Recommendation for a compound mitre saw?

All Facets of O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading
G3750

Recommendation for a compound mitre saw?

Postby G3750 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:17 pm

All,

My Delta 10" Compound Mitre saw (purchased about 20 years ago) has never been a particularly accurate tool. I'm thinking of replacing it. Any suggestions, recommendations, make/models to avoid?

Thanks,

George
What is a 'Conservative'? "Someone who wants society and policy to recognize objective reality- economic, biological, and historical."

—Katy Faust

jlong

Re: Recommendation for a compound mitre saw?

Postby jlong » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:25 pm

Milwaukee, Dewalt and Bosch are good brands to look at. Stay away from Makita, Ryobi and Rigid. Toss the blade that comes with whatever you buy and spend $50 or better on a quality blade. The cheap blades deflect, walk and pass deflection stress into your saw. Maybe a quality blade in your Delta will solve your problems. I don't know what you're running. Woodworkers Depot and the like is the place to shop for blades. I have a Milwaukee 10" non sliding I bought 15 years ago for like $250. Solid, robust, powerful and accurate as hell. Cast and machined aluminum base. No frills. Frills suck. Easy to lug around I should add. Unless you're cutting stock wider than 5 1/2", sliding compounds are a bitch to lug around and if you want something solid and accurate, prepare to pay north of $500 for a sliding compound. Again blade quality makes all the difference in the world.
John Long

One nation under Josh with ozone an magnetraction for all

G3750

Postby G3750 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:44 pm

Thanks John, excellent advice. I am leaning towards a DeWalt and will look at Milwaukee and Bosch as well. Your point about the blade is well taken. That's something I saw with my hobby table saw and with this compound table saw; both were replaced with better quality blades with larger numbers of teeth.

The bevel adjustment handle / adjustment on this Delta has broken, probably a casualty of the move. I was never in love with its angle adjustment mechanism - crude and sloppily made. I noticed the problem when I started cutting furring strips for my pegboard. These can't be seen so it's not a big deal, but when I start building benchwork that's another story.

Thanks again.

George
What is a 'Conservative'? "Someone who wants society and policy to recognize objective reality- economic, biological, and historical."

—Katy Faust

E7

Postby E7 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:06 am

Just me, but I would forget about the "compound" and get a plain old power mitre. Save the cuts less than 90 degrees for a table saw. Too much chance for the arm to wobble......why I got rid of my radial arm saw. I have a DeWalt and like it, and I have some Milwaukee and Bosch drills which I like.

Jon is correct regarding blades....don't cheap out!

I think "Fine Woodworking" magazine reviews tools annually.....not sure which issue.

Rich

Edited to remove second name, one of me is more than enough! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by E7 on Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

webenda

Postby webenda » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:46 am

http://www.finewoodworking.com/tools-materials
Click on, "Miter Saws"
EXAMPLE: Reveiw of Skil - Skil 3821-01 12-in Chopsaw
"This saw has too many problems for us to recommend it."
----Wayne----

Back when I was growing up, if you didn't start someth'n, there wouldn't be noth'n.
--Merle Haggard

G3750

Postby G3750 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:53 am

Thank you Rich and Wayne!

That is a very useful link!

I was out to the big box stores over the past two days. The DeWalt 12" bi-bevel model is very impressive, but massive overkill for what I need. I am leaning towards a DeWalt 10" compound miter saw. At least initially, I will re-use the 10" blade off my old saw. I replaced that blade for the exact reasons cited by you and John Long and it has performed well. If its performance tails off, then I will replace it again with another high-end blade.

George

—Katy Faust

jlong

Postby jlong » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:06 pm

G3750 wrote:Thank you Rich and Wayne!

I was out to the big box stores over the past two days. The DeWalt 12" bi-bevel model is very impressive, but massive overkill for what I need.

George

That us one bulky SOB. Cost of quality 12" blade will kill you too. Not as common as 10". With 10", one important thing to do is fully engage the blade into the base and measure the widest board it will cut at 90 degrees. if it's a notch less than 5 1/2", then I would pass.
John Long

G3750

Postby G3750 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:42 pm

jlong wrote:
G3750 wrote:Thank you Rich and Wayne!

I was out to the big box stores over the past two days. The DeWalt 12" bi-bevel model is very impressive, but massive overkill for what I need.

George

That us one bulky SOB. Cost of quality 12" blade will kill you too. Not as common as 10". With 10", one important thing to do is fully engage the blade into the base and measure the widest board it will cut at 90 degrees. if it's a notch less than 5 1/2", then I would pass.

Yes, I noted that. I think 6" in the max, but I will verify that.

Thanks,

George

—Katy Faust

robert.

Postby robert. » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:10 pm

not all 10 inch blades have the same size hole. for 30 years i got all our blade re sharpened. now nobody will do it. All the blades i get today are to loud. I buy cheap Dewalt blades. After 25 years my guys still don't look for nail in wood. I have a delta saw with 10 foot of table on both sides. It worked great for a few weeks. Then somebody was trimming a pocket door. Whamo they hit a brass corner brace hidden in the door. that saw has never been the same. It's a radial arm saw. When they hit the brass it kick up pretty good. Now the arm wont stay tight and true.
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

jlong

Postby jlong » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:32 pm

robert. wrote:All the blades i get today are to loud. I buy cheap Dewalt blades. After 25 years my guys still don't look for nail in wood.

One thing I really hate about home center lumber besides finding stock that is fairly true is those FGK the SKU tags they staple on the ends. I'm good at removing them but every now and then I miss the boat and they (the staples) always land where I make my rip cuts. Staples are nowhere near as damaging as nails but that ting noise just leaves me sour.
John Long

gregj410

Postby gregj410 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:15 pm

I bought this one last year after my festool Kapex had to go to Indiana for repairs. I use it everyday cutting white oak or harder woods. It has dual sliding action on the top and bottom if you wish to shorten up the length of cut. It locks out of the common angles if you need to creep up by a 1/2 a degree or so. The back stops adjust easily in or out for material support and can easily be removed. There also easily cut on certain compound cuts if you forget to adjust them out. My son learned that last week :lol: It's a little tricky learning to adjust the compound cuts but once you get the hang of it it's a walk in the park. It be easier to understand and figure out if the manual was printed in a larger font but that's why they make YouTube. Also make sure you get a 0 degree or negative hook blade so the saw won't run when your pulling the cut.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-15-Amp-10-in-Dual-Slide-Compound-Miter-Saw-with-Laser-LS1016L/202023014?cm_mmc=Shopping%7CTHD%7CG%7C0%7CG-BASE-PLA-AllProducts%7C&gclid=Cj0KEQjw4cLKBRCZmNTvyovvj-4BEiQAl_sgQtkbe190sMdZkYCKXZMxnDiyfmjuIpHdj8KX8kl0PnwaAo098P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

Return to “O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading”