The Columbia, SC train show today was alright, at least ...

All Facets of O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading
J. S. Bach

The Columbia, SC train show today was alright, at least ...

Postby J. S. Bach » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:29 pm

I was able to get a few two-rail cars for cheap. This picture was taken just before the show opened:
There were decent crowds later on. This is the last show at the armory, the next ones will be at the Jamil Shrine Temple.
Last edited by J. S. Bach on Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rogruth

Re: The Columbia, SC train show today was alright, at least ...

Postby rogruth » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:23 pm

Dave,
Appears that there were a decent number of 3 rail dealers by all of the Lionel boxes.
I'm not likely to attend shows anymore. I see too much that I would like to have.
Since I don't have any place to put anything new so no need to go. :( :(
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

J. S. Bach

Postby J. S. Bach » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:04 pm

There was a fair amount of Marx, Flyer (and other S lines), and standard gauge; not to mention a pile of HO (some very tempting!).

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:45 pm

Dave,
You do know that no matter what I said I would like to be there. :(
roger

I support thread drift.

Roy

Postby Roy » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:42 pm

rogruth wrote:Dave,

If you want to go, Roger - you should. It would be the best thing for you.
Torturers, White Racists, Gay Bashers, Rich Psychopaths.

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:35 am

Roy,
This is a matter of not being able to drive three hours,one way, spend some time at the show and drive back.
My problems are arthritis (I hurt a lot!) and seeing. My only friend that was willing to make that trip died last
year so he must have been in worse shape than me. There is one show a year in our area, Savannah,GA, and
most of the 3 R modelers are satisfied with that. In the past I attended shows in Savannah, Albany and Atlanta,
GA, Jacksonville, FL, Charleston,SC and when visiting in the area Lexington, KY and Huntington,WV. These
were not on a regular basis except for Savannah.
I am one of those that needs to start deciding what to do with my small gathering of stuff because no one in
my family is interested in my stuff except for that small fortune they think can be had from "old Lionel" trains.
LOL.
roger

I support thread drift.

Roy

Postby Roy » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:14 pm

Roger, if I was one of your kids, I'd be more interested in keeping you healthy and happy, and doing what you love - rather than worrying about the market value of your stuff. My grandparents both lived to be ninety nine, and I helped them both with just that. I took my grandfather to his Exchange Club meetings, and grandma to her beauty appointments - among other things. Of course, my mom helped, too.

I realize everyone's situation is different. I understand that you live in a toy train desert. Get on ebay!

Tom Dempsey

Postby Tom Dempsey » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:05 pm

I agree Roger, don't make the same mistake so many do of trying to control things from beyond the grave. They're your trains, for your enjoyment, have fun with them and don't worry about anything after you can't play with them anymore.

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:40 pm

Oh, I'm not going to worry. I'm going to sell most of what I have, that's not a lot, and spend the money, which wont be a lot, or give it to my wife.
Then I am going to smile at all. The only things I have that I paid over $300.00 for are two Z4000 transformers.
roger

I support thread drift.

G3750

Postby G3750 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:45 pm

Roy wrote:
rogruth wrote:Dave,

If you want to go, Roger - you should. It would be the best thing for you.

Agreed!!!
What is a 'Conservative'? "Someone who wants society and policy to recognize objective reality- economic, biological, and historical."

—Katy Faust

G3750

Postby G3750 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:46 pm

Roy wrote:Roger, if I was one of your kids, I'd be more interested in keeping you healthy and happy, and doing what you love - rather than worrying about the market value of your stuff. My grandparents both lived to be ninety nine, and I helped them both with just that. I took my grandfather to his Exchange Club meetings, and grandma to her beauty appointments - among other things. Of course, my mom helped, too.

I realize everyone's situation is different. I understand that you live in a toy train desert. Get on ebay!

Agreed!!! x1000
What is a 'Conservative'? "Someone who wants society and policy to recognize objective reality- economic, biological, and historical."

—Katy Faust

Jim K

Postby Jim K » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:59 pm

Howdy,

Yesterday I went to the first annual train show in Atlanta Indiana. This is a small town about 15 miles north of Indianapolis. What a nice time. We are talking small here but nice folks all around. There is a Mr. Muffins Trains store in town that is just about all Lionel and MTH. You got a coupon at the show that gave you a 5% reduction in the store. I saw that as a nice gesture and also a way to gauge attendance. I have to admit I am getting a little like Roger and avoiding some shows since I don't really need more "stuff". I sort of feel guilty just looking but not hauling a bag with goodies out the door. Also, to be honest, the best way for me to control the urge to purchase is to not get into the purchasing zone. A coward's way out I know.......... sob. 8)

Jim K

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:34 pm

Everybody,
I appreciate your comments and I hope you understand where I am in this and I hope you never have my problems.
As I said earlier, I have no major or life threatening problems at this time. Just a bunch of small problems that
turn some things that we never thought about before into problems that are just enough to be discouraging.
roger

I support thread drift.

Roy

Postby Roy » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:38 pm

rogruth wrote:I'm going to sell most of what I have, that's not a lot, and spend the money, which wont be a lot, or give it to my wife.
Then I am going to smile at all. The only things I have that I paid over $300.00 for are two Z4000 transformers.

Now, I don't understand. You miss going to train meets(and, presumably, buying some things), but then you talk about selling it all. What would you buy with the money - crystal meth?

Someone once told me that the best revenge is living well. So, start treating yourself right, buy yourself a nice new engine, and make the bastards pay. 8)

Roy

Postby Roy » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:50 pm

Jim K wrote:I have to admit I am...avoiding some shows since I don't really need more "stuff". I sort of feel guilty just looking but not hauling a bag with goodies out the door.

The way I think of it, it's their fault I walk away empty handed, since they didn't bring what I want, at a price I'd jump at. :twisted: Oh well - just more money for my model building projects. 8)

Return to “O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading”