Almono PA

All Facets of O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading
healey36

Almono PA

Postby healey36 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:37 am

I'm not too familiar with the Pittsburgh area, but this looks like a former industrial site repurposed:

http://www.businessinsider.com/ubers-fake-city-pittsburgh-self-driving-cars-2017-10

We used to have a General Dynamics robotics plant in our industrial park in Westminster, MD. It was fun watching Humvees driving themselves around in an open field...this looks to be seriously more advanced.

Healey

Tom Dempsey

Re: Almono PA

Postby Tom Dempsey » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:31 pm

If this program works out, it will become most unedifying exercise for drunks to curse out a robotic driver at midnight.

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:47 pm

healey36 wrote:I'm not too familiar with the Pittsburgh area, but this looks like a former industrial site repurposed:

http://www.businessinsider.com/ubers-fake-city-pittsburgh-self-driving-cars-2017-10...Healey

IMO , Healey, you can conclude you are correct about that site along the Monongahela River being a former industrial site. Having grown up along the Monongahela, I can assure you that Hazelwood, being along that river, downriver from Homestead, Braddock, McKeesport, Duquesne, and Glassport, indicates it was likely involved in the production of steel.

The steel mills are all gone now, and communities are very desirous of as many uses for such real estate as can be conjured-up.
Murph

Mitch

Postby Mitch » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:40 pm

Yeah, it was a steel mill, but I can't recall if it was U.S.Steel or J & L. Next site upriver was Homestead, that was U.S.Steel, (worked in the shuttle yard there in '77 loadin' trailers), next big site downriver would be Braddock. That mill is definitely USSteel, formerly the largest mill in the U.S. and still working. I think it's the only mill left in Pittsburgh.
If you agree with the Progressives, it's freedom of speech. If you disagree, it's hate speech. There are no alternatives.

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:49 pm

Very good to learn all that from you, Mitch. Your information is far more up-to-date than mine, which really came to a close, for all practical, firsthand purposes, once I graduated from college in the late 60's and began my adult life outside of the Pittsburgh area. However, it sure was enjoyable reading those names again and the steel mill details. Thanks! :D
Murph

healey36

Postby healey36 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:32 am

Mitch wrote:Yeah, it was a steel mill, but I can't recall if it was U.S.Steel or J & L. Next site upriver was Homestead, that was U.S.Steel, (worked in the shuttle yard there in '77 loadin' trailers), next big site downriver would be Braddock. That mill is definitely USSteel, formerly the largest mill in the U.S. and still working. I think it's the only mill left in Pittsburgh.

Thanks for that Mitch...useful to hang some names and a chronology on these sites. I've only been back to Pittsburgh once since the 1970's and that was probably in the mid-1990's at the latest. Still hard to get one's head around such massive de-industrialization. Bethlehem and Sparrows Point yield much the same.

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:51 am

With the steel mills gone, here's an example of how things have changed...
Attachments
a.jpg
a.jpg (597.21 KiB) Viewed 3328 times
13457148885_0367d3d99c_b.jpg
13457148885_0367d3d99c_b.jpg (279.52 KiB) Viewed 3328 times

Return to “O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading”