Weekend Photos - June 2023

All Facets of O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading
healey36

Weekend Photos - June 2023

Postby healey36 » Fri Jun 23, 2023 3:24 pm

Not much going on around here, so I'll give an update on the four-square project. All of the basic components are complete:

I have a few more window inserts to design and add to the spreadsheet template, and a couple of panel doors for the front and side to fabricate. I might paint the foundation a "concrete" color, but not totally decided on that. After that, the remaining steps are:

(1) Attach the roof to the wall structure;
(2) Apply glitter to the house and roof;
(3) Install the windows and doors;
(4) Attach the house/roof structure to the base;
(5) Scenic and glitter the base.

Done...sounds simple, but a task that should take a couple days will likely require a month :lol:

A big pile of well-worn tinplate turned up on the front porch recently, including a pair of Flying Yankees. The Flying Yankee was a gap in the collection, one that I thought I'd filled with the acquisition of an MTH reproduction a couple Christmases ago. Now, within the last 90 days, three have turned up (along with a bunch of other stuff). It's funny how that works.

healey36

Re: Weekend Photos - June 2023

Postby healey36 » Fri Jun 23, 2023 3:41 pm

I've been looking for a one-off lighting solution for building interiors where I don't want to or can't run wire and fixtures. I tried a number of different things ranging from small incandescent bulbs to tea-lights, none of which were bright enough. Then I bought a couple of these LED "keychain" lights on Amazon (or eBay, can't remember which):

They are relatively small, so they'll fit nicely inside the structure (if you have access), they are rechargeable using a USB port, and have two brightness settings (also a strobe effect, handy for simulating a raver at the old homestead while the parents are away for the evening). There's also a spring clip, so they can be hung vertical, and best of all, they have a bottle-opener (probably the best feature).

Pretty inexpensive too, just a few bucks.

webenda

Postby webenda » Fri Jun 23, 2023 6:09 pm

Your work looks so good, Healey36, like architectural models!

The price range for one of those cob keychain lights is remarkable.

----Wayne----

Back when I was growing up, if you didn't start someth'n, there wouldn't be noth'n.
--Merle Haggard

J. S. Bach

Postby J. S. Bach » Fri Jun 23, 2023 6:26 pm

That is a significant difference!

healey36

Postby healey36 » Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:52 pm

Thanks, Wayne. I need to make a big push and finish this thing!

I went back and looked it up; eBay purchase, two for $7.96 with “free shipping”, from China.

webenda

Postby webenda » Fri Jun 23, 2023 10:35 pm

J. S. Bach wrote:That is a significant difference!

Advertised light output is significantly different also.
Gonengo advertises 1000 Hight Lumens (equal to a 75 watt incandescent bulb.)
Under Water advertises 6000 lumens (equal to 375 watt incandescent bulb.)
----Wayne----

Back when I was growing up, if you didn't start someth'n, there wouldn't be noth'n.
--Merle Haggard

RBH29

Postby RBH29 » Sat Jun 24, 2023 5:42 am

Healey, your project looks great. Looking forward to seeing how the glitter is applied and, of course, the finished product.

healey36

Postby healey36 » Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:22 am

Thanks, RBH; the glitter process starts this week, so I'll try to grab a few in-process pics along the way. I gotta run to the local craft store and pick up another tube of coarse glitter as I don't think I have enough on-hand to slather it up properly :lol:

The last 2-3 months has seen a bunch of stuff flow in here from various sources, much of it from a local on-line auction house that has recently been dispositioning a number of estates that included toy train collections. I am not necessarily interested in acquiring more stuff, but I've been keeping my eyes open for bits that either fill gaps or upgrade what I already have. Most of it has little real value other than it just interests me. A few low-ball "placeholder" type bids have yielded three or four boxes of prewar stuff, mostly projects. There's also been a couple of boxes of stuff dropped off by locals cleaning out their attics and basements. I'll post a few pics as excavate the contents.

One item in the pile that I was happy to lay my hands on was this Bing water tank from the 1920s:

As far as I know, these were originally made by Bing in Germany, but both Ives and American Flyer sold versions. This "crossover" of product between manufacturers is an area that has always interested me. When I first pulled it out of the pile, I mistakenly thought the spout was broken; turns out it is made so that the spout can be rotated to the right, unlike the Lionel prewar tank (no. 93) which moves up and down. Anyway, this example, given its near ten-decade age, seems in reasonably good shape. It'll find a place on the basement layout and, I anticipate, an occasional assignment to the annual Christmas display.

healey36

Postby healey36 » Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:19 pm

Okay, picked up another bottle of coarse glitter this morning, and after a few minor tweaks (added some additional interior bracing, a couple of additional tabs between the roof and the walls, and glued on the mailbox; almost forgot the mailbox), began applying the glitter. I know what you're thinking - Jesus, Mary, and Joseph, he's gone off and ruined it:

Top image is the basic supplies - coarse glitter and Mod-Podge. Simple process: cover the area you're going to apply the glitter to with a thin/medium coat of Mod-Podge, than sprinkle on a healthy dousing of glitter. Shake off the excess glitter and return to the bottle. You could use white glue, but I find the Mod Podge sets up slower and stays tacky longer. This gives you a chance to add glitter to any areas you might have missed. It also provides a decent seal, so there's little warpage. I use the satin formula, but there are others, including a matte finish and a gloss. The satin seems to enhance the reflectivity of the glitter somewhat.

Bottom image is what I've done so far. I'm working top and sides one-by-one, so just the roof and the front done. The roof here is 90% dry, the front wall/porch just 40% dry. I'll probably wait until tomorrow to do the two sides, and maybe the back late in the day or the next day. After that, I'll go over it lightly with a small dry brush to knock off any loose glitter.

Once thoroughly dry, I can start mounting the window glazing. I'm not real happy with the mounded snow effect...looks a bit like cake-icing to me.

gregj410

Postby gregj410 » Tue Jun 27, 2023 6:59 pm

I'm not real happy with the mounded snow effect...looks a bit like cake-icing to me.

Looks legit to me. Actually, I find it to be done quite well. I just want to know how you explain yourself in this day and age when you rub your eyes during the glitter process. :lol: Because I know it happens :lol:

healey36

Postby healey36 » Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:50 pm

Fringe culture aside, the biggest thing I have to worry about is spilling this crap on the dining room carpet...that’s a ticket to getting your @ss kicked by the wife.

robert.

Postby robert. » Tue Jun 27, 2023 9:03 pm

Silicon caulk for icicles and you’re good to go.
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

healey36

Postby healey36 » Tue Jun 27, 2023 9:44 pm

I seem to remember a video showing how someone used silicon caulk to make the skull-shaped tunnel portal in The Polar Express. Pretty neat, and the flexibility assured no damage to your loco when it zipped through.

gregj410

Postby gregj410 » Wed Jun 28, 2023 5:41 am

I recall seeing waterfalls done in the same fashion.

healey36

Postby healey36 » Wed Jun 28, 2023 7:35 am

Glitter's complete and the windows are in! I gotta wait a bit for the vellum to shrink up and draw tight, make sure there's no gaps or anything's come loose, then I can glue this thing to the partially complete base:

Definitely needs a leg-lamp in the front window :lol:

Now it's just a matter of finishing the base.

Return to “O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading”