Log bunk question

All Facets of O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading
webenda

Re: Log bunk question

Postby webenda » Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:45 pm

Infeed bunk at a sawmill.

I think your sawmill model is most excellent Greg.
----Wayne----

Back when I was growing up, if you didn't start someth'n, there wouldn't be noth'n.
--Merle Haggard

gregj410

Postby gregj410 » Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:50 pm

All good ideas. I guess the it’s a shot in the dark on what the maker had in mind. Rufus thought of this in terms of a bunk on a log buggy if I understand him correctly. Again, a good idea but when I purchased these I was thinking in of logs being stored up off the ground in some fashion. It’s likely I didn’t understand the builders intent.

gregj410

Postby gregj410 » Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:57 pm

webenda wrote:Infeed bunk at a sawmill.

I think your sawmill model is most excellent Greg.

Thank you! I made some mistakes but I’m happy with the results. I’m working on some placement details now. Getting the model constructed is only half of the project.

webenda

Postby webenda » Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:06 pm

gregj410 wrote:I was thinking in of logs being stored up off the ground in some fashion. It’s likely I didn’t understand the builders intent.

There is a sawmill near me. Their logs are just dumped on the ground by the logging trucks. They do not stay on the ground very long. The cut lumber is stacked off the ground with sticks separating each piece.
Something like this.
----Wayne----

Back when I was growing up, if you didn't start someth'n, there wouldn't be noth'n.
--Merle Haggard

gregj410

Postby gregj410 » Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:30 pm

webenda wrote:
gregj410 wrote:I was thinking in of logs being stored up off the ground in some fashion. It’s likely I didn’t understand the builders intent.

There is a sawmill near me. Their logs are just dumped on the ground by the logging trucks. They do not stay on the ground very long. The cut lumber is stacked off the ground with sticks separating each piece.
Something like this.

Yes! I’ve heard them referred to as dunnage strips or driers.I use them when I stock a wood floor for acclimation purposes. I believe wood can air dry naturally down to about 12%. From there it’s to a kiln to get it drier.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:56 am

gregj410 wrote:All good ideas. I guess the it’s a shot in the dark on what the maker had in mind. Rufus thought of this in terms of a bunk on a log buggy if I understand him correctly. Again, a good idea but when I purchased these I was thinking in of logs being stored up off the ground in some fashion. It’s likely I didn’t understand the builders intent.

There are times when the maker/vendor's intent ceases to matter and the parts become raw materials for whatever the modeler envisions.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

J. S. Bach

Postby J. S. Bach » Sun Apr 23, 2023 1:24 pm

Exactly.

Return to “O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading”