Weekend Photos - September 2023

All Facets of O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading
healey36

Weekend Photos - September 2023

Postby healey36 » Fri Sep 01, 2023 6:28 am

Summer's winding down and the push to wrap up a number of house-maintenance projects is underway. Got a cord of firewood being delivered today, and there's still a fair bit of painting that needs to be finished outside. Normally I'd cut/split firewood myself, but I'm just not feeling it this year...wimping out, lol.

Finished off Carstens' suburban station this week:

A few modifications to HC's plans, primarily with regards to the platform roof's dimensions and covering, and the addition of the raised platform base. Look closely and you'll notice I butchered the flashing on the roof. Martin suggested using some copper foil for flashing, which I actually have a bit of for use on ship model hulls; I just couldn't lay my hands on it. Used some painted cardstock instead, and the dimensions are a bit off (not to mention the lapping).

So back to the 253 next.

HONDO74

Re: Weekend Photos - September 2023

Postby HONDO74 » Fri Sep 01, 2023 7:24 pm

That came out looking great. Now you need some benches with people on them.....

healey36

Postby healey36 » Fri Sep 01, 2023 11:31 pm

Are there any good sources for station benches? I’ll have to look around.

RBH29

Postby RBH29 » Sat Sep 02, 2023 4:39 am

Yes, that does look really nice. Have a great Labor Day weekend!

healey36

Postby healey36 » Sat Sep 02, 2023 8:32 am

Thanks, and you too. Gonna be a blast furnace here, with forecasted temps on Monday predicted to top 100. Might be able to cook hotdogs and hamburgers on the hood of the car, lol.

webenda

Postby webenda » Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:50 pm

healey36 wrote:Finished off Carstens' suburban station this week.

Sweet. You make paper buildings look so good, I want to try to do one.
----Wayne----

Back when I was growing up, if you didn't start someth'n, there wouldn't be noth'n.
--Merle Haggard

healey36

Postby healey36 » Sat Sep 02, 2023 2:46 pm

webenda wrote:
healey36 wrote:Finished off Carstens' suburban station this week.

Sweet. You make paper buildings look so good, I want to try to do one.

There are a lot of options out there; some are simple, some quite complicated. Give it a shot.

Dennis Holler

Postby Dennis Holler » Thu Sep 07, 2023 11:47 am

Doorstop Rookie

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Thu Sep 07, 2023 10:00 pm

Dennis

On the shelf in the upper part of the photo. What are those blue passenger cars, They look like prewar Lionel.?

healey36

Postby healey36 » Fri Sep 08, 2023 3:30 pm

Nice locos and trackwork, Dennis...looks like 1935 all over again.

Ran the 253's shell through the paint-booth today; now it's sitting out back baking in the sun:

I found a can of Scalecoat BNSF Green (#2079) up at Mainline last time up with Sarge. When we looked at the paint chip chart, it looked damn close to Lionel dark green, but I don't know. Sitting in the sun, it looks a bit light. We'll see. I need to flip it over and paint the inside, then it'll have to sit for a few days to cure.

Hopin' a curious squirrel doesn't come along and throw it off the table, or worse.

webenda

Postby webenda » Fri Sep 08, 2023 4:43 pm

healey36 wrote:Sitting in the sun, it looks a bit light.

That reminds me of the red pickup truck I used to have. It was very brown under sodium parking lights.
In other words, judge the color on your workbench, not in sunlight. :D
----Wayne----

Back when I was growing up, if you didn't start someth'n, there wouldn't be noth'n.
--Merle Haggard

Dennis Holler

Postby Dennis Holler » Fri Sep 08, 2023 4:53 pm

Prewar Blue Comet set.
Doorstop Rookie

healey36

Postby healey36 » Fri Sep 08, 2023 5:38 pm

webenda wrote:
healey36 wrote:Sitting in the sun, it looks a bit light.

That reminds me of the red pickup truck I used to have. It was very brown under sodium parking lights.
In other words, judge the color on your workbench, not in sunlight. :D

That's a good observation, Wayne. I took a roof off one of the passenger cars and gave the inside of the roof a good scrub, figuring that would provide a decent glimpse of the original paint. I shot some of Scalecoat onto a piece of white card and compared; it looked like a close match. Maybe once this cures fully and is in some normal light, the two will match a bit more. I did not use a primer...just shot it straight onto the bare metal as recommended by Scalecoat.

healey36

Postby healey36 » Sat Sep 16, 2023 7:15 am

The painting process for the 253's shell is complete (four coats and some time baking in the sun). It's not perfect having a bit of crazing in the paint, but it's adequate. The color is very close to the original, but has a slight blue caste to the green (apparently this is the color of C&NW green). Being more of a preservation project than an accurate restoration, it's close enough for my tastes.

I re-inventoried the parts and confirmed I have everything:

The lamps and the pantograph are reproductions from JLM, the whistle and the plates are original. I have the original pantograph, but it is so bent up I decided to replace it. I don't think I could get it bent back into shape straight enough to look decent, plus the originals don't have the bar running across the top, which looks better to me. I can always swap it out if I rework it later.

I was wondering about giving the plates a bit of a polish, but I'm concerned about the possibility of removing the black paint. I'll likely just wash them off, maybe lightly buff them, but otherwise leave them as is. Hopefully I can get them back in without breaking any tabs.

The real challenge, as I see it, will be fitting the new headlamps. These have tabs that go down through a pair of slots, which will then need to be bent over to hold them in place. The headlamp needs to fit over the handrail that should go down into a recess in the roof under the headlamp...if you don't get them down into the recess properly, they will cause the headlamp to pitch forward slightly when you mount them. Not a good look, so a bit of fiddling required. Then, of course, you need to do all of this without scratching the new paint. I figure if I'm going to break the solder joints, this is when I'll do it.

Headlamps first, then the plates, then the pantograph and whistle.

healey36

Postby healey36 » Fri Sep 22, 2023 6:52 am

Back together and ready for another ninety-five years:

Gave the frame a good clean/polish, leaving the few dings and scrapes as is. Sarge helped with the tabs on the plates using some surgical clamps/pliers. The strap headlamps never quite fit straight due to the handrails that run underneath, leaving them with that tilted-forward look. Replacement of the pick-up assembly still needs doing, but I'll save that until I get a bit more proficient at it.

Of course now the 610/610/612 coaches look rather shabby in comparison. Might just try to polish those up.

Let the purists gnash their teeth...

Return to “O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading”