TM's "Modern O Gauge Remote Control Part 2"

All Facets of O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading
Robert Bubeck

TM's "Modern O Gauge Remote Control Part 2"

Postby Robert Bubeck » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:56 pm

Many cringe at the thought of wading through instruction manuals, or are just congenitally oblivious to such exercises. Riding to the rescue of these wayward souls are Bob Phillips and the boys at TM Video, who have prepared two excellent instructional videos covering Legacy and TMCC operations. The new TM instructional video, Modern O Gauge Remote Control Part 2, builds upon the introduction to Lionel Legacy control covered in Modern O Gauge Remote Control Part 1. Part 2 addresses the use of switch and accessory control with SC-1 and SC-2 modules and an in depth review of how to use TrainLink to incorporate the use of accessory cars into the operation of TMCC and Legacy trains. The Lionel Layout Control System (LCS) is highlighted in which a series of train operations may be automated via programming of the newer Legacy engines so equipped using an LCS sensor and programming track section. The Wi-Fi enabled LCS scheme is also demonstrated which permits one’s layout to be diagrammed on an Apple iPad and run one’s trains using a free downloadable app with either an iPhone or iPad. LionChief and LionChief+ equipped trains, hand held controllers, and the use of Bluetooth with this system are included in the instruction. Recommended for its clarity and as a stocking stuffer for the Post-Modern Era Lionel train enthusiast.

chuck

Re: TM's "Modern O Gauge Remote Control Part 2"

Postby chuck » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:19 pm

Thanks for posting. I've always been a bit disappointed in the Legacy docs. The original TMCC "manual" was very well organized and easy to read. The Legacy docs seemed to have been prepared by four or five guys that didn't spend much time talking to each other. Everything is "there" but it's strewn throughout the manual.
Once I built a railroad, I made it run,
Made it race against time.
Once I built a railroad, now it's done --
Brother, can you spare a dime?

Robert Bubeck

Postby Robert Bubeck » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:56 pm

chuck wrote:Thanks for posting. I've always been a bit disappointed in the Legacy docs. The original TMCC "manual" was very well organized and easy to read. The Legacy docs seemed to have been prepared by four or five guys that didn't spend much time talking to each other. Everything is "there" but it's strewn throughout the manual.

Yeh, I hear ya, Chuck. The various versions of the Legacy instruction manual are, shall we say, a bit dense. These two videos can be a help to many Lionel enthusiasts.

Bob

G3750

Postby G3750 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:33 pm

chuck wrote:Thanks for posting. I've always been a bit disappointed in the Legacy docs. The original TMCC "manual" was very well organized and easy to read. The Legacy docs seemed to have been prepared by four or five guys that didn't spend much time talking to each other. Everything is "there" but it's strewn throughout the manual.

I will say this: at least Lionel puts technically correct and ample documentation out there. That's more than I can say for our purple friends. Anything useful on DCS has come from 3rd parties and the cottage consulting industry spawned to actually make it function. :roll:

Regardless, glad to see some new TMCC and Legacy info.

George
What is a 'Conservative'? "Someone who wants society and policy to recognize objective reality- economic, biological, and historical."

—Katy Faust

chuck

Postby chuck » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:15 am

I will say this: at least Lionel puts technically correct and ample documentation out there.

Oh yes, it's all there, it's just all over the place. I always admired the "Complete Guide to Command Control", about 50 pages long, well illustrated, insanely well organized. Real world examples, command code reference guide. The "supplement" was about 1 page with additional information on ground plane issues and reset codes. You could easily study the document from front to back in about 30 minutes and then find anything you were looking for in either the TOC or the index. They told you how to turn something on/enable and then how to turn it off/disable. Not 20 pages later, either the same page or the very next. My kind of documentation!

Legacy docs are too dense and are very strangely organized. I know the CAB-2 has a lot more functionality and that makes the documentation more challenging but it's still a PITA to find stuff because of all the cross referencing. There was also a tendency to put in several pages of "cool features" that should have been collected into a separate section.

With the to tomes totaling 300+ pages required for DCS even the Legacy docs look concise/well organized.
Once I built a railroad, I made it run,
Made it race against time.
Once I built a railroad, now it's done --
Brother, can you spare a dime?

jlong

Postby jlong » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:12 pm

Many refuse to believe the instructions and do not read them.
John Long

One nation under Josh with ozone an magnetraction for all

G3750

Postby G3750 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:26 am

jlong wrote:Many refuse to believe the instructions and do not read them.

:?

What happens then, John? Do they wander in the wilderness for 40 years? :wink: :lol:

George
What is a 'Conservative'? "Someone who wants society and policy to recognize objective reality- economic, biological, and historical."

—Katy Faust

G3750

Postby G3750 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:29 am

chuck wrote:
I will say this: at least Lionel puts technically correct and ample documentation out there.

Oh yes, it's all there, it's just all over the place. I always admired the "Complete Guide to Command Control", about 50 pages long, well illustrated, insanely well organized. Real world examples, command code reference guide. The "supplement" was about 1 page with additional information on ground plane issues and reset codes. You could easily study the document from front to back in about 30 minutes and then find anything you were looking for in either the TOC or the index. They told you how to turn something on/enable and then how to turn it off/disable. Not 20 pages later, either the same page or the very next. My kind of documentation!

Legacy docs are too dense and are very strangely organized. I know the CAB-2 has a lot more functionality and that makes the documentation more challenging but it's still a PITA to find stuff because of all the cross referencing. There was also a tendency to put in several pages of "cool features" that should have been collected into a separate section.

With the to tomes totaling 300+ pages required for DCS even the Legacy docs look concise/well organized.

I hear you, Chuck. Well written, concise, and useful documentation is an accomplishment in itself. It's not easy to do. I've seen poor documentation unfairly tarnish the reputation of many a technically well-built system.

George

—Katy Faust

Return to “O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading”