Who makes O Scale Windows for buildings?

All Facets of O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading
G3750

Who makes O Scale Windows for buildings?

Postby G3750 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:21 pm

All:

I know about Grandt Line and Tichy. Who else makes O scale windows for buildings?

Thanks,

George
What is a 'Conservative'? "Someone who wants society and policy to recognize objective reality- economic, biological, and historical."

—Katy Faust

Rufus T. Firefly

Re: Who makes O Scale Windows for buildings?

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:57 pm

Masonry or wood frame, and just what are actually looking for, :wink: :wink:
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:58 pm

Rail Scale Models
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:58 pm

https://www.rail-scale-models.com/produ ... -and-Doors

RCBOARD is a plastic impregnated cardstock and is both durable and easy to paint. RCBoard works well with thin mullions but otherwise is very simular to our cardstock material. Excessive wetness can warp this board.
Dave....collector, restorer, and operator of the finest doorstops

G3750

Postby G3750 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:50 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:Masonry or wood frame, and just what are actually looking for, :wink: :wink:

Yes. :lol:

I am looking for a wide variety of windows for a number of buildings. Most of them are for masonry buildings, but the sizes are all over the map. I would like to build as few windows as possible.

George
What is a 'Conservative'? "Someone who wants society and policy to recognize objective reality- economic, biological, and historical."

—Katy Faust

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:41 am

G3750 wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:Masonry or wood frame, and just what are actually looking for, :wink: :wink:

I am looking for a wide variety of windows for a number of buildings. Most of them are for masonry buildings, but the sizes are all over the map. I would like to build as few windows as possible.

George

Ok, so you have 3 on your list now, but I think that some of the larger kit makers make and market windows and doors.

Worth checking with Bar Mills and Banta, for example.

I hate making windows as well, but when you need something that's not available, you grab a suitable part and convert it to what you need. That's particularly easier when it's a styrene starting material.

up148

Postby up148 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:07 am

ScaleCraft wrote:https://www.rail-scale-models.com/products/O-Windows-and-Doors

RCBOARD is a plastic impregnated cardstock and is both durable and easy to paint. RCBoard works well with thin mullions but otherwise is very simular to our cardstock material. Excessive wetness can warp this board.

Those are nice and previously unknown to me. Definitely worth checking out. Thanks for posting Dave!

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:36 am

up148 wrote:
ScaleCraft wrote:https://www.rail-scale-models.com/products/O-Windows-and-Doors

Those are nice and previously unknown to me. Definitely worth checking out. Thanks for posting Dave!

Much of Rail Scale's stuff originated from Rusty Stumps who sold it off a few years ago. They sell a lot of very useful building supplies and quite a few nice kits. I think there might even have been one such kit reviewed in the most recent issue of OST!

G3750

Postby G3750 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:44 am

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
G3750 wrote:

George

Ok, so you have 3 on your list now, but I think that some of the larger kit makers make and market windows and doors.

I hate making windows as well, but when you need something that's not available, you grab a suitable part and convert it to what you need. That's particularly easier when it's a styrene starting material.

Rufus, thank you for the Rail-Scale-Models tip. And I will check out Bar Mills and Banta as well.

The other viable alternative is 3D printing the windows needed. I'm very interested in that option should my conventional search fail. Both the Steubenville PRR station and Weirton Junction tower have unique windows which I fear will be difficult to find and / or replicate by hand.

I will keep the MTJ community apprised of what I find.

George

—Katy Faust

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:03 am

G3750 wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
G3750 wrote:

George

Rufus, thank you for the Rail-Scale-Models tip. And I will check out Bar Mills and Banta as well.

Those were just possibilities; you should hunt around a bit.

The other viable alternative is 3D printing the windows needed. I'm very interested in that option should my conventional search fail. Both the Steubenville PRR station and Weirton Junction tower have unique windows which I fear will be difficult to find and / or replicate by hand.

3D printing the windows may work out or not. Getting the muntins right w/o being oversized might prove challenging. Would be helpful it you could show a few pics of what windows are needed. How critical is it that they also be glazed with proper 3D interior geometry of the window?

chuck

Postby chuck » Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:35 pm

3D printed stuff may be difficult to paint. Depending on the type of plastic used you may find the paint beading up and/or running off.

Some of the newer vinyl cutters ave been upgraded to handle heavier materials, chip board or thin basswood/styrene. Cricut Maker and Cameo Silhouette. THere may even be patterns in their user group libraries.
Once I built a railroad, I made it run,
Made it race against time.
Once I built a railroad, now it's done --
Brother, can you spare a dime?

gregj410

Postby gregj410 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:25 pm

I know about Grandt Line

Grandt line was bought out sometime ago by San Juan. Not sure how much their inventory has changed.

https://sanjuandetails.com/architectura ... e/windows/

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:49 am

gregj410 wrote:
I know about Grandt Line

Grandt line was bought out sometime ago by San Juan. Not sure how much their inventory has changed.

https://sanjuandetails.com/architectura ... e/windows/

I just had an order from San Juan/Grandt Line arrive last week. All seemed to be good.

Return to “O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading”