Greetings ... Again

All Facets of O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading
PJB

Greetings ... Again

Postby PJB » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:00 pm

Hi everyone!

I had joined this forum some time back but haven't really posted much. I usually posted on the "forum" that's an off-shoot of one of the magazines. I'm glad I'm here, as this site has come highly recommended from some people I respect (thanks George P. and GRJ). And, it doesn't appear to be cultish or have any of the shenanigans that go on on other "forums." Meaning, from what I've seen, this site is made up of adult-minded hobbyists who are in it for the enjoyment. And, I don't see the Mods here deleting posts and threads when the facts in the post or thread are contrary to the interests of a "forum sponsor."

In terms of our next steps, we just disassembled our 70% complete 16 x 33 L-shaped layout to create a living area on one side of the basement and an area for a smaller layout area on the other side. I've started making some prelim plans for a 15 x10 layout. It will go through a partitioning wall between the finished part of the basement and the boiler room. And, it will basically be a birthday cake set-up given the limited space and our desire to keep minimum 072 curves - so we can run our VLBBs and other larger locomotives. As I get closer to finalizing the plan and closer to building, I plan to post a sort of progress journal as we go along. I'm still a novice and looking forward to everyone's feedback to help,with a better end product!

If anyone has a 10x15 (or so) layout and has any insight, I'd totally appreciate it. Thanks!

PJB

J. S. Bach

Re: Greetings ... Again

Postby J. S. Bach » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:05 pm

Welcome to the asylum!! I am sure that you will get a lot of good suggestions; czech out a thread titled "Down by the River - Part 2". G3750 is in the process of starting a similar-sized layout based on the Steubenville, OH area.There should be some ideas hiding in his thread.

G3750

Postby G3750 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:56 pm

Welcome, welcome, welcome!

My first layout, PRR Panhandle 1.0 was 18.5' x 10' (roughly). That build thread, named "What's New on the PRR Panhandle Division?", might be useful to you (mostly in what to avoid :oops: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: ). Here's that link: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13130

I am just starting a new, much larger, layout build. My new layout is "What's New on the PRR Panhandle 2.0?" I hope to learn from my past mistakes. It's more fun making new mistakes! :lol:

Anyway, please keep us informed on your new build.

George
What is a 'Conservative'? "Someone who wants society and policy to recognize objective reality- economic, biological, and historical."

—Katy Faust

jlong

Postby jlong » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:56 am

Welcome to the dark side.
John Long

One nation under Josh with ozone an magnetraction for all

PJB

Postby PJB » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:04 am

Thanks! Will definitely check out those links.

My biggest challenge is going to be making a rural area and a cityscape coexist in a somewhat realistic way all within this same small footprint. I actually think I have that solved though - well, maybe. Thinking that the outer (broadest) loops (lowest level) will be grass and hills with maybe a small canyon. The inner loops will be at a higher elevation, on a plateau. The transition between the levels will be like you see along many highways here in the Northeast - a wall carved from the existing rock hills. At the higher level, I can have my cityscape, and it will be visually separated by the height difference. I guess I'll know how this looks once I create the plan and make a drawing from it...

Thanks again for the welcome and links to helpful threads!

healey36

Postby healey36 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:12 am

Looking forward to seeing these projects progress over the winter.

Healey

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:11 pm

PJB,
Glad you are posting again.
You will find an interesting assortment of posters here.
Thread drift is almost expected and not too many get upset about it.
This is a forum where you can get answers and have FUN.
So go to it.
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

Return to “O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading”