Williams Electric Trains

All Facets of O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading
bluelinec4

Re: Williams Electric Trains

Postby bluelinec4 » Sat May 16, 2020 10:09 am

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
webenda wrote:
Roy wrote:Thank you, Wayne. I'm surprised that only one axle per truck is powered. It's hard to see, but it looks like there should be room for another worm and gear set, on the motor's other end.

The pickup roller takes up the space where a gear would go and the roller can't go between the axles because the motor is there.

Thanks. Drive has similarities to a Q-car drive for trolleys. Adapting these drives might be possible for other uses.

I was thinking the same thing Its nearly impossible to buy any parts from Bachmann If you look at their parts order system most engines only have 8 parts available One of them is the powered chassis that sells for more than the engine sells for and none are available Simple things like truck side frames arent available now for nearly two years The 70 tonner isnt even listed for parts sales

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sat May 16, 2020 10:31 am

bluelinec4 wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
webenda wrote:The pickup roller takes up the space where a gear would go and the roller can't go between the axles because the motor is there.

Thanks. Drive has similarities to a Q-car drive for trolleys. Adapting these drives might be possible for other uses.

I was thinking the same thing Its nearly impossible to buy any parts from Bachmann If you look at their parts order system most engines only have 8 parts available One of them is the powered chassis that sells for more than the engine sells for and none are available Simple things like truck side frames arent available now for nearly two years The 70 tonner isnt even listed for parts sales

Unfortunate. I could use a body and maybe sideframe, but rest would be only useful for a different project. Have to put this down low on the "to do" list.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

bluelinec4

Postby bluelinec4 » Sat May 16, 2020 11:27 am

These are the two I had painted Reversed the leads on one to travel reverse to the other

webenda

Postby webenda » Sat May 16, 2020 1:59 pm

bluelinec4 wrote:These are the two I had painted Reversed the leads on one to travel reverse to the other

Very nice, I love the 1988 paint scheme.
South Brooklyn Railway:=. http://members.trainweb.com/bedt/indloco/sbr.html

If you can get it in your railroad's livery I think the Williams by Bachmann paint jobs are pretty good.
The 50's happens to by my preferred SP era. The Tiger Stripe theme on SP switchers was used from 1947 to 1958.
Could it get any better? I'll find out when I test it (it hasn't been run yet.)

Maybe I should blow the packing material dust off of it. :roll:
Last edited by webenda on Sat May 16, 2020 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
----Wayne----

Back when I was growing up, if you didn't start someth'n, there wouldn't be noth'n.
--Merle Haggard

Roy

Postby Roy » Sat May 16, 2020 5:09 pm

bluelinec4 wrote:Its nearly impossible to buy any parts from Bachmann...The 70 tonner isnt even listed for parts sales
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:Unfortunate. I could use a body and maybe sideframe, but rest would be only useful for a different project.

What did you have in mind?
Torturers, White Racists, Gay Bashers, Rich Psychopaths.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sat May 16, 2020 5:35 pm

Roy wrote:
bluelinec4 wrote:Its nearly impossible to buy any parts from Bachmann...The 70 tonner isnt even listed for parts sales
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:Unfortunate. I could use a body and maybe sideframe, but rest would be only useful for a different project.

What did you have in mind?

Body looked decent enough to bash into a traction switcher engine; converting the drive is probably more than I want to bother getting involved with, but I could be wrong.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

Roy

Postby Roy » Sat May 16, 2020 6:04 pm

bluelinec4 wrote:[The WBB 70 tonner is] not a very good puller.

I wouldn't have expected this, from Bachmann. Crappy pull, from an engine with die-cast trucks and frame?

chuck

Postby chuck » Sat May 16, 2020 6:29 pm

Maybe they can get Mr. Dyson to come up with a neodymium magnet based motor that could be truck mounted and still pull stumps. Main problem is the motor will probably cost more than an entire Vision Line train set.
Once I built a railroad, I made it run,
Made it race against time.
Once I built a railroad, now it's done --
Brother, can you spare a dime?

Roy

Postby Roy » Sat May 16, 2020 7:12 pm

chuck wrote:Maybe they can get Mr. Dyson to come up with a neodymium magnet based motor that could be truck mounted and still pull stumps. Main problem is the motor will probably cost more than an entire Vision Line train set.

Last I heard, the Chinese are developing their rare earth resources, and have the market effectively cornered. I don't know if anyone is even looking for them, in the U.S.

But, I don't think a super motor is necessary, in this case. The WBB 70 tonner appears to have a bad drive design.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sat May 16, 2020 7:40 pm

Roy wrote:
chuck wrote:Maybe they can get Mr. Dyson to come up with a neodymium magnet based motor that could be truck mounted and still pull stumps. Main problem is the motor will probably cost more than an entire Vision Line train set.

Last I heard, the Chinese are developing their rare earth resources, and have the market effectively cornered. I don't know if anyone is even looking for them, in the U.S.

They have for a long time and our mines have effectively been closed or inactive for years.

But, I don't think a super motor is necessary, in this case. The WBB 70 tonner appears to have a bad drive design.

Maybe not if it gets used as a switcher and only pulls 3-4 cars max; folks might stop expecting every engine to pull 25-50 cars up a 3% grade.

Roy

Postby Roy » Sat May 16, 2020 8:29 pm

Roy wrote:The WBB 70 tonner appears to have a bad drive design.
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:Maybe not if it gets used as a switcher and only pulls 3-4 cars max...

That might be OK for a cheap, used, plastic-bodied, bakelite-motored Scout engine. Wayne laid out three hundred and fifty dollars for a brand-new locomotive. I think he has a right to expect better performance.

chuck

Postby chuck » Sat May 16, 2020 9:01 pm

A transverse motor with spur gears to drive the wheels, aka like a real diesel electric. You could even have one motor driving both axles. Lionel tried/still uses this but the motor was/is pretty low end. Not much low end torque.
Once I built a railroad, I made it run,
Made it race against time.
Once I built a railroad, now it's done --
Brother, can you spare a dime?

Roy

Postby Roy » Sat May 16, 2020 9:39 pm

chuck wrote:A transverse motor with spur gears to drive the wheels, aka like a real diesel electric. You could even have one motor driving both axles. Lionel tried/still uses this but the motor was/is pretty low end. Not much low end torque.

I prefer that sort of arrangement, because it's backdrivable. Of course, you can increase the torque, by changing the gear ratio. Such a switcher doesn't need to run 100 scale mph.

Since it's a hood diesel, you could mount a narrow can motor vertically, on the truck swivel axis. There are a lot of drive design options.

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Fri May 22, 2020 6:38 am

Isn't 3-4 cars for a 70 tonner about right?
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Fri May 22, 2020 9:00 am

rogruth wrote:Isn't 3-4 cars for a 70 tonner about right?

Maybe double that, but it seems that expectations are overriding reality.

Return to “O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading”