Weekend Photos - November 2020

All Facets of O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading
robert.

Re: Weekend Photos - November 2020

Postby robert. » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:03 pm

If you're looking for roof ideas. I used a 1600 grit sandpaper cut in strips. Then paint flat black. Only drawback is. Your cost of sandpaper is higher than the cost of the kit (price of sandpaper is crazy).
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

gregj410

Postby gregj410 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:27 pm

robert. wrote:If you're looking for roof ideas. I used a 1600 grit sandpaper cut in strips. Then paint flat black. Only drawback is. Your cost of sandpaper is higher than the cost of the kit (price of sandpaper is crazy).

Great idea! I may consider that as I am currently struggling to get the corrugated metal roof that was supplied with the kit to look right.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:32 pm

gregj410 wrote:
robert. wrote:If you're looking for roof ideas. I used a 1600 grit sandpaper cut in strips. Then paint flat black. Only drawback is. Your cost of sandpaper is higher than the cost of the kit (price of sandpaper is crazy).

Great idea! I may consider that as I am currently struggling to get the corrugated metal roof that was supplied with the kit to look right.

What was supplied - size?

I use a lot of Builders in Scale metal roof. Cut to 4' width and apply with Goo ( mix in some CA) and do 1 piece at a time from the bottom up wit patience.

Tarpaper - Builders in Scale

Anything else - Rail Scale Models
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

healey36

Postby healey36 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:16 pm

I’m getting ready to start a new project that calls for the use of anti-skid paint on terrain bits - I’ve wondered if that stuff has any use for roofing or simulating stucco. When I’m making stuff for tinplate, I’m going for a look, not so worried about a scale appearance.

Using sandpaper is along the same lines, old school. The Old Man used sandpaper for roofing and stucco walls. I have a half-complete station around here somewhere with exterior walls covered with some pretty course sandpaper. I’ll post a pic if I can lay my hands on it.

gregj410

Postby gregj410 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:34 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
gregj410 wrote:

What was supplied - size?

I use a lot of Builders in Scale metal roof. Cut to 4' width and apply with Goo ( mix in some CA) and do 1 piece at a time from the bottom up wit patience.

Tarpaper - Builders in Scale

Anything else - Rail Scale Models

Not totally sure of the size, I’ll check the next time I’m out there. Here is the pic that came with the kit if it gives you an idea. I was trying to get the base color first. Tried some rustoleum red primer but it was too red.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:44 pm

gregj410 wrote:Tried some rustoleum red primer but it was too red.

I do use that for freight cars now & again, :wink: :wink:

Polly Scale used to make an Earth Red and a Roof Red that were pretty good.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

gregj410

Postby gregj410 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:59 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:

Maybe it’s time to revert to the airbrush. I was so happy when I got my air brush, used it many times and now it’s like...ugh. I was hoping I could accomplish this with a rattle can. :lol:

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:01 pm

gregj410 wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:

Maybe it’s time to revert to the airbrush. I was so happy when I got my air brush, used it many times and now it’s like...ugh. I was hoping I could accomplish this with a rattle can. :lol:

I still hand paint better than 80% of my models....

robert.

Postby robert. » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:14 pm

I'm getting ready to build a cabin car. I keep kicking around spray or hand paint. I have a can of caboose red spray. I'm leaning towards hand painting it. Is it easier to do dry transfers before assembly?

gregj410

Postby gregj410 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:17 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
gregj410 wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:

I still hand paint better than 80% of my models....

I’ve never really given that much thought for whatever reason. Not a bad idea since it will likely need a level of streaking for a weathered look. Thank you!

robert.

Postby robert. » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:49 pm

Rattle cans are hit and miss for me. They don't spray to well now. something changed. 50/50 with nozzle drip. Blotchy spray pattern. I don't know if its poor nozzles or change in paint chemicals.

healey36

Postby healey36 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:22 am

... and they clog a lot faster/sooner. The change-up in propellant may be a factor as well.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:10 am

robert. wrote:Is it easier to do dry transfers before assembly?

I've never done that; I've always done that last on a nice clean non-gloss finish, and then sealed them using Matte clear. What brand of dry transfers?

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:11 am

robert. wrote:Rattle cans are hit and miss for me. They don't spray to well now. something changed. 50/50 with nozzle drip. Blotchy spray pattern. I don't know if its poor nozzles or change in paint chemicals.

I've used the Rustoleum primer colors for years now; like them and the performance vs. model paint costs is hard to beat in O scale.

robert.

Postby robert. » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:01 am

No transfers yet. I have old waterslides. My fat thumbs and waterslides don't play well together. I got a headache looking through Clover house's website. 5000+ with no search ability. I need them for a N6A caboose. They may not have them. I was thinking to paint everything first then assemble. Is this method a bad idea?

Return to “O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading”