Some sad news about Model Train Journal's founder

All Facets of O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading
Forum Moderator2

Some sad news about Model Train Journal's founder

Postby Forum Moderator2 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:42 pm

https://scanlanfuneralhome.com/tribute/details/8982/William-Lango/obituary.html

Obituary of William Lango

William R. Lango went to heaven on June 29, 2018 at the age of 74, surrounded by his family.

He grew up in Queens, NY, Bloomingdale and Butler. Prior to moving to Riverdale he was a long-time resident of North Bergen. Preceded in death by parents Walter and Carmen and brother Robert. Beloved husband of Janice (nee Defina) for 53 years. Loving father of Karin (husband Lee Berman) and Kim (husband Stephen McBride). Cherished grandfather of Amber, Alexandra, Eladia, and Elaina.

Bill served his country proudly during the Cuban Missile Crisis aboard Navy battleship USS Mullinnix. A member of Operating Engineers Local 68, after being employed by AT&T, Nabisco and Consolidated Laundry, he worked at The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey at Journal Square for over 45 years. A hard worker, Bill was generous with his time and knowledge, briefly teaching engineering at Hudson County Vocational night school. He was an avid toy train and toy soldier enthusiast and published Toy Soldier Review magazine. An ambassador of the hobby, he promoted The East Coast Toy Soldier Show & Sale for 35 years. Multi-talented, he could fix anything and loved history, nature, stargazing, gardening, reading, film noir and Motown. His sense of humor will always be remembered by all who knew him. Above all, Bill led by example with great humility and generosity and his greatest source of pride was his family. Bill believed that a strong family was the true measure of a man.

Visitation will be held 4-8 pm Sunday at the M. John Scanlan Funeral Home in Pompton Plains. A funeral Mass will be held 10 am Monday at St. Mary's RC Church, Pompton Lakes. Burial will follow at Mt. Calvary Cemetery, Butler.

In lieu of flowers, donations to his favorite charity, Pacific Garden Mission (http://www.pgm.org) would be greatly appreciated.

Bill loved going to train shows, collecting and running model trains. He also enjoyed being able to provide a forum for hobbyists to get together, whether on line or in person. His wife and I attended this past weekends Greenberg train show and the outpouring of support by those who knew him was overwhelming. Thank you.

The forums here will continue to chug along. I'll moderate them (let's try to keep on topic) as best I can and if you see something that is a concern, let me know (I'm "moderator2"). Right now MTJ is faced with an onslaught of Russian bots trying to register for the forums, so that's been occupying my time.

If you know of anyone who has tried to register and not been successful, let them know to try again.

With appreciation,
Lee (one of Bill's sons in law)

J. S. Bach

Re: Some sad news about Model Train Journal's founder

Postby J. S. Bach » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:12 pm

I am very sorry to hear this. My condolences to his family,

webenda

Postby webenda » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:42 pm

Thank you for posting this Lee, I know it was hard for you to do. My condolences to you and your wife as well as to the rest if Bill's family. We at MTJ are all going to miss Bill Lango. He was so kind to all of us.
----Wayne----

Back when I was growing up, if you didn't start someth'n, there wouldn't be noth'n.
--Merle Haggard

E7

Postby E7 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:39 am

Sad news indeed! May all the lights be green Bill! R.I.P.

Rich

healey36

Postby healey36 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:10 am

Very sorry to hear this, Lee. Bill provided a great outlet for discussion here, one I suspect we have collectively tried to abide and honor.

Best wishes to the entire Lango family during these difficult times.

Paul

2railjon

Postby 2railjon » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:44 am

Very sad news. My condolences to Bill’s family.
Thank you for keeping his forum going and giving us hobos a place to gather. Rest In Peace, Bill.
Running that red block Charlie.

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:02 am

Forum Moderator2 / Lee, I am stunned to read this. Thank you for your thoughtfulness in letting us know of Bill's passing.
Murph

Tramp

Postby Tramp » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:50 pm

I wanted to post this here as well because High Rail Jon suggested it and Because Bill was certainly one of us hobos and left and let the Jungle run. This Jungle has an amazing amount of views if you really consider it. I wonder why?

Shocked to hear the news of Bill's death!

Nothing can be said but: Bill was the best. He upheld the true American values of freedom of speech, and trust and respect among fellow men. A good man is always missed, and Bill will certainly be missed. Rest in peace, Bill, knowing you did wonderfully here on Earth. We need more Bill's in this country. Cheers. I will raise a dram to you soon.
That a life will be spent gaining inches,
When this distance is read in miles.

christopher2035

Postby christopher2035 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:42 am

Prayers to the entire Lango family. My condolences
Christopher

Check out my rail photography page on Facebook & give a 'like' - www.facebook.com/EasternRailsPhotography/

Jim K

Postby Jim K » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:01 pm

Very sorry to hear this. Prayers with and condolences to the family.I will treasure that Big 4 gondola I was given
during one of Bill's "contests" even more........................

Jim K

Dixie Line

Postby Dixie Line » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:00 pm

Godspeed Bill Lango. Prayer for comfort and understanding to the family.
Louisville & Nashville
Old Reliable / Dixie Line

Neil

Postby Neil » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:47 am

I can only add my condolences to Bill's family and friends on his loss. And express my gratitude for his role in providing this forum all these years.
Neil

G3750

Postby G3750 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:14 am

I would like to echo the prayers and wishes of the other members for Bill and members of his family.

Model Train Journal has been an oasis of free speech that has attracted a small but dedicated group of terrific modelers. I continue to value the intelligent responses to questions, wide range of topics, and friendships made here. And I am grateful to Bill for creating such a space for these things to flourish.

Memory Eternal (as they say in my church),

George
What is a 'Conservative'? "Someone who wants society and policy to recognize objective reality- economic, biological, and historical."

—Katy Faust

bluelinec4

Postby bluelinec4 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:03 am

Came up on my memories on facebook

Jim K

Postby Jim K » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:47 pm

bluelinec4 wrote:Came up on my memories on facebook

Thanks for sharing the memory. I still think of Bill when that gondola is running.

Jim K

Return to “O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading”