What's New on the PRR Panhandle 2.0?

All Facets of O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading
MurphOnMillerAve

Re: What's New on the PRR Panhandle 2.0?

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:04 pm

Hi Healey and George, It is especially gratifying to me that when I first constructed my layout in 1995, I used some of the same rationale you both have explained in this part of the thread.

That is, I used 3/4" plywood precisely because I did want it heavy and sturdy enough, like you, Healey, to hold my walking atop it, which I knew would be often.

I used 2x4s for the frame and the inner bracing, configured just as your diagram explains, George, and made 2x4 legs as well.

A second and a third level were constructed the same way, albeit it with shorter legs, of course.

I have approximately 15 such platforms establishing the main level of the layout, each bolted to the other along their sides and ends, where they abut, all of which, combined, makes certain there is no wobbling or shifting around whatsoever.

Every edge of the layout which is not along a viewing aisle is against a basement wall.

Here are two shots showing examples of the very amateur work I accomplished, which is exposed for these pictures along the viewing aisle. I continue to mount the layout to this day, though I keep that little bit of exercise to a minimum, these days.
Murph
Attachments
IMG_0606cx.jpg
IMG_0606cx.jpg (170.76 KiB) Viewed 1862 times
IMG_0604cx.jpg
IMG_0604cx.jpg (192.83 KiB) Viewed 1862 times
Last edited by MurphOnMillerAve on Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

G3750

Postby G3750 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:17 am

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:Hi Healey and George, It is especially gratifying to me that when I first constructed my layout in 1995, I used some of the same rationale you both have explained in this part of the thread.

That is, I used 3/4" plywood precisely because I did want it heavy and sturdy enough, like you, Healey, to hold my walking atop it, which I knew would be often.

I used 2x4s for the frame and the inner bracing, just as your diagram explains, George, and made 2x4 legs as well.

A second and a third level were constructed the same way, albeit it with shorter legs, of course.

I have approximately 15 such platforms establishing the main level of the layout, each bolted to the other along their sides and ends, where they abut, all of which, combined, makes certain there is no wobbling or shifting around whatsoever.

Every edge of the layout which is not along a viewing aisle is against a basement wall.

Here are two shots showing examples of the very amateur work I accomplished, which is exposed for these pictures along the viewing aisle. I continue to mount the layout to this day, though I keep that little bit of exercise to a minimum, these days.
Murph

Well Murph, you might not be happy as soon as I explain.

Table top will be 5 ply 19/32 (about 5/8"). I am using 2 x 2s for ribs and legs. However, a friend of mine used this construction technique and he can stand on the his layout. He's 6'2" 250 lbs.

George
What is a 'Conservative'? "Someone who wants society and policy to recognize objective reality- economic, biological, and historical."

—Katy Faust

healey36

Postby healey36 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:18 am

Using 2x2's and being fifty inches in the air I think you'll want to maximize the bracing features. My experience with 2x2's is that they can be a bit "spindly" once you exceed certain lengths. To be honest, the strongest, sturdiest platform legs I've seen were constructed of a pair of 1x4's in an "L" configuration. It still required bracing at various intervals but the strength was impressive.

5/8-inch plywood should be fine. I remember tromping all over The Old Man's 1/2-inch topped HO layout when I was in my early twenties without a problem (of course I was considerably lighter than). His framing was of 1x6's with 2x3 legs. He had cross members running all the way around the legs probably eighteen inches off the floor which made crawling around underneath a pain.

My current layout is 3/4-inch plywood atop a frame built of 1x4's with 2X3 and 2x4 legs, braced with sections of 2x3 and 2x2's. It's built in four sections, each section connected to the next using old C-clamps (I used to tear down the layout every two or three years and reconfigure it, a 'la Christopher, although never as brilliantly). Like Murph it butts basement walls on two sides.

All this talk has me wishing I was down in the basement...

Healey

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:01 am

G3750 wrote:
MurphOnMillerAve wrote:Hi Healey and George, It is especially gratifying to me that when I first constructed my layout in 1995, I used some of the same rationale you both have explained in this part of the thread.

I used 2x4s for the frame and the inner bracing, configured just as your diagram explains, George, and made 2x4 legs as well.

Murph

Well Murph, you might not be happy as soon as I explain.

Table top will be 5 ply 19/32 (about 5/8"). I am using 2 x 2s for ribs and legs. However, a friend of mine used this construction technique and he can stand on the his layout. He's 6'2" 250 lbs.

George

Well, our configurations were still the same, and I had felt safe with that. My using 2x4s was mostly because I was not particularly familiar with 2x2s and felt I would likely need the extra heft of thicker and wider supports. My LHS hobbyist and hardware store owner gave me the idea when I went there to ask him, "How do I do this?"

To me, it is enjoyable seeing the many ways we hobbyists approach the same, or at least similar, challenges of having a layout. I figured, I am a high school English teacher, what did I know about lumber (!) and proceeded from there. :roll: :lol:

So, your posting was fun for me because it kind of validated what I figured, all along, was totally amateur, my selecting the dimensions of the lumber as well as that bracing feature. I have no idea where I got that.

In fact, the day all that pre-cut lumber arrived , delivered to my driveway, all those legs and braces and framing and the fifteen 4'x8' slabs of 3/4" plywood, my reaction, which I actually found myself saying out loud, was, "Uh oh." :shock: :? :mrgreen:

G3750

Postby G3750 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:25 pm

Murph, don’t tell anyone but “Uh, oh” is a phrase I have used often. :lol:

George
What is a 'Conservative'? "Someone who wants society and policy to recognize objective reality- economic, biological, and historical."

—Katy Faust

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:31 pm

G3750 wrote:... “Uh, oh” is a phrase...

is a phrase you never want to hear while under local anesthetic, :wink: :wink:
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:47 pm

You guys are a trip. A good trip. A trip to somewhere safe and pleasant where even an over-lumbered, non-handy aging teacher can find a friendly, non-mocking handshake, as he shares tales of his layout shenanigans. Dats nice. Yup!

I'll have to stumble into this neck-of-the-woods again some time. :D
In the meantime, everybody, be well, safe, and very happy.

As "The Lion King" messages each performance, There will be a time after you.
So I say, Have a very good time, now.

Murph
P.S. I never said I was short-winded. :roll: :?

G3750

Postby G3750 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:29 pm

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:You guys are a trip. A good trip. A trip to somewhere safe and pleasant where even an over-lumbered, non-handy aging teacher can find a friendly, non-mocking handshake, as he shares tales of his layout shenanigans. Dats nice. Yup!

I'll have to stumble into this neck-of-the-woods again some time. :D
In the meantime, everybody, be well, safe, and very happy.

Likewise, my friend, likewise. Be well. :)

George

—Katy Faust

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:37 pm

Thank you, George. Thank you very much.

G3750

Postby G3750 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:31 pm

Updated 12/16/2017:

• Placed my order for Plastruct for two building projects.
  • Unpacked and set up my hobby table saw.
  • Moved enough of the lumber in the garage to bring the car inside (Trust me, this was a big contributor to continued hobby activities and domestic tranquility. :wink: )
  • Completed the presentation for the remaining museum BOD members. It went well and now the search for funding begins.

George

—Katy Faust

healey36

Postby healey36 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:57 pm

G3750 wrote:Moved enough of the lumber in the garage to bring the car inside (Trust me, this was a big contributor to continued hobby activities and domestic tranquility. :wink: )

George

Yeah, I gotta work on that. Bunch of books in boxes sitting in the wife’s parking spot. She’s been gracious, but I sense I’m running out of rope.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:18 pm

healey36 wrote:
G3750 wrote:Moved enough of the lumber in the garage to bring the car inside (Trust me, this was a big contributor to continued hobby activities and domestic tranquility. :wink: )

George

Yeah, I gotta work on that. Bunch of books in boxes sitting in the wife’s parking spot. She’s been gracious, but I sense I’m running out of rope.

I just tore out the wet bar and put the debris pile in the wife’s parking spot.......... :mrgreen:
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

G3750

Postby G3750 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:40 pm

healey36 wrote:

George

I hear you.

Got the car into the garage, got a cover on the a/c unit (including putting some mounting screw-eyes in the frame and installing bungee cords), bought a new gas can (where the **** did the 3 I had go during the move? :oops: ), and getting gas in it for the snowblower - all ahead of Tuesday night's snowstorm.

George

—Katy Faust

healey36

Postby healey36 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:08 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
healey36 wrote:

George

I just tore out the wet bar and put the debris pile in the wife’s parking spot.......... :mrgreen:

I’ll pray for you, lol.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:55 pm

healey36 wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
healey36 wrote:

I’ll pray for you, lol.

Thank you. But if she wants me to do carpentry, electrical, and plumbing, and then to also build custom cabinetry, then the debris pile goes wherever unless I feed it to the fireplace.........which I may do yet tonight.

Return to “O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading”