Kit question

All Facets of O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading
gregj410

Kit question

Postby gregj410 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:42 pm

Any one here no if this company is still around? Or what the age of this kit may be?

Rufus T. Firefly

Re: Kit question

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:34 pm

Never seen that one before nor have I heard of that company.

Looks like something fun to build!
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

chuck

Postby chuck » Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:06 pm

Google has some hits about the companies kits. They appear to be mostly HO but they did produce some 1/4" scale building kits. One was a "re-issue" in 1981.

I just checked some back issues of RMC and MR going back to the 1960's through the 1980's. They were not big enough to be a direct advertiser and I don't have a big enough sample to say they weren't advertised within an old mail order's listings. I don't have the magazine indexes so I can't search that way either (maybe a kit review or a product announcement). One "auction" site classifies these as "old school craftsman kits" with lots of small detail parts that just rattled around inside the box (no special bagging). This was their way of saying that the kits probably have missing parts. They went on to say that they had acquired this stuff mostly from "estate" sales. Caveat Emptor.
Once I built a railroad, I made it run,
Made it race against time.
Once I built a railroad, now it's done --
Brother, can you spare a dime?

gregj410

Postby gregj410 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:07 am

Thank you for that Chuck,

I did discover an HO kit listed below with 1981 re issue. So maybe 40+ years old. I find this kit to be quite nice with detailed instructions, several detailed elevations combined with everything bagged neatly.

What caught be by surprise, not being an experienced kit builder was the cutting of parts that you find pre cut in today’s kits. For instance, all the walls had to be cut to size and shape along with the window and door openings. So far so good. They have a PO Box in case I need replacement parts all I have to do is return the ones I mess up :lol:

combo duplicate remover

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:47 am

gregj410 wrote:What caught be by surprise, not being an experienced kit builder was the cutting of parts that you find pre cut in today’s kits. For instance, all the walls had to be cut to size and shape along with the window and door openings.

Once upon a time all kits were like that and just a step or 3 above scratchbuilding.

More fun and more versatile as you could relocate windows and doors a lot easier then vs. more modern laser cut kits where you're just following instructions to build the same structure that everyone else will have on their layout.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

chuck

Postby chuck » Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:51 am

Laser cutters are making these type of kits much easier to build, at least in some ways. They can now use sturdier materials like 3 and 5 ply plywood. I think they build up nicer than the CNC routed Masonite. Definitely easier to paint/decorate than Masonite :lol:
Once I built a railroad, I made it run,
Made it race against time.
Once I built a railroad, now it's done --
Brother, can you spare a dime?

gregj410

Postby gregj410 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:39 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
gregj410 wrote:What caught be by surprise, not being an experienced kit builder was the cutting of parts that you find pre cut in today’s kits. For instance, all the walls had to be cut to size and shape along with the window and door openings.

Once upon a time all kits were like that and just a step or 3 above scratchbuilding.

More fun and more versatile as you could relocate windows and doors a lot easier then vs. more modern laser cut kits where you're just following instructions to build the same structure that everyone else will have on their layout.

Picked these up some time ago. Really cool original buildings in HO plans. Should be easy enough to scale up to O. Hopefully with enough experience I’ll be able to get a lumber take off and figure out windows, doors, etc. Excited to eventually build some one of a kinds.

jlong

Postby jlong » Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:09 pm

Not sure how well the tools work with O scale but with HO craftsman structure kits, the NWSL True Sander and Chopper were the cat's meow. The True Sander in particular for squaring up walls.
John Long

One nation under Josh with ozone an magnetraction for all

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:43 pm

I use a Chopper all the time when I need many of the same length bits of stripwood up maybe 3" scale thick.

Sander - regular sandpaper stapled to a 2" x 4" block.

I've been looking for a copy of that Harrington book on wood structure for quite a while - always seems to be on the pricey side.

gregj410

Postby gregj410 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:54 pm

I've been looking for a copy of that Harrington book on wood structure for quite a while - always seems to be on the pricey side.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/154051179921

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:42 am

gregj410 wrote:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/154051179921

Exactly.....

Return to “O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading”