Real coal for your Coal Hoppers

All Facets of O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading
webenda

Re: Real coal for your Coal Hoppers

Postby webenda » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:55 pm

rogruth wrote:Wayne,
So what did you use for your coal and what did you use for the base?
Which leaves what glue did you use?
Or maybe you already answered my questions.

Hey Roger! You see? You and I have the power to turn MTJ back into Model Train Journal instead of a "How Stupid Are They?" forum.
Hint: Tell us about how you created a multi-use building on your property for housing your layout.
Hint: Tell us about "Errors to avoid" that you learned while building your model railroad.
Hint: Tell us about wiring your layout to avoid slow spots far from the transformers.
I posted about how I achieved improved running with a bus wire under my FasTrack, connecting every section to the bus wire. The thread seems to be deleted now.
Hint: Photos greatly improve a discussion.

To answer your questions, I used eBay for everything except sanding the sides to fit my coal car (I bought the thing ready to use. :D )
Attachments
usanamoose.jpg
usanamoose.jpg (55.7 KiB) Viewed 5131 times
Last edited by webenda on Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
----Wayne----

Back when I was growing up, if you didn't start someth'n, there wouldn't be noth'n.
--Merle Haggard

webenda

Postby webenda » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:05 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
webenda wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
Can you digest coal?

Maybe... Dr. Cyril A. Ponnamperuma, director of the Laboratory of Chemical Evolution at the University of Maryland, says it is not mere fantasy that food may someday be manufactured from coal.

Manufactured from is not novel - all sorts of pseudo-food stuffs has been perpetrated upon us as good for us being derived from synthetic origins - margerine comes to mind as one of the great horrors.

You mean like black pancakes made from coal flour? I wonder what that would taste like?

Today the primary ingredients of margarine are a vegetable oil, water, salt, emulsifiers, and some also include milk. What is wrong with that?
----Wayne----

Back when I was growing up, if you didn't start someth'n, there wouldn't be noth'n.
--Merle Haggard

robert.

Postby robert. » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:28 pm

For $6.00 they did a great job. Not everything on walmart.com come from them. Look into this. I google black oxide sand blasting media.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/BLACK-BEAUTY ... 3=&veh=sem
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

webenda

Postby webenda » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:36 pm

Tom Dempsey wrote:Looks like large lump to me.

If I get your drift Tom, you think it doesn't look much like a real coal load.?
----Wayne----

--Merle Haggard

Tom Dempsey

Postby Tom Dempsey » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:40 pm

Quite the opposite, it looks like a load of what was referred to as large lump coal pre WWII. I wouldn't change a thing, it's right.

webenda

Postby webenda » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:42 pm

robert. wrote:For $6.00 they did a great job. Not everything on walmart.com come from them. Look into this. I google black oxide sand blasting media.

It is not coal, so no deal for making a "real coal" load. However, it looks perfect for simulating Southern Pacific crushed slag ballast, either in a hopper or under the track.
Last edited by webenda on Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
----Wayne----

--Merle Haggard

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:45 pm

webenda wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
webenda wrote:Maybe... Dr. Cyril A. Ponnamperuma, director of the Laboratory of Chemical Evolution at the University of Maryland, says it is not mere fantasy that food may someday be manufactured from coal.

Manufactured from is not novel - all sorts of pseudo-food stuffs has been perpetrated upon us as good for us being derived from synthetic origins - margerine comes to mind as one of the great horrors.

You mean like black pancakes made from coal flour? I wonder what that would taste like?

Today the primary ingredients of margarine are a vegetable oil, water, salt, emulsifiers, and some also include milk. What is wrong with that?

Today it is. There was a time when "petroleum by-products" were involved....
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

webenda

Postby webenda » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:46 pm

Tom Dempsey wrote:Quite the opposite, it looks like a load of what was referred to as large lump coal pre WWII. I wouldn't change a thing, it's right.

ohhh! The size of each lump. :shock: Gotcha. 8)

Size of scale things could be another topic. Scale size coal in 1:48 scale might look like dust to my old eyes. The giant lumps are more pleasing because I can see them clearly.

I just measured one of the coal lumps... 2.00 mm or ~3 3/4 inches in 1:48 scale. A larger piece measured 4 mm ~ 7 1/2 in.

Now I want to know how big the coal lumps are in my prototype image?
Using photogrammetry (and ~ 10 foot or 120 inch car width as a reference) I get 4.6 x 5.2 inches for a typical prototype lump.
828 px = 120 inches
32 px = 4.6 inches
36 px = 5.2 inches
----Wayne----

--Merle Haggard

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:52 pm

A lot of coal was larger than that until stokers became prevalent. 1960s?
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

webenda

Postby webenda » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:12 am

----Wayne----

--Merle Haggard

healey36

Postby healey36 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:27 am

Like you said Wayne, it's a toy...I wouldn't worry too much if the lumps are scale. Another source of material is the loose charcoal used for aquarium filters. That stuff can be a bit too large but if you whack it a few times while still in the package it breaks up into more realistic sized chunks.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:18 am

webenda wrote:Scale size coal in 1:48 scale might look like dust to my old eyes.

Seems rarely used for that very reason. Most coal loads I've seen seem to be too large...
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

webenda

Postby webenda » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:32 pm

healey36 wrote:Like you said Wayne, it's a toy...I wouldn't worry too much if the lumps are scale. Another source of material is the loose charcoal used for aquarium filters. That stuff can be a bit too large but if you whack it a few times while still in the package it breaks up into more realistic sized chunks.

Thank you for the tip Healey.

Measuring things, like coal lumps, is one of my hobbies. Metrology was both my hobby and career. When I retired I no longer had access to precision weight balances. I found a digital scale at the post office. It weighs up to 10 lbs. But how would I know if it was accurate? So I bought a weighing scale calibration set. But how would I know if my inexpensive Chinese calibration weight set was accurate? I just happened to have one of the Silicon Kilogram weights that were rejected for being a few millionths of a gram in error. Comparing my Silicon Kilogram to the Chinese scale calibration weights provides traceability for my weight measurements.

Reference: https://www.nist.gov/physical-measureme ... ro-project

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
webenda wrote:Scale size coal in 1:48 scale might look like dust to my old eyes.

Seems rarely used for that very reason. Most coal loads I've seen seem to be too large...

The lumps on this one from eBay are about right for the 50's. I once picked one up (1950) that had fallen off a coal train. It was HUGE to an eight year old. (Might have been "run of mine" size?)

rogruth wrote:A lot of coal was larger than that until stokers became prevalent. 1960s?

Thank you for that information Roger. I remember the same thing.
----Wayne----

--Merle Haggard

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:14 pm

Possibly scale size coal is more important to a 2 R scale modeler than to the
3R modeler who isn't bothered as much by oversize flanges and couplers.
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

G3750

Postby G3750 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:09 pm

rogruth wrote:Possibly scale size coal is more important to a 2 R scale modeler than to the
3R modeler who isn't bothered as much by oversize flanges and couplers.

:!: :!: :!: :!:

Yeah, what he said! :lol:
What is a 'Conservative'? "Someone who wants society and policy to recognize objective reality- economic, biological, and historical."

—Katy Faust

Return to “O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading”