Laser cut windows for Atlas SW8/9/1200

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
ScaleCraft

Re: Laser cut windows for Atlas SW8/9/1200

Postby ScaleCraft » Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:41 pm

And every time this happens, comments are carefully made to use outside hosting, and invariably folks think it's not their problem, and they keep posting directly anyway.
When this happens, the site owner goes back and trims away EVERYTHING from a certain point backwards, and it's all gone.

Just find a site to host your photos and link from there.
Dave....collector, restorer, and operator of the finest doorstops

E7

Postby E7 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:41 pm

I haven't posted anything other than text and links for eons, but here are couple of other thoughts:

Once upon a time you got a certain amount of storage from your ISP along with your Internet access. Store your stuff there and link to it. I did it that way when I sold on Ebay.

Another thought: as opposed to the good old days (Y2K) memory is not nearly as costly these days. How much would it cost to add memory to the forum? Maybe a modest donation by everyone would be the fix?

Option 3: Can all the stuff in the club car.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:30 pm

E7 wrote:I haven't posted anything other than text and links for eons, but here are couple of other thoughts:

Once upon a time you got a certain amount of storage from your ISP along with your Internet access. Store your stuff there and link to it. I did it that way when I sold on Ebay.

I think those days came and went a long time ago.

Another thought: as opposed to the good old days (Y2K) memory is not nearly as costly these days. How much would it cost to add memory to the forum? Maybe a modest donation by everyone would be the fix?

Been offered and I've not heard a response; it may not have anything to do with adding memory like just buying and installing more; may have more to do with the actual software package for the forum itself being limited. May require a significant upgrade that may not even be available.

I'd rather can the bottom 5 categories off the main page; they rarely get used at all.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:31 pm

I agree with Rufus.
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

E7

Postby E7 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:12 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
E7 wrote:I haven't posted anything other than text and links for eons, but here are couple of other thoughts:

I think those days came and went a long time ago.

I don't know. Maybe so, maybe not. Wouldn't hurt to check.

Been offered and I've not heard a response; it may not have anything to do with adding memory like just buying and installing more; may have more to do with the actual software package for the forum itself being limited. May require a significant upgrade that may not even be available.

Maybe time to ask again. OGR has the feature, and they have a ton more people. I think some kind of response is not too much to expect, even if it is "I don't know." or I don't want to be bothered, and the last is not meant to be critical or sarcastic. It's a perfectly good response.

I'd rather can the bottom 5 categories off the main page; they rarely get used at all.

The problem there is we wouldn't be getting rid of much content. I will be the first to agree that your CVRR pics and others topic is an EPIC piece with a with tons of GREAT images. You host your pics, so maybe it's not even taking much memory. Maybe we need to identify the "memory hogs"? I still think getting more memory is the better cure. At least find out from Mr. Lango's son what the impediments might be. Maybe the occasional purges are the only option. NONE of this is meant to be critical or personal, it's basically WHAT ARE THE OPTIONS IF ANY?

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:44 pm

We've had to move almost all of the web sites for various incarnations of divisional NMRA site that were hosted for free on various internet providers over the past decades. They simply do not want to be bothered with hosting nor with being on the end of various liability issues due to content. The free space that was available from Verizon dried up long ago. The operant word here is free; some would let you stay in a much diminished form for silly money.

You might remember that OGR shifted to a completely different software system for its forum a few years ago. I have little doubt that was due in part to the old version's lack of scalability and support, as well as hosting capacity. I am running into all sorts of these same issues with the OST forum that might spell its demise in the very near future.

Memory hogs -- interesting thought......maybe we make them into bacon? :mrgreen:
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

E7

Postby E7 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:48 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:You might remember that OGR shifted to a completely different software system for its forum a few years ago. I have little doubt that was due in part to the old version's lack of scalability and support, as well as hosting capacity. I am running into all sorts of these same issues with the OST forum that might spell its demise in the very near future.

Remember the OGR change well....it has been a while. The issue with this software may be that it's creator no longer exists, let alone supports it. That's not to demean it, just saying the possible circumstances. In terms of Internet lifespan, it is without a doubt, a venerable oldster. The only option may be axing stuff. That process in itself may be cumbersome, not to mention trying to be selective at the same time.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:35 pm

I am all for thread drift, but this is stuck on a thread that I never open. I almost missed it - I too lament the loss of photos.

E7

Postby E7 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:23 am

bob turner wrote:I am all for thread drift, but this is stuck on a thread that I never open. I almost missed it - I too lament the loss of photos.

That is why I DO NOT care for THREAD DRIFT! It takes exactly TWO clicks to start a new topic within the same forum and 3 clicks in a different one. That way the topic is displayed on the forum listing and not buried under an unrelated topic name, and you are not screwing up someone else's post. Unfortunately, anarchy rules.

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:33 am

E7 wrote:
bob turner wrote:I am all for thread drift, but this is stuck on a thread that I never open. I almost missed it - I too lament the loss of photos.

That is why I DO NOT care for THREAD DRIFT! It takes exactly TWO clicks to start a new topic within the same forum and 3 clicks in a different one. That way the topic is displayed on the forum listing and not buried under an unrelated topic name, and you are not screwing up someone else's post. Unfortunately, anarchy rules.

So, didja hear they're gonna re-engine B-52's AGAIN? Trying to see if they can have 100-year-old dinosaurs flying.

E7

Postby E7 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:43 pm

ScaleCraft wrote:
E7 wrote:

So, didja hear they're gonna re-engine B-52's AGAIN? Trying to see if they can have 100-year-old dinosaurs flying.

Thanks Dave! Knew we could count on you! :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :lol:

J. S. Bach

Postby J. S. Bach » Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:44 pm

ScaleCraft wrote:
E7 wrote:So, didja hear they're gonna re-engine B-52's AGAIN? Trying to see if they can have 100-year-old dinosaurs flying.

Probably cheaper than designing/building something new. Shades of Dale Brown.

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:47 pm

At least I didn't post a HUGE photo without linking to another account....

Ever hear of Ardun heads for Flathead Fords and where they came from?

Hemispherical pushrod overhead valve conversions....after WWII.....to get more power for over the road rucking...then overhead valve engines came out and the manufacturer was stuck with all these castings...until the hot rodders found them.

Guy made his money, went to work for General Misunderstanding....ended up developing the Corvette.

Often referred to as the "Father of the Corvette"....Zora Arkus-Duntov, where the Ar-Dun came from.

See? NO pictures and I can drift a thread with the best of them.
Sometimes.

Want a real blast? Look up a photo of an Ardun-converted Flathead, then compare to an early Chrysler Hemi, like a FireDome and tell me where Walter P. got the idea.

That, miladdio, was a sideways drift.

Maybe a four-wheel-drift, but I digress.

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:48 pm

J. S. Bach wrote:
ScaleCraft wrote:
E7 wrote:So, didja hear they're gonna re-engine B-52's AGAIN? Trying to see if they can have 100-year-old dinosaurs flying.

Probably cheaper than designing/building something new. Shades of Dale Brown.

I have read where guys flying Buffs in Iraq were flying the same S/N aircraft their fathers flew in 'nam.

SERIOUS thread drift alert.

robert.

Postby robert. » Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:31 pm

A guy named Andy Koslow made overhead valve conversions for flat head harleys. During the mid. 30's. He also cast a sprocket side motor case for part of the conversion. His heads made so much power poor little Harley cases were cracking. If you can find his stuff today. You hit pay dirt.
Here is a link https://www.hwcclassics.com/1936-koslow-racing-engine/
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”