This might not be a bad deal if you like old tinplate, ...

Discussions About Items on eBay and Online Auctions
J. S. Bach

This might not be a bad deal if you like old tinplate, ...

Postby J. S. Bach » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:04 pm

...there are at least 300 items; that works out to around $166 per piece, not counting the miscellaneous items mentioned.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Large-Pre-War- ... 2583789966
Last edited by J. S. Bach on Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rufus T. Firefly

Re: This might not be a bad deal if you like old tinplate, ...

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:03 pm

Will arrange for local pickup only (no shipping).

Could be a bit awkward.........
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:25 pm

"Please note there are no Post War cars or accessories available despite what is shown in these photos."

Okay...then why show the 0 stuff on the floor that IS postwar? What kind of a disclaimer is that?

I counted 100 or so pieces on the shelves....not accessories...and the separate photos.

"The trains are listed for $55,000. "

I sure didn't see in the photos what his inventory claims. The "despite what is shown in these photos." is a bit concerning, but, hey, on this coast not sure how many folks want to drop 40K or 55K and drive to Colorado with a trailer to pick them up.

The two photos bracketing the signals are the same set of shelves from different angles.

Turner.
Dave....collector, restorer, and operator of the finest doorstops

J. S. Bach

Postby J. S. Bach » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:37 am

I agree with SC that there are some ambiguities in the listing;but it does make for some interesting reading. I will follow it to see what happens but I do not know the pre-war market so it will be interesting (to me anyway) as to the final result. As far as selling it piece-by-piece, other than the hassle, the seller might actually realize a better final total price. Hey, the deal is getting better; the price has been lowered to $40.000. :? The text from the auction:

"This large Pre War Lionel Train Standard and O Gauge Tin Plate Collection is in good to excellent condition. It is for sale as a collection. We are not looking to sell it by piece. The photos shown are a sampling of the whole collection. More photos can be provided at request.

The price have been set based upon the size, condition and models, the trains in the collection as well as current market price. The collection includes over 300 cars and engines as well as numerous accessories.

Please note there are no Post War cars or accessories available despite what is shown in these photos.

The trains are listed for $55,000.

Please see the photos in this ad. A full inventory list is shown in the photos.

Arrangements for shipping or pick up can be discussed with the buyer.

All sales are final.

12 - steam engines – 384-400

70 – 500 series freight cars

70 – 200 series freight cars

90 - electric engines and cars

60- O Gauge engines and cars

Many accessories such as hells gate bridge, signal bridges, depot stations, many original empty boxes and more!
"

Note that I based my original "price-per-item" (which has been corrected to $166) on the above itemized listing. Now it is $133.
Such a bargain! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen:

Chris Webster

Postby Chris Webster » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:30 pm

ScaleCraft wrote:"The trains are listed for $55,000. "
Price has dropped to $40,000.

Return to “eBay & Other Online Auctions”