The Columbia, SC train show today was alright, at least ...

All Facets of O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading
rogruth

Re: The Columbia, SC train show today was alright, at least ...

Postby rogruth » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:58 am

jlong wrote:I attended a club swap meet last Saturday. I was looking at a Minitrix steamer but for his asking price it had to be a good runner. He pointed at a test track across the hall and told me I had to buy it before I tested it. That he would give me my money back if it didn't run. Good grief. These are the same jagoffs that piss and moan we don't buy anything.

John,
Is this because he doesn't trust prospective buyers to return with the merchandise or the money?
He couldn't go with you? No one would watch his stuff for a few minutes?
What is the usual practice?
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:10 am

rogruth wrote:What is the usual practice?

The usual practice is that you let the buyer go test it and you either trust him or go with him prior to any money changing hands.

I guess there are more untrustworthy folks attending meets now that in the past and/or the seller was too anchored to his table to walk over with the potential buyer, or the seller is just a total smeghead.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:14 am

Thanks, Rufus.
I would think if someone wanted to test run a piece and it worked OK they would buy it.
roger

I support thread drift.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:30 am

rogruth wrote:Thanks, Rufus.
I would think if someone wanted to test run a piece and it worked OK they would buy it.

And if the seller really wanted to sell the item, he would be agreeable to test running it.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:45 am

Roy wrote:
MurphOnMillerAve wrote:Since then, I have sold everything I ever made. My inventory cannot seem to get replenished, and the layout is DONE. Yup. Yup. :mrgreen:

I'm surprised God hasn't taken you, yet. Maybe, you have some major diseases to cure, still? :twisted: ...

No, He hasn't taken me yet, but it seemed he was seriously considering it during 2015 when I had collapsed during a hiking sojourn Upstate NY and required several subsequent surgeries , including a laparoscopic colocystectomy . I haven't cured any diseases as yet, but I have been cured of some.
I'm thankful every day.
P.S. And taking a booth twice a year @York,PA is finished for me, permanently.
Murph

chuck

Postby chuck » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:37 am

At a well run show the organizers would act as the "marshal" and take the item from the seller and go with the potential buyer over to the test track. The item would be tested and the marshal and buyer would go back to the seller and either finish "negotiations" or turn the item back over to the seller.

Holding the potential buyers drivers license is another way to deal with this (no way would I turn over a credit card).

I think I've seen one or two sellers with a small (like 10' long) test rack or a roller bearing set up where you could test the item right at their "booth".

Either price it and sell it "as is" or expect someone to want to make sure it works before they turn over significant amounts of cash.
Once I built a railroad, I made it run,
Made it race against time.
Once I built a railroad, now it's done --
Brother, can you spare a dime?

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:15 am

The testing seems a very, very good idea. I say that because my wife bought me a scale Williams "Challenger," at a show, and upon getting it home and running it on the layout, I discovered its front truck was very fond of detailing on curves , even 0-72s. I hadn't thought of asking for a test-run before accepting the purchase, but that would likely have been on a straight track anyolways, huh. :? (Who thinks of checking a front truck?!) :x :oops:
Last edited by MurphOnMillerAve on Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

G3750

Postby G3750 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:17 am

jlong wrote:I attended a club swap meet last Saturday. I was looking at a Minitrix steamer but for his asking price it had to be a good runner. He pointed at a test track across the hall and told me I had to buy it before I tested it. That he would give me my money back if it didn't run. Good grief. These are the same jagoffs that piss and moan we don't buy anything.

WUT? Buy BEFORE testing? :evil:

What an @ss hole. Can't say I've encountered any BS like that.

George
What is a 'Conservative'? "Someone who wants society and policy to recognize objective reality- economic, biological, and historical."

—Katy Faust

G3750

Postby G3750 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:20 am

Murph, glad you still have stuff to do. :wink:

OK, so no booth at York. But are you still going?

George
What is a 'Conservative'? "Someone who wants society and policy to recognize objective reality- economic, biological, and historical."

—Katy Faust

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:21 am

G3750 wrote:Murph, glad you still have stuff to do. :wink:
OK, so no booth at York. But are you still going?
George

Thanks, George.
Not this April.
My days are full. Between crafting Insta-Ramas for return-clients and customers, family adventures, and teaching twice a week at our parish academy, and helping the clergy with projects, I am busy as I need to be. Soon as the weather is nicer, I'll be starting most days with a 2-3 mi brisk walk. :)

jlong

Postby jlong » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:10 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:

The usual practice is that you let the buyer go test it and you either trust him or go with him prior to any money changing hands.

I guess there are more untrustworthy folks attending meets now that in the past and/or the seller was too anchored to his table to walk over with the potential buyer, or the seller is just a total smeghead.

Yes. This has always been the usual practice. The amazing part is he had a buddy with a table right next to him. Perfectly capable of manning his table if we both strolled over to the test track. The thing with Minitrix is, if you've got a dead one on your hands, you've got a project that is more trouble than it's worth.
John Long

One nation under Josh with ozone an magnetraction for all

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:38 pm

Thanks John and Rufus.
That is what I thought it should be.
roger

I support thread drift.

Roy

Postby Roy » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:11 pm

I don't think our local clubs have anything smaller than S gauge, on their test tracks.
Torturers, White Racists, Gay Bashers, Rich Psychopaths.

healey36

Postby healey36 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:51 am

jlong wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:

Yes. This has always been the usual practice. The amazing part is he had a buddy with a table right next to him. Perfectly capable of manning his table if we both strolled over to the test track. The thing with Minitrix is, if you've got a dead one on your hands, you've got a project that is more trouble than it's worth.

Hmph...I've got a dead Trix K-4 around here somewhere.

CWBurfle

Postby CWBurfle » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:09 am

At a well run show the organizers would act as the "marshal" and take the item from the seller and go with the potential buyer over to the test track. The item would be tested and the marshal and buyer would go back to the seller and either finish "negotiations" or turn the item back over to the seller.

I don't think I've ever been to a train show with personnel to perform this function.

When I have a table, I encourage people to take motorized items over to the test track to try them out. I don't require any sort of deposit or something to hold onto. So far, I have not been burnt.
The only time I've had to go over to the track was when the person manning the track didn't know what he was doing and couldn't make the train go.

Return to “O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading”