wheels, garage door handles for door handles,

Sounds like the perfect prototype for a Woodland Scenics vehicle! :D

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”