Weekend Photos - November 2020

All Facets of O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading
Rufus T. Firefly

Re: Weekend Photos - November 2020

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:18 am

robert. wrote:No transfers yet. I have old waterslides. My fat thumbs and waterslides don't play well together. I got a headache looking through Clover house's website. 5000+ with no search ability.

Search box right there on the web site...

Download the pdf catalog, open in reader, cntl F, search the pdf

I need them for a N6A caboose. They may not have them. I was thinking to paint everything first then assemble. Is this method a bad idea?

Doable if you are able to paint perfectly and leave glue surfaces unpainted. I count on my not being perfect, :wink: :wink:
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

gregj410

Postby gregj410 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:36 pm

This was the roofing material supplied with the kit

facebook link download

healey36

Postby healey36 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:02 am

What's the material? An embossed cardstock? I've painted enough real metal roofs in my time to know that one could stand a freshen, lol. It should look good on the model.

gregj410

Postby gregj410 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:48 am

healey36 wrote:What's the material? An embossed cardstock? I've painted enough real metal roofs in my time to know that one could stand a freshen, lol. It should look good on the model.

No, it’s real metal of some sort. Those shiny areas you see are the unpainted part of the metal. Remember it’s 40 years old. Think made in America.....not China :lol:

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:52 am

gregj410 wrote:
healey36 wrote:What's the material? An embossed cardstock? I've painted enough real metal roofs in my time to know that one could stand a freshen, lol. It should look good on the model.

No, it’s real metal of some sort. Those shiny areas you see are the unpainted part of the metal. Remember it’s 40 years old. Think made in America.....not China :lol:

Builders in Scale has been making metal roof of several styles right here for many years and still does.

Nice raised seam or corrugated; think that they even sell it in copper!
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

healey36

Postby healey36 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:55 am

If it's metal, what does one use to cut it? Knife? Razor-saw? Tin-snips would seem likely to crush the corrugated texture along the edge.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:00 am

healey36 wrote:If it's metal, what does one use to cut it? Knife? Razor-saw? Tin-snips would seem likely to crush the corrugated texture along the edge.

Really good scissors! The BiS stuff comes in strips of various widths and the corrugated ends and other styles run the width not the length.

I use a lot of this stuff in my structure builds!

gregj410

Postby gregj410 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:28 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
healey36 wrote:If it's metal, what does one use to cut it? Knife? Razor-saw? Tin-snips would seem likely to crush the corrugated texture along the edge.

Really good scissors! The BiS stuff comes in strips of various widths and the corrugated ends and other styles run the width not the length.

I use a lot of this stuff in my structure builds!

Glad that came up here on the cutting. I hadn’t given that much thought. Long ways no problem but across the corrugation could be a challenge. The directions call for each of those to be divide up 6 ways.

Really nice model BTW. Is that completely scratch built or a kit? Roof looks great!

healey36

Postby healey36 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:35 pm

Yeah, I would think cutting across the corrugation might be problematic. A good pair of scissors...wouldn't have thought to try that. Good grief, I'm actually learning something once again on MTJ!

Rufus, what's the concoction you use for speedily oxidizing copper to give it that nice green patina?

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:02 pm

gregj410 wrote:Really nice model BTW. Is that completely scratch built or a kit? Roof looks great!

Thanks. All are scratchbuilt.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:04 pm

healey36 wrote:Yeah, I would think cutting across the corrugation might be problematic. A good pair of scissors...wouldn't have thought to try that. Good grief, I'm actually learning something once again on MTJ!

It's been known to happen, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Good surgical or dissecting scissors, :wink: :wink:

Rufus, what's the concoction you use for speedily oxidizing copper to give it that nice green patina?

Mainly moderately stiff acetic acid and some ammonium chloride and I thought maybe some copper chloride......the good old days, such as they were...

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:39 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
Mainly moderately stiff acetic acid and some ammonium chloride and I thought maybe some copper chloride......the good old days, such as they were...

So are those chemicals not available today ??

gregj410

Postby gregj410 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:58 pm

I don’t want to be the guy that hijacked the weekend photo thread. Is there a model or modeling thread? I don’t see a specific forum for that.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:12 pm

gregj410 wrote:I don’t want to be the guy that hijacked the weekend photo thread. Is there a model or modeling thread? I don’t see a specific forum for that.

I've tried to start those over in the 2 rail forum but those guys only want to discuss crap on eBay.

Not a lot of interest in discussing actual model building.

Start one here in 3 rail and let's do it up!

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:13 pm

HONDO74 wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:

So are those chemicals not available today ??

No, just not quite so available to me any more - used to be able to walk across the hall into my own labs......

Return to “O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading”