OGR causes OCD

All Facets of O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading
Roy

Re: OGR causes OCD

Postby Roy » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:08 pm

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:Do you suppose this factor may have been contributory to the Titanic breaking in-two while sinking, since it had been traveling in ice-cold waters; perhaps, even part of why the ship's iron side could not do damage to the iceberg rather than the having the ice critically damage the ship?

I don't know that anyone ever checked the damage to the iceberg. :lol: The blue brittleness may have played a role in the hull breakage, though. Lots of bending stress, due to the difference in bouyancy of the water-filled bow, vs. the partly sealed stern.
Torturers, White Racists, Gay Bashers, Rich Psychopaths.

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:16 pm

Roy wrote:
MurphOnMillerAve wrote:Do you suppose this factor may have been contributory to the Titanic breaking in-two while sinking, since it had been traveling in ice-cold waters; perhaps, even part of why the ship's iron side could not do damage to the iceberg rather than the having the ice critically damage the ship?

I don't know that anyone ever checked the damage to the iceberg. :lol: ....

I watched those two movies about the disaster, and they both showed the iceberg being clipped and some of the snow/ice getting knocked onto the deck. That's my only reference point. (I saw your "LOL" and understand you are being light-hearted with your answer, but I couldn't find a emoticon to use that would have been appropriate, as part of my response, Roy. :) )

Roy

Postby Roy » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:26 pm

The most recent show I saw, they didn't see the oft-cited "300 ft. gash" in the sunken hull. Such a gash would have lead to a much faster sinking.

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:35 pm

Roy wrote:The most recent show I saw, they didn't see the oft-cited "300 ft. gash" in the sunken hull. Such a gash would have lead to a much faster sinking.

There was one special info-show recently that unequivocally state that a fire had been burning in one of the coal-bunkers for three days before sailing, so much so that potential workers were aware of it to the extent that many would not sign on for work aboard Titanic, thus saving their own lives, by happenstance, apparently.

Roy

Postby Roy » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:45 pm

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:There was one special info-show recently that unequivocally state that a fire had been burning in one of the coal-bunkers for three days before sailing, so much so that potential workers were aware of it to the extent that many would not sign on for work aboard Titanic, thus saving their own lives, by happenstance, apparently.

They have an underground coal fire in Pennsylvania that has been burning for over fifty years. One of their towns has been evacuated, because of it.

Tom Dempsey

Postby Tom Dempsey » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:46 pm

The consensus of recent opinion about this from the "experts" is that the ship failed due to steel brittleness from the cold. Iceberg's are harder than you think! Modern steel does not suffer from this problem. Technology moves ahead over time. SCIENCE!

Roy

Postby Roy » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:19 pm

Tom Dempsey wrote:Iceberg's are harder than you think!

Yeah, I wouldn't want to bite into one, thinking it was pudding.

webenda

Postby webenda » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:33 pm

Cannot offer supposition. Seawater freezes at 28.4 degrees Fahrenheit. That is above the cold brittle point of most steels. Without knowledge of the Titanic's steel alloy--just cannot invent an opinion.
----Wayne----

Back when I was growing up, if you didn't start someth'n, there wouldn't be noth'n.
--Merle Haggard

webenda

Postby webenda » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:47 pm

Tom Dempsey wrote:The consensus of recent opinion about this from the "experts" is that the ship failed due to steel brittleness from the cold. Iceberg's are harder than you think! Modern steel does not suffer from this problem. Technology moves ahead over time. SCIENCE!

I find expert's opinions about as trustworthy as newspapers and Fox news. Unless, of course, they happen to agree with my own opinions.

Here is an expert opinion from the University Of Missouri-Rolla: => https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/1 ... 000141.htm

"The steel used to build the Titanic was not as "impact-resistant" as modern steel, according to Dr. H.P. Leighly, a professor emeritus of metallurgical engineering at UMR. But it was the best steel available at the time, says Leighly, who studied some 200 pounds of steel from the wreckage."

Temperature is never mentioned in the report. I tend to believe this report because it reveals facts about steel I already know to be true.

More information:

Captain Lord, a few miles away, recorded the air temperature at midnight as -2.7°C (27°F). The sea was at -2.2°C (28°F).

The tempertures provided by Captain Lord are shown here (converted to Fahrenheit):
" Air. Water.
April 14 - Noon 50 56
4 p.m. 37 36
8 p.m. 30 32
Midnight 27 28
April 15 - 4 a. m. 29 29
8 a.m. ----- -----
Noon 38 31
----Wayne----

Back when I was growing up, if you didn't start someth'n, there wouldn't be noth'n.
--Merle Haggard

chuck

Postby chuck » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:29 pm

My understanding is that they are looking at the rivets as the source of failure. The images thorough the silt near the bow indicate the steel plates separated in six long lines rather than a single gash. The plates did not fail, the rivets holding them together did. The builders records indicate that iron rivets were used on the stern and bow while steel was used amidships (where stresses where supposed to be higher. There was some concern that the iron rivets may have been of a lower quality as well because of a shortage or materials.
Once I built a railroad, I made it run,
Made it race against time.
Once I built a railroad, now it's done --
Brother, can you spare a dime?

Roy

Postby Roy » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:55 pm

webenda wrote:Apparently, a coupler can break anywhere.

I'd be interested to know what temperature it was, when this coupler fractured. Also, it looks to me like another part of the knuckle is bent.

webenda

Postby webenda » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:03 pm

Roy wrote:I'd be interested to know what temperature it was, when this coupler fractured. Also, it looks to me like another part of the knuckle is bent.

I noticed that too but there is no knuckle in the image.

Here is a link to original image:=> http://www.railpictures.net/images/d1/0 ... 712710.jpg
» Superior, Wisconsin, USA (more..)
» January 28, 2010

It is 12 °F in Superior right now.

The coupler did not break while coupled in a train, it broke during switching. A new cotter key (no rust) indicates it had been removed and replaced recently. Perhaps the part that broke had latent damage from a previous problem.

Also, it is a Southern Pacific gondola. Gondolas are much abused in every way, they get no respect.

The most telling comment is this: Posted by Will Lohrbach on January 30, 2010
It was about -10 F. There is a prior crack that you can not see in this photo, and has rust spots in at least 3 places. It was caused by stopping after a kick, with a about ten loads behind 30 cushioned draw bars. They can download my tapes if they want.

Hmmm, OCD comes in pretty handy when it comes to digging for information. My image of this coupler came from Trains magazine with comments speculating about what happened. I just did a search to find the temperature at the time of fracture and found the coupler on Rail Pictures with the above comment from Will Lohrbach.
----Wayne----

--Merle Haggard

webenda

Postby webenda » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:46 pm

Here is one that broke on the other side. The part of the coupler body that looks bent in the previous photo has completely broken off in this one.
----Wayne----

--Merle Haggard

Tom Dempsey

Postby Tom Dempsey » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:08 am

Interesting looking draft gear.

Roy

Postby Roy » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:04 am

webenda wrote:Here is one that broke on the other side. The part of the coupler body that looks bent in the previous photo has completely broken off in this one.

I can't tell if that's orange paint, to mark the fracture, or rust.

Return to “O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading”