Covid-19 projects on the bench

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
Rufus T. Firefly

Covid-19 projects on the bench

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:06 am

These are now sitting off to the side waiting for the paint shop to open.........[:-grumpy]

On to the next pair of cars; figure I might as well build them in pairs for a while....
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

robert.

Re: Covid-19 projects on the bench

Postby robert. » Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:40 am

How will you letter them with the band clamps applied?
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:02 am

Would these be a model of a vinegar tank car or maybe some other corrosive liquid. :?:

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:42 am

robert. wrote:How will you letter them with the band clamps applied?

There is that gap in the middle as well as along the flat edge of the side sill of the car frame where many flat cars were lettered.

HONDO74 wrote:Would these be a model of a vinegar tank car or maybe some other corrosive liquid. :?:

Could be vinegar but not specifically so; they go into the train that I've been building - other car was a "tool & fuel" car......probably just water....
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

sleepmac

Postby sleepmac » Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:05 pm

Rufus, beautiful!

Dan Weinhold

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:36 pm

sleepmac wrote:Rufus, beautiful!

Dan Weinhold

Of course. It wouldn't dare be any other way.

What is the pipe that comes out near the bottom of the tank?
I can't see if it comes out both ends. Looks like a drain to me.
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:46 pm

rogruth wrote:
sleepmac wrote:Rufus, beautiful!

Dan Weinhold

Of course. It wouldn't dare be any other way.

What is the pipe that comes out near the bottom of the tank?
I can't see if it comes out both ends. Looks like a drain to me.

Single end drain -- connect to hose. I have a hose stand for the one car, just no hose as yet.

up148

Postby up148 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:00 am

Not finished, but 1st try at weathering. I heard a flat clear coat would lighten the weathering affect, but I not only lightened it but made it darker. Might be the product I'm using as not model clear coat. I also thought it might be easier to weather before adding ladders and grabs and then weather those items after installed....will see. Still working and learning a lot and haven't had to remove anything yet, just keep adding layers, which chalk is good about. Did a brush wash first which gave the factory paint some tooth for the chalks.

All my UP book photos were taken in the early and late 50's, when these cars were still in operation and not really nasty or rusty....they had to be around into the late 70's or later to see this build date (1937 to 1948) equipment in disrepair.
Attachments
DSC01935.JPG
DSC01935.JPG (352.77 KiB) Viewed 6814 times
DSC01932.JPG
DSC01932.JPG (355.87 KiB) Viewed 6814 times

De Bruin

Postby De Bruin » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:53 pm

Nice Butch, looks good to me, and yeah I think dull coat does darken the object surface almost as if it had a touch of Scalecoat "Grime" or some-such in it. On freight cars it's evolved to the last thing I apply after all touch up, refit and a extra decaling.
This is a very nice dbl door 40', Intermountain?

Rufous, that faucet is an incredible detail to incorporate. I assume you have an access issue to your paint shop? Que pasa?
Also, these are interesting cars structurally, are you working from a photo, or is this a conglomerate of various proto-types?
Also the box structures on the car ends bracing the tanks is not something I'm familiar with but then again pre 1900 freight car design is kind of comparatively obscure for me.
Inquiring minds etc.
Litigation Crisis Consultant- remediating legal-media issues; mitigating federal, state and local investigations, court orders etc. Your serial felony history, contractual defaults, bankruptcies no big deal.
contact morbo@getoffthehook.com

E7

Postby E7 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:23 am

up148 wrote: I also thought it might be easier to weather before adding ladders and grabs and then weather those items after installed....

I think you have the right idea and I am guessing it would eliminate a shadow effect where the ladder or grab or whatever would stop the paint from landing on the cars surface...

Real weathering would be further affected wind and gravity and sun and other outside forces.

Not that I'm a big on weathering guy!

Rich

PS: Looks good to me!

MY pickup truck is weathered (much to my chagrin).

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:31 am

De Bruin wrote:Rufous, that faucet is an incredible detail to incorporate.

Thanks! Got some valves from Wiseman and cored them out for tubing.....

I assume you have an access issue to your paint shop? Que pasa?

SWMBO'd is incredibly sensitive to paint fumes even with the fan, etc running full blast in the shop; easier to just take stuff outdoors -- maybe this weekend. Still need some flat white for one of the reefers......

Also, these are interesting cars structurally, are you working from a photo, or is this a conglomerate of various proto-types?
Also the box structures on the car ends bracing the tanks is not something I'm familiar with but then again pre 1900 freight car design is kind of comparatively obscure for me.
Inquiring minds etc.

Yes and yes. More derived from narrow gauge cars and then scaled back up standard gauge. End structures are very close in design to what was used for vinegar tank cars.

up148

Postby up148 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:12 am

[quoteI think you have the right idea and I am guessing it would eliminate a shadow effect where the ladder or grab or whatever would stop the paint from landing on the cars surface...][/quote]

Turned out to be a positive. Have now installed details and matched them with the chalks and will soon glue the roof on and then go over everything again for a finish. I see so much more I could do, but this project has to end so I can move. But lessons learned will be remembered.

Sadly I learned too late this build of car should have had a metal roof walk. :shock: :lol:

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun May 31, 2020 7:57 am

Good weather so got some paint of the prior pair of cars:

up148

Postby up148 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:27 am

Nice! :D

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:45 pm

up148 wrote:Nice! :D

Thanks! Wrapping up the next pair of cars now.....while building the pair after those......

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”