GSL Steam Roster

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
De Bruin

Re: GSL Steam Roster

Postby De Bruin » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:30 pm

"True that", Rex, a lot of proven designs were recycled by the WPB during the duration (at least that's what my latest Classic Trains tells me)
I'm still sticking with the C&NW H class as the original inspiration for this beast, solely, and again, based on the domes, boiler seam lines etc specific to the boiler top. I also think Bob may be correct regarding this particular build trying for the N series MP Northern based on that "saddle bag" hanging off the forward dome and the cab/window configuration, as distinctly different from the "H" class.

Finally though this guy is (opinion) about two blocks away from close fidelity to either prototype, ultimately the club will likely vote on what to do with it.
I myself would like to see it rebuilt and lean towards the MP N (because, you know... MP) but think it would be easier to finish as a C&NW "H" class (banjo engine truck notwithstanding) Then again the club may vote for something more southeastern like ACL or CofG but outside of a shorter tender I'm not up for that much surgery unless one of them wants do the needy there.
Litigation Crisis Consultant- remediating legal-media issues; mitigating federal, state and local investigations, court orders etc. Your serial felony history, contractual defaults, bankruptcies no big deal.
contact morbo@getoffthehook.com

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:18 am

ACL is a candidate. Might have to put saddlebags on a diet.

Maroon is correct. Farrell/ Pearsall's book, p. 192 shows it as an N-63, but Collias calls all of the 2200 class N-73. Probably driver size?

R.K. Maroon

Postby R.K. Maroon » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:02 am

Tell the club that the Mopac served Memphis and New Orleans, and if those are part of the South then grits ain't groceries.

Here is the ATA (A. Thomas Alsgard) C&NW H-class:

Here is the underside:

I don't see enough similarities in construction to make me think that Pete's model started life as one of these. Alf Modine had the best one of these I have ever seen. I used to pine for it but if you pine for every model out there you will pine your life away.

JIm
Slow progress is better than no progress

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:13 pm

Alf was a truly nice guy, and an excellent scratchbuilder. Broke my heart when his CNW ten wheeler lost in a contest to truly inferior models. Then it really broke my heart when one of his models got stolen at OSW.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:13 pm

Oh - and thanks for the photos - is this in your collection?

R.K. Maroon

Postby R.K. Maroon » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:36 pm

No -- This ATA H-class was on eBay some years ago. I did not bid but did snag the photos. Here are a few more:

Note outside third-rail pickups on the tender. This model sold for $700. Seemed high in 2014 and still seems high.

Jim
Slow progress is better than no progress

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:20 pm

Can you elucidate on the splined driveshaft coming out of the front of the tender?
Almost like tender isn't for that engine, since there is a motor in the loco.....
Dave....collector, restorer, and operator of the finest doorstops

sarge

Postby sarge » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:36 pm

ScaleCraft wrote:Can you elucidate on the splined driveshaft coming out of the front of the tender?
Almost like tender isn't for that engine, since there is a motor in the loco.....

It drops into the fork behind the motor to serve as both the drawbar and a representation of the stoker tube.
No-one ever forgets where they buried the hatchet.

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:08 pm

Stoker tube I can understand. Of course, most of the stuff out in these parts went to oil early on. Sure looks splined on the inside.
Dave....collector, restorer, and operator of the finest doorstops

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:15 pm

Seven Hundred Bucks? You dodged a bullet.

E7

Postby E7 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:48 pm

bob turner wrote:Seven Hundred Bucks? You dodged a bullet.

More like an artillery shell.

De Bruin

Postby De Bruin » Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:46 am

Speaking of artillery shells-
Behold- the next example from the donated lot, a Decapod or 2-10-2 missing it's pony and I assume engine wheel sets. ImageThis one is obviously more than a tad on the rough side and will require even more work to bring back to life than the Northern, kind of an unusual class for a doorstop though(opinion) and plenty of prototypes to build to if you're inclined to do so.
It appears to have that Hines style double hatched forward steam dome, and the covered wagon USRA style boiler
For Jim, Bob and SC Dave, and any other heavy metal fans here I'll throw in a second underside shot, another standard "big gear " arrangement?
Unlike the previous H class like facsimile- no Adams & Son or other builder mark embossed/cast/stamped etc on the under-body of either the engine chassis or tender frame. (Like the tender as well, albeit note the snapped off switch base on the "bunker" deck.
Looking for manufacturers provenance here as with all of these.(four more to follow then we'll look at the diesels :shock: )
Litigation Crisis Consultant- remediating legal-media issues; mitigating federal, state and local investigations, court orders etc. Your serial felony history, contractual defaults, bankruptcies no big deal.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:35 am

No "manufacturer". A poorly done scratchbuild. If they are insulated and you don't mind blind drivers, salvage them and the sand dome - maybe the cylinder block and some rods. Do not invest time - maybe eBay with proceeds to the club?

De Bruin

Postby De Bruin » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:55 pm

Fast forward from two years ago, I finally got some time to work/refurbish this CLW Northern.
This long-legged beast did not like my Old Pullman switches on Trackworld, either reliably picking the facing points or popping up on the frogs coming out of curves which I attributed to the pony truck’s bent front axle along with neither of its wheels showing a good even/straight flange. After some vise and press work I can get it around my inside main now without mishap now.
I think it’s “calmed down” enough to return to service at the club where hopefully it will commune better with the hand laid code 172 there instead of Trackworld’s cheap-o flex code 148. Cleaned, lubed, new paint and decals, and a new harness and plug for the tender. The tender trucks were particularly problematic, suffering from the progressive slop-wobble between the truck bolster and the side frame arms, dropping wheels out during handling enough to drive one to drink, though these days no excuse needed. whew
This model on it's own is interesting, note advertised without a prototype reference (unlike the clearly ID'd H-10 PRR Consol ad on the adjoining page) yet lettered in the photo (from the most marvelous 1966 All Nation catalog) for a UP 800 series FEF.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:48 am

Takes a lot to become an FEF. New cab, new firebox, new cylinder block and yoke, different lead and trailing trucks, and you still have too wide spacing of drive wheels. Still, with all that it can be credible. I'd post a photo, but . ..

Very nice restoration. Looks like it might even be Scale Craft?

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”