Using a jewel for a light

All City Subway Models & Elevated Lines
Jim K

Using a jewel for a light

Postby Jim K » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:51 pm

Howdy,

I am working on a model of traction MOW car. From the few photos I have I can see where there was not a permanently
mounted headlight. It was on a bracket on railings at the end of the car. I really do not want to fuss with a powered light here.
But when I look around to find an old style jewel I can not come up with a source. Walther's showed some MV Products in an old
catalog but I can not find them anywhere on-line. Any help would be appreciated. Looks like a 5mm diameter or a little smaller
could work. Thanks for your time.

Jim K

robert.

Re: Using a jewel for a light

Postby robert. » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:48 pm

A.c Moore. craft store. Try buying jeweled earrings from a dollar store.
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

Jim K

Postby Jim K » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:25 pm

A craft store! Duh, where was my “on” switch? Thanks. To Michael’s or Hobby Lobby I will go. Great.

Jim K

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:50 am

Jim K wrote: I am working on a model of traction MOW car. From the few photos I have I can see where there was not a permanently
mounted headlight. It was on a bracket on railings at the end of the car.

I have used the Q-car castings for those lights; usually comes with 2 brackets so with the prototype the light could be moved to the direction the car was headed.

I really do not want to fuss with a powered light here.

They are truly annoying to for that sort of thing; maybe now a seriously small LED would work.

But when I look around to find an old style jewel I can not come up with a source. Walther's showed some MV Products in an old
catalog but I can not find them anywhere on-line. Any help would be appreciated. Looks like a 5mm diameter or a little smaller
could work. Thanks for your time.

I think that PSC has some up to ~3mm. I just cut and sanded to size a bit of polycarbonate to fit into the casting - the Q-car ones have a recessed bit for a lense - after painting the interior of the lamp Platinum Mist.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

E7

Postby E7 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:51 pm

Jim K

Postby Jim K » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:54 pm

Thanks for the tips. I went to Jo-Anne Fabrics and found a suitable unit. They have jewels in packs sorted by diameter. This was great as I had determined that a 5mm diameter unit would do the job. Looks like it will work fine.

Now another question. I am nearing the point of this kit-bash where I need a power source for the unit. I have bothered my few contacts in the trolley modeling community that can accept me as a 3 railer. Not everyone can. :( Anyhow I need a set of powered trucks and a trailing truck. Does anyone here know where I could find such beasts? In building that motor freight in the past right when I needed it a set of 3 rail equipment became available. I have been looking on e-bay for a Bowser unit that could be cannibalized. It sort goes against the grain to do something like that though.

Thanks for your time

Train & Traction ON,

Jim K

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:57 am

Jim K wrote: Anyhow I need a set of powered trucks and a trailing truck. Does anyone here know where I could find such beasts? In building that motor freight in the past right when I needed it a set of 3 rail equipment became available. I have been looking on e-bay for a Bowser unit that could be cannibalized. It sort goes against the grain to do something like that though.

3 rail under the floor or through the floor trolley drives are limited in choices; cannibalization might be your best bet. Or you might be able to use a non-insulated 2 rail Wagner drive, add a center rail pickup to the trailing truck, and a bridge rectifier to power the drive?? No idea how that might run on your track.....
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

J. S. Bach

Postby J. S. Bach » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:25 pm

Look for a Bachmann Peter Witt, the drive is a good one but the wheels might be too small for a box motor.

Return to “Subway, Elevated, Trolley & Traction Lines”