All Facets of O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading
ScaleCraft

Re: This forum

Postby ScaleCraft » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:50 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
robert. wrote:
chuck wrote:
OK, all true. :roll:

Don't forget we got clowns,beer,hobos,poetry, confusing anount of Roberts and recently boobies' so but that in your pipe and smoke it.(news guy says "today is national weed day")

And Ducks! Never forget about the Ducks!

that are watching each and every person here and reporting back on everything that we do.

I thought that was the mice? Hitchhiker's Guide and all that rot.....42?
Dave....collector, restorer, and operator of the finest doorstops

chuck

Postby chuck » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:21 pm

Personally, I liked Williams before it became Williams by Bachmann.

Those were well built chassis that were a good deal for what you got. You could kitbash to your heart's content and not feel the least guilty about "wrecking" a "precious gem" of a product or "damaging" the non existent details. These were trains that were close to original PW in that you could literally kick the sh*t out of them and they would still run and you didn't need to take out a second mortgage to buy them.

I used to like MTH when you could buy a DCRU and a basic horn/whistle/bell. Since they went to PS-2 and PS-3 I've only purchased a couple of subway sets with "LocoSounds" in them. I refused to pay extra money for stuff I really didn't want or need especially when it was a royal PITA to fix when something did go wrong. I'm not into gutting and reselling either. I will gut but the parts go into the spares bin.

Now that WBB has "added" a new and poorly done sound system and doubled their prices as well I think I will be looking at the second hand market for anything else I may want.
Once I built a railroad, I made it run,
Made it race against time.
Once I built a railroad, now it's done --
Brother, can you spare a dime?

Roy

Postby Roy » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:50 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:And Ducks! Never forget about the Ducks!

Never Mind the Ducks, Here's the Ringtail Lemurs:

Torturers, White Racists, Gay Bashers, Rich Psychopaths.

Seaboard Air Line Fan

Postby Seaboard Air Line Fan » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:37 am

My focus on model railroading is so narrow (Seaboard Air Line and BPRC) that I feel like I'm talking to myself whenever I post.

Combined with running on 2-rail track with 3-rail wheels puts me in such a minority that if a separate sub-Forum was created I would probably be the only one posting in it.

I look at posts others make in the 2-rail and 3-rail sub-forums but I rarely reply, mainly because I have nothing constructive to add or have no interest in the subject matter.

It's a good thing others here don't feel the same way, or it would be a very silent Forum.
BobD aka Drifty

The Crow Flies At Midnight

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:59 am

Seaboard Air Line Fan wrote:My focus on model railroading is so narrow (Seaboard Air Line and BPRC) that I feel like I'm talking to myself whenever I post.

Noted. And we do become concerned when we find you responding to yourself on the forums. :lol:
Dave....collector, restorer, and operator of the finest doorstops

G3750

Postby G3750 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:46 am

N&W746 wrote:This forum is checked only once a week - OGR is far more dynamic but probably will have a new owner this year and they may start charging to be a member. ....

You know, that's an interesting topic. And since we (collectively) wrote the book on thread drift... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Here's a set of questions for our consideration.

1) Do you think OGR will actually be sold?

2) Is there really a market for a magazine/online forum/digital magazine in a rapidly shrinking demographic?

3) What do you think the OGR empire (paper magazine, digital magazine, online forum, Ameritowne buildings, videos) is worth? Is that with or without the "consulting services" of the Gang of Four?

Have at it.

George
What is a 'Conservative'? "Someone who wants society and policy to recognize objective reality- economic, biological, and historical."

—Katy Faust

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:21 pm

G3750 wrote: 3) [b]What do you think the OGR empire (paper magazine, digital magazine, online forum, Ameritowne buildings, videos) is worth?

Offered them a nickel........... :wink:
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:04 pm

Seems like all of the forum categories are slowing to a crawl - Spring in the air, maybe?
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:18 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:Seems like all of the forum categories are slowing to a crawl - Spring in the air, maybe?

York always seems to be mentioned as a reason for this. :roll: :roll:
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

webenda

Postby webenda » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:51 pm

It is up to you and me to liven things up. Just staring at our monitors does not liven up a forum. Turn up the throttle guys...

----Wayne----

Back when I was growing up, if you didn't start someth'n, there wouldn't be noth'n.
--Merle Haggard

Roy

Postby Roy » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:30 pm

chuck wrote:Now that WBB has "added" a new and poorly done sound system and doubled their prices as well I think I will be looking at the second hand market for anything else I may want.

I haven't bought any new engines for over twenty five years(Hogwart's Express excepted). There's tons of stuff on the secondary market. You can do very well, if you can wait for a bargain.

I'm looking forward to seeing your work on the the rest of your Congressional set. 8)

chuck

Postby chuck » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:52 am

'm looking forward to seeing your work on the the rest of your Congressional set

Might be a while. I have the interior/frame done but reworking the car body is turning out to be a much bigger issue. I may post the pictures of the work so far.

If I can catch a break with the weather I may pull the project box out and resume the body work.
Once I built a railroad, I made it run,
Made it race against time.
Once I built a railroad, now it's done --
Brother, can you spare a dime?

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:55 am

Chuck,
I agree with your evaluation of WBB.
W before B was more like post war stuff as were the prices.
I don't care much for all the extra stuff. I think I would
like the LionChief locos because of the simplicity of
operation, push one way for forward the other for reverse,
operate whistle and bell and most important operate couplers.
The old Williams was as simple as post war Lionel.
Never had good luck with TMCC. Not willing to even try again.
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

Roy

Postby Roy » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:50 pm

Seaboard Air Line Fan wrote:My focus on model railroading is so narrow (Seaboard Air Line and BPRC) that I feel like I'm talking to myself whenever I post.

Combined with running on 2-rail track with 3-rail wheels puts me in such a minority that if a separate sub-Forum was created I would probably be the only one posting in it.

I can identify. The main thing which drew me to 3 rail O ga. was the easy backdrive of the locos. I had HO as a kid, and I hated the self-locking, single-tooth worm drives. I know I'm also in a tiny minority.

healey36

Postby healey36 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:59 pm

rogruth wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:Seems like all of the forum categories are slowing to a crawl - Spring in the air, maybe?

York always seems to be mentioned as a reason for this. :roll: :roll:

I think the York thing is a red herring...only a few folks here seem to make the trip.

I think this place is firmly oriented in modelling and maybe to some extent operating...seems to be pretty much zero about collecting.

That said, there seems to be precious little posting re: projects underway on the three-rail side here (I'm as culpable as anyone). We need to get this place jacked back up.

Healey

Return to “O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading”