Weekend Photos - November 2020

All Facets of O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading
healey36

Re: Weekend Photos - November 2020

Postby healey36 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:07 pm

gregj410 wrote:I don’t want to be the guy that hijacked the weekend photo thread. Is there a model or modeling thread? I don’t see a specific forum for that.

No worries, as the weekend photo thread was pretty much dead anyway. Post whatever you want, hopefully some projects folks are working on or just some interesting shots of the layout.

Or start a new specific thread, lol.

gregj410

Postby gregj410 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:44 pm

What shall we name it then? MTJ’s hottest models :lol:

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:02 pm

gregj410 wrote:What shall we name it then? MTJ’s hottest models :lol:

IMO you should be more specific, MTJ's hottest models of railroad related objects.
Nah, that won't work. A way will be found to post the seven dwarfs and their women
or the fastest whip on the branch line. Oh well. Let's see what you got. I'm sure it
will be much more entertaining than Covid 19. Probably won't go as many pages.
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

healey36

Postby healey36 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:24 am

A 3-rail variation of Rufus’ “Covid-19 Projects on the Bench” might work, perhaps without the virus reference as this will hopefully carry beyond that.

gregj410

Postby gregj410 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:35 pm

Happy Thanksgiving boys and girls! Here’s some shots of my bridge water scene.

healey36

Postby healey36 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:51 pm

Back atcha...and wow, maybe the best “water” I’ve ever seen. Lovely scene, mate.

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:43 pm

Beautiful bridge. Well, nice milk cars also.
2 rail or 3 rail?
Last edited by rogruth on Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
roger

I support thread drift.

gregj410

Postby gregj410 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:05 pm

Thank you and Thank you. All 3 rail Roger. I’m to much of an electrical nit wit to even think about 2 rail.

v8vega

Postby v8vega » Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:50 am

Looks real, I have 14 Lionel billboard reefers.

healey36

Postby healey36 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:00 am

Started a new project, one I've been wanting to take a stab at for awhile. An acquaintance came up with the idea, and I'm going to shamelessly try to replicate his, but with a few changes. Should be fun. I'll post pictures in WEP as it progresses, either to completion or into the bin :lol:

Here's the first bit:

The portals were supposed to be angled a bit more, but I reduced the pitch somewhat. Perhaps a mistake, but we'll see how it works. Had to refresh my memory on cutting compound angles on the miter saw.

gregj410

Postby gregj410 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:31 am

What type of layout will that go on? I like the idea of having the 2 portals connected by the center pieces. Surely makes it easy to move around and work on and even place on the layout. Will that get like a wire and plaster cloth deal to form a mountain? Nice start!

healey36

Postby healey36 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:42 am

I have a few European clockwork trains that just sit in a box. Was thinking of a tabletop set-up, maybe for the holidays, or maybe just a small display for the local hysterical society. We’ll see how it goes. The original was papier-mâché molded over a form, similar to the prewar American Flyer tunnels, and the one my mate made used the crumpled newspaper-and-papier-mâché method over a wood and cardboard skeleton. I’m thinking of using foam for the skeleton to keep the weight down, and maybe hydro cal instead of papier-mâché. We’ll see - gotta get the infrastructure cobbled together first.

healey36

Postby healey36 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:18 am

Roughed in a lining for the tunnel bit using a USPS shipping box:

The first of what promises to be a long string of mistakes on this project surfaced with this effort. I had wanted to use cereal-box thickness cardboard, but couldn't find a piece 17" long. I reverted to a piece of relatively thin corrugated found in a USPS shipping box. This made forming the liner into an arch a bit of a challenge. I used an old shipping tube to try to get a nice arch form, but that had mixed results, as the shipping box proved quite a bit more rigid than a single-ply cereal box. It had a tendency to bend incrementally, rather than in a smooth, gradual arch. The less-than-brilliant results can be seen here.

The other thing was when I pitched the portals a few degrees, I didn't take into consideration that the top of each would be slanted those same few degrees. This made cementing in the cardboard liner at each end a challenge. If I'd thought about this ahead of time, I could have cut slots in the liner at each end, making the fit a bit easier, adding some flexibility. Instead, I glued in one end first, resulting in a slight downhill run for the liner. I had to brute-force it back into position at the other end using a healthy dose of Titebond and a few C-clamps. The combination of the force-fit and the poorly executed arching of the corrugated resulted in a slight hump at the center. This may prove a problem, so for now, I've left the liner unattached along the side rails in case I need to try to draw it down a bit.

The next step is to manufacture a couple of additional supports that go over and atop the liner. These will support the base of the structure that goes above. I'm thinking of using foam for this, but if they are not strong enough I'll have to cut them from some one-by. I have a template of the tunnel portals which should possibly help with this. Once I get that fitted, I'll glue the liner to the side rails, adding some more strength.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:03 am

healey36 wrote:I had wanted to use cereal-box thickness cardboard, but couldn't find a piece 17" long.

Next time give me a shout; I kept the cardstock backing bits off the packs of large instrument recording chart paper. I think they are at least 16".
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:41 am

Healey,
Is this going to be covered in some way?
If so, why worry about a few wrinkles ( that I can't see) ?
roger

I support thread drift.

Return to “O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading”