A second look at MTH

All Facets of O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading
N&W746

Re: A second look at MTH

Postby N&W746 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:06 pm

Neil, MTH offers more variety in both diesels and steam than Lionel , some that will probably never be produced in O gauge by anybody else( examples - PRR H-3 and Baldwin road switcher and a scale EP5 and NYC 4-4-0 999 and GN S-2 4-8-4 and the original CNJ 300 hp box switcher and a real GP20 model and a FM C-liner) to name a few.

webenda

Postby webenda » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:29 pm

Experiment with black paint can.
Black Paint.jpg
Black Paint.jpg (75.06 KiB) Viewed 6219 times

Even my eyes had a hard time seeing the spray color but it was not white, more gray. The distance between particles allows the eye to see right through the cloud. We need something a lot more dense for toy train smoke.

No need to paint your train room black if you use pigment-based black smoke.
Your new train room color.jpg
Your new train room color.jpg (62.46 KiB) Viewed 6219 times

I do not consider this experiment a failure, the method just needs some fine tuning. :roll:
----Wayne----

Back when I was growing up, if you didn't start someth'n, there wouldn't be noth'n.
--Merle Haggard

chuck

Postby chuck » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:49 pm

If you really want black "smoke" and don't care about the issues associated with inhaling the particulate you can dispense with the heating element and just feed a blower with spent laser printer toner. This is basically lamp black with a few other ingredients to keep it from clumping together and to allow it to "fuse" to paper when heat and pressure is applied.

You can't vacuum this up with a standard vacuum cleaner unless it's got a HEPPA filter or is specifically designed to clean up copiers (they do make these). If you use a regular vacuum cleaner all you will do is spread the toner dust throughout the house and deeply into your lungs. Not sure at what point the powder might become an explosive hazzard.
Once I built a railroad, I made it run,
Made it race against time.
Once I built a railroad, now it's done --
Brother, can you spare a dime?

Neil

Postby Neil » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:36 pm

As a physician with some knowledge of lung physiology, and also familiar with the effects of airborne particulates and micro-particulates on cardiovascular function and death rates, I would add that processes that fill the air with a "black substance" will result in the inventor's strong candidacy for the annual Darwin Awards. That is, natural selection for early demise of those who are lacking in knowledge, judgment or both :). No insult intended, really. There is a voluminous medical literature on the subject, perhaps unfamiliar to folks not interested in pulmonary biology and/or clinical medicine.
Neil

Neil

Postby Neil » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:38 pm

"MTH offers more variety in both diesels and steam than Lionel"

Indisputable, but I already have everything I could conceivably need from Lionel in the way of locomotives. Your mileage no doubt varies.
I'm not a model railroader but a three rail train addict :).
Neil

webenda

Postby webenda » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:20 pm

chuck wrote:If you really want black "smoke" and don't care about the issues associated with inhaling the particulate you can dispense with the heating element and just feed a blower with spent laser printer toner.

Neil wrote:I would add that processes that fill the air with a "black substance" will result in the inventor's strong candidacy for the annual Darwin Awards.

Thank you for your concern guys. Just the thought of inhaling mineral oil mist is one of the reasons...
webenda wrote:I run all my locomotives with the smoke unit switch off (or disconnected in old engines.)

If I modify one of my smoke units à la manière de Joe Pinto, my experiments will be conducted outdoors.
----Wayne----

Back when I was growing up, if you didn't start someth'n, there wouldn't be noth'n.
--Merle Haggard

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:29 pm

Neil wrote:"MTH offers more variety in both diesels and steam than Lionel"

Indisputable, but I already have everything I could conceivably need from Lionel in the way of locomotives. Your mileage no doubt varies.
I'm not a model railroader but a three rail train addict :).

General Misunderstanding makes more models than Ford, yet I don't have ANY GM garbage in my driveway.
Dave....collector, restorer, and operator of the finest doorstops

jlong

Postby jlong » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:30 pm

gregj410 wrote:You'll forget all about the smoke unit when you get the 'engine not found' in the remote :lol:

MTH smoke oil residue on the track causes that.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
John Long

One nation under Josh with ozone an magnetraction for all

G3750

Postby G3750 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:37 am

I was curious, so I took a look at locomotives and rolling stock rosters and did some calculations.

For Locomotives:
  • Williams 40%
  • Lionel 50%
  • Marx 10%

For all rolling stock:
  • MTH 33.10%
  • K-Line 16.90%
  • Atlas 15.49%
  • Pecos River 12.68%
  • Weaver 10.56%
  • Lionel 8.45%
  • All-Nation 1.41%
  • Williams 1.41%

I was a little surprised at the rolling stock percentages. But given MTH's production of steel-related cars, particularly in the late 1990's and early 2000's, I guess I shouldn't be.

George
What is a 'Conservative'? "Someone who wants society and policy to recognize objective reality- economic, biological, and historical."

—Katy Faust

Robert Bubeck

Postby Robert Bubeck » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:25 pm

My roster of M.T.H. locos is not extensive, however I do own and run a CNJ box cab and a new 44 tonner (LIRR), both of which operate very well (superbly, actually) in conventional mode. I have no intention of ever (never, ever!) acquiring DCS. One can actuate the electrocouplers in conventional mode ... a very nice feature. The sounds are quite acceptable. They are both well crafted in die cast with superior paint jobs. Neither has a smoke feature, so that point is moot for me. Neither piece was cheap to buy but they have proven to be excellent, robust purchases. And, no one is likely to offer an IR-GE-ALCo box cab like the one in the B&O RR Museum again in O scale/gauge any time soon.

I own a bit of M.T.H. rolling stock ... cabeese, in particular. The joke once was that you bought a Lionel engine and then purchased the 'matching' caboose/cabin car from Mike. Lionel eventually did catch on.

Valid questions of trade dress aside, one has to admit that Mike has faithfully carried the torch for classic prewar tinplate when Lionel has often been remiss in this department. Many of us own and enjoy repro sets of Lionel Classics, Tinplate Traditions and LCT trains that are of breath-taking expense in their original Irvington form.

I have a number of O gauge friends here in central Michigan who are pretty loyal to M.T.H. I believe that this is due to a combination of offered road names, a liking of DCS (? -- they have struggled a bit, but have gotten it working pretty well), better operation of command engines in conventional mode, and a perception of historical arrogance on the part of Lionel. There are groups to which I am the only one to bring a Lionel engine along for running sessions (during which they are honestly reminded of the superior sounds of almost any Lionel steam engine to an M.T.H.).

So, more choices are better than fewer.

Bob

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:32 pm

Bob,
I really appreciate your comments concerning MTH.
I have had no experience with MTH locos.
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

Roy

Postby Roy » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:36 pm

Robert Bubeck wrote:...more choices are better than fewer.

Agreed. I miss K-Line. But, why are both WBB and MTH making the fugly 44 tonners?

Also, MTH's European steamers are really beautiful.
Torturers, White Racists, Gay Bashers, Rich Psychopaths.

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:44 pm

Roy,
Would you explain what you mean by "MTH's European steamers are really beautiful"?
In what way? Were European steamers better looking than American?
Unconfuse me, please.
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

N&W746

Postby N&W746 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:09 pm

Whether you use the smoke feature or not current MTH trains do have advantages. As Robert has alluded to they have some uncommon(not usually modeled on O gauge) locomotives both diesel and steam and European prototypes as well. Running a Proto 3 loco in conventional mode reminds me of a Lionel TMCC loco in conventional mode. Except the MTH loco has very good cruise control and you can activate the remote coupler with bell/whistle buttons. They are a viable alternative to Lionel at a cheaper price. Atlas does not look like its going to be a major player anymore - might go the way of Weaver.

Robert Bubeck

Postby Robert Bubeck » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:42 pm

Roy wrote:
Robert Bubeck wrote:...more choices are better than fewer.

Agreed. I miss K-Line. But, why are both WBB and MTH making the fugly 44 tonners?

Also, MTH's European steamers are really beautiful.

As to the fugly 44 tonners, you are asking the wrong guy. I purchased one. :) I often find li'l critters likable. There is a demand for affordable scale-sized 44 tonners and both Bachmann and M.T.H. satisfied an itch that originated with the over-sized Lionel postwar version for which many have fond memories. In this instance, M.T.H. provided the upmarket feature-filled die cast option. Die cast diesels appeal to the train collector in me.

Bob

Return to “O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading”