Weekend Photos - December 2022

All Facets of O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading
robert.

Re: Weekend Photos - December 2022

Postby robert. » Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:02 pm

healey36 wrote:The Christmas display at Kenilworth is gradually expanding to something approaching its earlier dimensions; here's the 2022 set-up:

Look at those faces...the kids are still into it.

The Reading Terminal Market does this kind of display. Every time we go to see it. All the trains are derailed or not running. None of the buttons work when you push them. They have a model ski scene where the ski lift is always laying on the ground. You can usually find one train that broke in half and the engine ran around into the caboose. Nothing says " Philly" better. The Reading terminal and none working trains. :lol:
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

healey36

Postby healey36 » Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:59 pm

If I get back down there, I'll try to shoot some video. I stopped by with my school teacher daughter, not knowing what the place might be like. I remember hauling her in there with her brother when he was four or five and she was one or two. The "mall" turned over to a new owner/management company a few years back, and their holiday plans didn't include the extensive display the club had been putting together every year. It was downsized to little more than a 5x10, and the mall's traffic at the holidays suffered for it. I think they, and the shop owners, quickly realized they'd made a mistake; apparently they've green-lighted the local club to start building out a bit. The day I was there, they had probably ten trains running with a couple of point-to-point traction lines as well. As best we could tell, only one line, a traction line, wasn't running. Everything runs on a separate loop or point-to-point line, no turnouts, so it's pretty bulletproof. The thing that amazes me is they run steam locos as well, which most displays avoid as they tend to have more reliability issues, especially when they are running for hours on end. There was a really sharp modern-era Lionel Turbine set running on one of the loops, which was nice to see.

Here's a shot I've posted before, taken quite a few years ago, a year or so before new management took over. The footprint was expansive. The children, big and small, loved it:

Hopefully this thing keeps going. If I make it over to any of the other local displays, I'll post a few snaps. Gonna try to make it up to Glen Rock this weekend.

healey36

Postby healey36 » Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:18 pm

Thanks for the comments re: our 2022 display. I've been wanting to get the clockworks running, together with all of the cardboard houses we've squirrelled away over the years.

A few weeks ago, Howard Lamey sent me four of his creations from his extensive collection. Those pretty much blow everything else away :lol: He's a true artist when it comes to these, seemingly boundless in ingenuity, planning, materials, and technique. My favorite of the four is this castle he built from a number of paper tubes of various sizes:

I gotta work out my lighting. Interior lights, with the exception of the tunnel bit, is done, but I need some street lights or something to light the exteriors. Hondo sent me a couple pairs of MTH prewar repro lamps, but they are big, some six to eight inches, so they dwarf the buildings. I have a couple pairs of smaller MTH diecast lamps, so I might try to dig those out. The problem with those is that they are set up for 18v maximums, so battery power is tough. I'm trying to avoid introducing a transformer. I have a couple sets of Dept. 56 lamps, but no idea where those are in the attic.

One piece of the 100-year-old Marklin track has a kink in one rail, so the locos are derailing pretty reliably on that section. I need to find a replacement piece or beat this one back into shape. The Hornby runs over it fairly well, but the Bing and the Marklin jump off every time. I need some trackworkers out there.

I'll post more pics as I have time.

RBH29

Postby RBH29 » Sat Dec 17, 2022 6:50 am

Healey,
Is the Kenilworth Christmas display in Towson, MD? If not there, where?

healey36

Postby healey36 » Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:45 am

Yup, just on the edge of Towson, Maryland. The place used to be called Kenilworth Bazaar, then The Shops at Kenilworth, which I think it still brands as. Here's their website:

https://www.theshopsatkenilworth.com/

healey36

Postby healey36 » Sat Dec 17, 2022 6:43 pm

The Dorfan-esque station awaits the 3:45 local at dusk on a cold December evening:

It sure gets dark early around here. At least the ticket office is still open. Just noticed that crazy cat behind the station :lol:

Need to find some platform lamps. I changed up and might try putting some low-wattage LED bulbs in the lamps Hondo sent me.

It's tinplate after all.
Last edited by healey36 on Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

robert.

Postby robert. » Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:17 pm

Try the dollar store for street lamps.
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

healey36

Postby healey36 » Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:29 pm

Good idea; I checked Michael's this afternoon and their Lemax stuff was wiped out. No shortage of "dollar" stores around here.

I put a three-volt LED in one of the MTH lamps Hondo sent me, hooked it up to a twin-AA pack and it lit nicely. That might be the answer until I find something a bit more size-appropriate. I'll take some pics later.

RBH29

Postby RBH29 » Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:33 am

Thanks for the Kenilworth website Healey. The combination of glitter and lighting of you Dorfan-esque station gives the impression that it's snowing. Very cool.

healey36

Postby healey36 » Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:29 am

If you're local, RBH, take the kids or grandkids if they're handy. It's a fun display. Might have to fight your way up to the glass, though :lol:

Heading up to Glen Rock, PA this afternoon with a one-year old. Haven't been up for years, so it'll be fun.

RBH29

Postby RBH29 » Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:36 am

I live in Massachusetts but will be in Maryland for Christmas. I think the train display may be something to catch on the road trip as long as we're in the area. Good point about the crowds though. Have a Merry Christmas!
Richard

healey36

Postby healey36 » Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:14 am

Merry Christmas to you and all here, Richard. Hope everyone has a good one!

Here are a few shots from Glen Rock VFD display yesterday:

Leaving, we were lucky to catch the Northern Central's Santa Train on its return run rolling through town:

The one-year-old was impressed...sensory-overload for sure :lol:

Healey

healey36

Postby healey36 » Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:17 am

Three houses from Howard Lamey's collection which he sent me when he got wind we were working on this display for 2022:

Each of these he hand-crafted in the tradition of the dime-store cardboard houses from 75 years ago, a slightly different finish on each. I'm trying to learn a few things from them. They look great illuminated.

healey36

Postby healey36 » Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:51 am

Jim K

Postby Jim K » Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:26 pm

healey36 wrote:Three houses from Howard Lamey's collection which he sent me when he got wind we were working on this display for 2022:

Each of these he hand-crafted in the tradition of the dime-store cardboard houses from 75 years ago, a slightly different finish on each. I'm trying to learn a few things from them. They look great illuminated.

Those houses look great!

Jim K

Return to “O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading”