From the Firefly Shops.........

All City Subway Models & Elevated Lines
Rufus T. Firefly

Re: From the Firefly Shops.........

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:05 pm

webenda wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:I was unaware that Bib had any resin castings at all!!!

Opps! "PITTMAN O GAUGE DIE CAST TROLLEY WORK CAR SIDES" I got confused by talk about resin castings on OGR and mention of Bob Trimble castings in same thread.

I like what you build better than these ebay offerings.

Thanks!

That's some of the sides from Bob Trimble.....

Needs work; has potential for some good fun that I may indulge in....but will probably sell for way too much. I could just pull out my own castings and build the body easily enough. 3 rail drive is more useful to me than the body, :wink: :wink:

Totally ridiculous. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

webenda

Postby webenda » Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:44 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:Totally ridiculous. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Maybe the seller does not understand use of superscript to separate cents from dollars.
----Wayne----

Back when I was growing up, if you didn't start someth'n, there wouldn't be noth'n.
--Merle Haggard

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:48 am

webenda wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:Totally ridiculous. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Maybe the seller does not understand use of superscript to separate cents from dollars.

Yes, let's think that and walk on by quickly, :mrgreen:
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:52 am

Here's a gon with a load of gravel.......

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:09 am

Midwest kit.....

webenda

Postby webenda » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:57 pm

Interesting freight trailers. Interesting end treatments, flat, curved, half round. Thank you for starting this thread Rufus.

All the electric freight operations I am familiar with used ordinary railroad freight cars.
----Wayne----

Back when I was growing up, if you didn't start someth'n, there wouldn't be noth'n.
--Merle Haggard

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:22 pm

Thanks, Wayne! I freely admit to embracing the unusual and specialized as well as shop built cars, particularly of the MoW persuasion, :mrgreen:

So, here's the next in line:

Joseph Frank1

Postby Joseph Frank1 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:04 pm

Hello Rufus

Thanks also for this Trolley Model Traction content new thread you started here.

Your work cars are magnificent and scratch-built (or even if kit bashed) very detailed works of art. Again, you are a modeling craftsman and I wonder why you have not shown these models before. And if so, where, what forum here !? You likely have an excellent operating layout I suspect ! I am enjoying seeing your work as it inspires me to keep up with my own work. As you know, I am a trolley modeler also..basically NY City and Philly trolley cars...

Tho I model NYC Subway and "EL" Passenger cars (as I rode in most all of them over the past 6 decades) -- I also have a penchant for modeling what the "riding public" rarely sees much of. Tho I have - as being a transit historian photographer and having had access to layup and repair facility transit yards. So I have modeled many of the work cars (pre war era and post var) I have seen in NYC Subways and elevated lines. They do make very interesting and sometime challenging models to create...as they are scratch built in most cases.

I'll submit a few of my models in a NEW THREAD similar to the one here for your models. Looking forward to more of your models, and some layout scenes -- !!

regards - Joe F

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:20 pm

Thank you :!:

Quite a number of photos have been posted previouslyover on the 2-rail section of MTJ since very long ago that was the only section that seemed to respond or be populated with modelers; posting anything here was met with silence

I'm very happy to share my work here if only between the you and Wayne and whoever else might be lurking, :lol:

I will continue.........

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:22 pm

This was a little restoration/completion exercise that is set out on the mainline in the back corner area of my layout.....guessing it was one of the Midwest Train Hobby cars? I have a few others that are far down in the the queue for me to complete that I picked up at one of the East Penn meets 6(? :!: ) years ago....

Joseph Frank1

Postby Joseph Frank1 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:08 pm

Hello Rufus ---

Scale scratch-build and kit bash TRACTION, TRANSIT genre modelers of our caliber are a dying hobby breed in this current society -- I guess I am the last remaining Subway-EL guy of the few others that use to come here with some irregular "regularity" ... but most of them were NOT scratch builders / modelers of subway, El, trolley, traction cars like we are -- just 3 rail track operated MTH subway-sets buyer-operators - being "shake it from the box" ready to run types. There were two or 3 other guys who actually did excellent modeling work in our level -- but they haven't been here in over a year or so.

Most all of the "2-rail scale" N Scale, HO Scale, O-SCALE (and a few 3-rail O-GAUGE) , and 1/2" scale transit - traction - trolley modelers, who actually BUILD stuff, are at my own 310 member
" NYC Transit Modelers Group " -- many on board for 10 to 15 years now. We have about 50 or so member created photo albums there of collectively hundreds of photos of all their various layouts and car building and modeling projects. Some also are members of two other 2-rail scale (live overhead) trolley modeler Forum Groups -- as I am also.

Those places are where the "real" modelers of traction of your (and my) caliber, are very active.

Again, I love your traction modeling work - and wish others who do same would post here also.

regards - Joe F

Tom Dempsey

Postby Tom Dempsey » Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:17 pm

Maybe if you change the title to reflect more than subway's. I've lurked but wouldn't think of posting, even if I could get something finished to the point of posting.

Joseph Frank1

Postby Joseph Frank1 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:55 pm

Hello Tom

You could have a good point there --- but I didn't create this forum, nor create the "title" for this forum. I suggested an idea for one to MTJ Forums owner Bill over 10 or so years ago when it didn't exist then !

Perhaps be renamed to: " Subway, Elevated, Trolley & Traction Lines Models ".

But then, you have to have MODELERS who build things, ie: like Rufus, myself, etc., to be the prevalent posters to make it work and make it interesting to attract other modelers and generate posted responses !!.

Regards - Joe F

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:56 am

Perhaps be renamed to: " Subway, Elevated, Trolley & Traction Lines Models ".

Well, we can always ask.........and I will.

Yes, there was a flurry of subway RTR guys here once upon a time......and that all seemed fueled by whatever was being produced RTR; not much actual model RR'ing involved other than to open the wallet, and plunk the car down on the track.

NYC Transit Modelers Group

Yahoo group? Think I was a member for a while. Am a member of at least 2 other O scale trolley/traction Yahoo groups....post there when I have something specific, but I never got much of a reaction from any of my models at either so I sort of reduced my involvement to checking in once a week, if that. Pretty sure that there are folders at each with pictures off some of my models...

Maybe just forging on here is for the best - pretty free wheeling and open.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:28 am

I'll take no credit for this one other than to state it's in my collection of cars - it's also 17/64th's

Return to “Subway, Elevated, Trolley & Traction Lines”