Wood tenders, etc

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
Rufus T. Firefly

Wood tenders, etc

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:14 am

Something that caught my eye and made me think of Mr. Turner...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/M-Smart-O-Scale ... Sw42dZJjiF

Seller has several different ones listed along with few boilers, etc.....
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

R.K. Maroon

Re: Wood tenders, etc

Postby R.K. Maroon » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:19 pm

I saw these too. I recall there was also a boiler or two. I have never heard of M-Smart, but I will keep an eye out henceforth.
Slow progress is better than no progress

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:22 pm

R.K. Maroon wrote:I saw these too. I recall there was also a boiler or two. I have never heard of M-Smart, but I will keep an eye out henceforth.

More than 2 listed now - never heard of M-Smart either!
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

rrjjf

Postby rrjjf » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:47 pm

Tough to solder to!

Joe
Joe Foehrkolb

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:48 pm

rrjjf wrote:Tough to solder to!

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:37 pm

Several of my tenders are wood blocks. Two have brass overlays - if my Cab Forward thread still exists, my #4104 has a wood block tender, as does one of my Lobaugh Challengers. Not a great idea, now that we are thinking about sound and battery power.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:52 pm

bob turner wrote:Several of my tenders are wood blocks.

That's what I remembered; thought you'd have a few thoughts on these given your experience on the subject.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:42 pm

Another computer lesson for me - tried to edit a copy of the AC-4 tender. Computer sent it to "not trains" instead of the file with the original. Had to do a search. Wood block, with overlays. My father cast those sideframes from my patterns. No, the SP never ran Buckeyes under a 160C.

tender AC-4.jpg
tender AC-4.jpg (165.77 KiB) Viewed 4281 times

My first wood block was not so elegant:

All Nation Doorstops 002.jpg
All Nation Doorstops 002.jpg (750.19 KiB) Viewed 4281 times

And this one was a quickie - did not want to do compound curves in brass.

Mantua 36.jpg
Mantua 36.jpg (1.05 MiB) Viewed 4281 times

Jay Criswell

Postby Jay Criswell » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:15 am

I've know some scratch builders that soldered their boilers and tender shells over wood forms. Could these not be forms for doing just that? After soldering they remove the wood form. As a matter of fact I have a couple from Will (SI) Simonton.

Jay

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:21 am

Jay Criswell wrote:I've know some scratch builders that soldered their boilers and tender shells over wood forms. Could these not be forms for doing just that? After soldering they remove the wood form. As a matter of fact I have a couple from Will (SI) Simonton.

Hmmmmmm............. I might be able to use them for a master to cast a tender body in resin a la Prof. Reutling, :wink:

Carey Williams

Postby Carey Williams » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:34 am

Hello wood block admirers.

I did a quick check in Model Railroading 1943-44 ..flipping through the ads sections assuming wood blocks would be all the range during the metal starved WW2 period ..various ads for the wood car kits ..but no mention of engines ... or any sign of M Smart ...

C D Models of Cleveland were big into wood models ...planes and created with the birth of "S" gauge ..3/16" scale 7/8" gauge ... beginning in 1936? Ads for wood trains covered with paper graphics appeared ..including a full Hiawatha train .

A C Gilbert jumped on the 3/16" train adapting his O scale line to it pre-war .... and stealing the "S" gauge market post war ....

CD models but a foot note ..
Cheers Carey
Cleveland model ad 1947.JPG
Cleveland model ad 1947.JPG (56.1 KiB) Viewed 4243 times

Jay Criswell

Postby Jay Criswell » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:40 pm

Sure, Varney and Strombecker did it in HO but used overlays. The Varney version was foil cover and the Strombecker was pre-printed.

If you guys would do a little more research you'd find numerous articles describing the use of these types of wood blocks when building fabricated boilers and tenders. Thornburg (sic) did it frequently. It was common practice. I'm not saying that's exactly what these are but, to me, it makes the most sense....of course since I don't have any common sense all my statements are moot! :D

Jay

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:48 pm

Jay is spot-on. A wood block as a bending jig and soldering fixture is almost essential. In the above cases and one other, I have simply left the block "in." The Challenger tender is only recognizable from the bottom - the rest looks like a standard brass shell.

Oh, and the NP Challenger needed no rivets, so the wood block stands by itself. Photo soon.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:07 pm

Jay Criswell wrote:Sure, Varney and Strombecker did it in HO but used overlays. The Varney version was foil cover and the Strombecker was pre-printed.

If you guys would do a little more research you'd find numerous articles describing the use of these types of wood blocks when building fabricated boilers and tenders. Thornburg (sic) did it frequently. It was common practice. I'm not saying that's exactly what these are but, to me, it makes the most sense....of course since I don't have any common sense all my statements are moot! :D

Oh, I think you're spot on for purpose.

I am familiar with the use of wood blocks and forms for building things; just have not seen ones as nice and clean as most of these are....and thjat's just a wee bit before my time, too.

Jay Criswell

Postby Jay Criswell » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:23 pm

Is it possible they were never used for their intended purpose? Yeah, I know, speculation, at best. :)

Jay

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”