This forum

All Facets of O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading
Rufus T. Firefly

Re: This forum

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed May 03, 2017 11:17 am

Seaboard Air Line Fan wrote:Paying taxes could be so easy...EVERYBODY pay 20%, not deductions, just a straight 20%.

It's a nice idea, but there are far too many constituents that rely on those deductions to make ends meet, and getting re-elected is more important than simplification of the tax code.

Of course that would eliminate a bunch of federal jobs and paperwork, but all the accountants who make a living doing peoples taxes would be hurt.

Yes, there's entire industry that exists solely due to the complexity of the tax code, and you left out the lawyers.....

It would give the treasury enough $$$ to fund any project (military or otherwise) they want.

Would it? Median income per household is ~ $50k.....

But it still may not be fair to all.

So where is it written that anything has to be fair.........to anyone at all?

A National sales tax would hit everyone who purchases anything, fair to everyone. If you don't buy anything you don't pay. Of course it may bring back the barter system.

I do a bit of the barter system now trading with my Amish neighbors in PA, :wink:
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

Seaboard Air Line Fan

Postby Seaboard Air Line Fan » Wed May 03, 2017 8:08 pm

Yeah, just as I thought. Even the tax system is too big to fail.
BobD aka Drifty

The Crow Flies At Midnight

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu May 04, 2017 6:37 am

Seaboard Air Line Fan wrote:Yeah, just as I thought. Even the tax system is too big to fail.

No. I think that the people that should and could make real changes lack spines and other anatomy, and are too self-serving to actually perform tasks that require their exercising anything resembling leadership.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

CWBurfle

Postby CWBurfle » Thu May 04, 2017 6:58 am

If there was a national 20 percent sales tax, would manufacturers have to pay it on their raw materials?

I don't think we'll ever see it, because the ruling class wouldn't be able to exempt themselves.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu May 04, 2017 7:13 am

CWBurfle wrote:If there was a national 20 percent sales tax, would manufacturers have to pay it on their raw materials?

I don't think we'll ever see it, because the ruling class wouldn't be able to exempt themselves.

See my post immediately above - the spinelessness is directly tied to being on a leash held by that ruling class.

Seaboard Air Line Fan

Postby Seaboard Air Line Fan » Thu May 04, 2017 8:16 am

Would it? Median income per household is ~ $50k.....

I wonder if that includes retirees and part-time employees? I suspect part-time would be, don't know about retirees.
BobD aka Drifty

The Crow Flies At Midnight

Return to “O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading”