Sneak Peak: Preliminary track plan for PRR Panhandle 2.0

All Facets of O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading
G3750

Re: Sneak Peak: Preliminary track plan for PRR Panhandle 2.0

Postby G3750 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:10 pm

chuck wrote:Nice design. I would echo the concerns about the height. Have you looked into some kind of creeper for access under the layout? Automotive ones are too low but something like that with a back rest might get the height down to 46"?

Any thoughts to putting in a double crossover or back to back crossovers in the area between the "big bridge" and the steel mill? This would allow for a reversing loop to turn trains around? Is that a hidden wye in the steel mill? I understand you have set up your signals for counterclockwise operation.

Green area. Can you cut "windows" into that wall so visitors can get a look at the layout from a different perspective?

Thank you Chuck!

I plan to use a wheeled stool or seat for access to the area under the layout. The current Panhandle height ranges from 42" in Steubenville to 39" in Weirton. A uniform height of 46" might be right. As I said, that part is not carved in stone yet.

The current layout had a double cross-over in the design prior to acquiring the bridge (2014); it was actually on the bridge. I took it out and sold it. There certainly is room for one now in 2.0, but I hadn't thought about it much. No, there is no wye in the steel mill.

The green area is an artificial item created by RR-Track when it sizes the layout to make it fit on a page. About 3' from the bottom edge of the layout there is a wall. I cropped the JPEG to roughly show the size of the train room. I can't put windows into the wall as there are things on the other side (my workshop, shelves, furnace, water heater, shelves, workspaces, etc.).

Here's a slightly better annotated version of the layout diagram. As for moving traffic only counter clock-wise, I will explain that thinking as it relates to the yards and to operations.
PRR Panhandle 2.0 v012-a.jpg
PRR Panhandle 2.0 v012-a.jpg (471.55 KiB) Viewed 5290 times

Coal Mine Spur:
  • This is a trailing-point 2-track yard with a coal tipple. It's on the left (Steubenville) side of the layout.
  • The B6sb shifter will move empty hoppers in and take full hoppers to the steel mill.

Weirton Junction / Standard Slag:
  • This is a trailing-point 5-track yard located slightly right of center.
  • Top-most spur is Standard Slag. This is a dumping point for slag cars.
  • Remaining tracks handle freight cars and empty slag cars waiting to return to Weirton Steel.
  • Bottom-most spur (curved) is a caboose track.
  • There is an engine pocket on the other side of the mainline, as was in the prototype. A PRR N1s or N2s helper might end up there. Or not. I'm not really sure I want to incorporate grades on this layout. I had a ton of problems with them in the current layout.

Staging:
  • This is a double-ended staging yard that can hold 4 trains. It's located at the extreme right end of the layout. At present I don't anticipate much cutting and assembling trains here.
  • I may consider adding an engine pocket for a shifter.

Weirton Steel Yard:
  • This is the only facing-point yard on the layout. That's because it lends itself well to all the push / pull intra-mill operations. A single switch engine (Alco S-2) can move small cuts of cars among all 4 mills with this set-up.
  • For slag trains (and all loaded freight trains leaving with steel products), the switcher will grab a cabin car and tack it onto a cut of slag cars.
  • It will then pull the cars out on the mainline and then push them onto the siding (labeled "R"). I have to make this siding longer.
  • The switcher will then decouple, back onto the main, run forward, and then back onto the siding and couple to the cars.
  • The switcher will then reverse up the main to Standard Slag, dump the cars, pick up empties, and return to Weirton Steel, reversing the steps described in the first 3 bullets.
  • This eliminates the need for a double cross-over.

I think this layout allows 2 people to run mainline trains and 3-4 people to perform switching operations.

George
Last edited by G3750 on Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What is a 'Conservative'? "Someone who wants society and policy to recognize objective reality- economic, biological, and historical."

—Katy Faust

G3750

Postby G3750 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:13 pm

jlong wrote:Another concept to consider is the ceiling layout concept which is gaining popularity in the UK. You don't have to worry about dust settling on the track and fouling DCS signals. The center rail is replaced with a flat magnetic strip for a gravity system. The acceleration rate of the magnets is 12m/sec sq. When reversed to the earth's gravitational pull, your trains will see a gravitational pull of 2.2m/sec sq. You will see a drastic increase in pulling power of your engines, thus eliminating the need for traction tires which also foul DCS signals.

:shock:

I don't know what to say.

George
What is a 'Conservative'? "Someone who wants society and policy to recognize objective reality- economic, biological, and historical."

—Katy Faust

Neil

Postby Neil » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:14 pm

Wow, way out of my league in terms of expertise. Looks wonderful.

As I get older, bending over and crouching/stretching become more of a challenge, so I'd echo the advice to minimize those types of maneuvers if you plan to get maximal pleasure out of this laout as you get into your late 60s, 70s and beyond.
Neil

gnnpnut

Postby gnnpnut » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:22 pm

Removed duplicate post.
Last edited by gnnpnut on Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

jlong

Postby jlong » Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:32 pm

I'm with Jerry on a shelf layout design. Something to really consider because of the convenience they offer in operation and maintenance. They take the virtues of command control to its fullest. You can walk around with your controller in one hand and a beer in the other watching your train every inch of travel up close and personal. In this respect, I am with you 100% on 50" height. It will give you the ultimate trackside visual effect.
John Long

One nation under Josh with ozone an magnetraction for all

chuck

Postby chuck » Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:09 pm

Aha, the three feet at the bottom explains a lot. I was wondering how you would get enough people in the walkin area to tax they AC. :D

Love folded dog bone layouts. This one does an excellent job of disguising it.

While cross overs and reverse loops can add operating options they do open you up to possible head on collisions!
Once I built a railroad, I made it run,
Made it race against time.
Once I built a railroad, now it's done --
Brother, can you spare a dime?

gnnpnut

Postby gnnpnut » Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:14 pm

[quote="jlong"]I'm with Jerry on a shelf layout design. Something to really consider because of the convenience they offer in operation and maintenance. They take the virtues of command control to its fullest. You can walk around with your controller in one hand and a beer in the other watching your train every inch of travel up close and personal. In this respect, I am with you 100% on 50" height. It will give you the ultimate trackside visual effect.[/quote]

I'll second the 50" layout height if only doing single level. I went a bit nuts on the extension, did three levels interconnected with a helix, track at 66", 45", and 24". The yard will be on the top level, and is the reason I went 30" wide on one side of the support wall.

Here is a shot showing the overall view.

[attachment=0]IMG_3090.JPG[/attachment]

Regards,
Jerry
Attachments
IMG_3090.JPG
IMG_3090.JPG (1.53 MiB) Viewed 5276 times

gnnpnut

Postby gnnpnut » Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:22 pm

[quote="gnnpnut"]George:

Since this is three rail forum, I'll lead of with a link to he Hi-rail Modular Railroad Club in Griffin, IN. They have a model of the Inland Steel plant in East Chicago IN (I think this is now owned by Arcelor Mittal). It s about 45 ft. long, and no more than 3 ft. wide.

[url]http://www.hirailmodulartrainclub.com/[/url]

Here are two examples I shot of the huge HO Free-Mo layout at the NMRA 2010 Milwaukee National Convention. I'm standing in the aisle, which on your plan, would be where your wall is. They had two peninsulas that jutted out into the inside of the layout area. Your area will obviously be a bit bigger. :mrgreen:

[attachment=0]Refinery resized.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=4]Refinery resized 2.jpg[/attachment]

Here is another example of a peninsula going out into the middle of the room. Your layout would be around most of the basement periphery, instead of just one shelf against the wall, but you get the idea.

[attachment=2]Pike City jp.jpg[/attachment]

The plan below is the middle level on my Spokane Southern. It is a three deck, shelf style railroad in this part of the basement. My version of Reynolds Aluminum's McCook works, which is actually located in the town of Bohemia, WA :mrgreen: is on the far left bottom corner. The yard to service the facility is on a 30" wide shelf. On the other side of the partition is a 24" wide shelf. I'm still designing an aluminum reduction facility (similar to Kaiser's now closed Mead works near Spokane WA). Obviously, my pensula sits along a wall with only one side exposed, but just want to demonstrate the idea.

[attachment=1]SpokaneSouthernMiddleLevel 09-Jan-15.jpg resized.jpg[/attachment]

Last photo is of my layout, location is Bessemer, ID. I wanted to have a steel mill that was similar concept to the old USS Geneva Works near Provo, UT (now demolished). I chose not to model the steel mill proper, but I model the carloadings in and out. One train per day of iron ore (40 cars), two local jobs per day to pick up loads of steel, and drop off empties. Mostly mill gons. This was shot on a recent operating session. One train heading westbound, the ore train taking the siding eastbound. He will drop his loads, pick up the empties, and head back to the GN in Spokane (HillYard).

[img]http://i578.photobucket.com/albums/ss221/GNNPNUT/bessemer%20resized.jpg[/img]

I still have a lot of painting and detailing to do in this scene.

Notice the huge area that I have where the locomotive engineer for X307A East is standing. There is about eight feet of real estate between the edge of the 24" shelf, and the shelf across the divide. I could model the steel mill internal operations in that area. But, I've got enough to do now, and I'd just like to finish what I have. My buddy Al is a steel mill modeler in HO, and I'm helping him build his layout, and he is helping me build mine. :mrgreen:

Jerry[attachment=0]bessemer resized.jpg[/attachment]

If you want to take your RR-Track plan, and expand the canvas to include the whole basement, and show locations of mechanicals, bathroom etc. I could spend a few minutes rearranging components (a cut and paste exercise) to demonstrate on your plan.

Regards,

Edited to insert photos, now that I see there is an "Attachment" utility.
Attachments
bessemer resized.jpg
bessemer resized.jpg (259.5 KiB) Viewed 5274 times
SpokaneSouthernMiddleLevel 09-Jan-15.jpg resized.jpg
SpokaneSouthernMiddleLevel 09-Jan-15.jpg resized.jpg (195.69 KiB) Viewed 5274 times
Pike City jp.jpg
Pike City jp.jpg (165.84 KiB) Viewed 5274 times
Refinery resized 2.jpg
Refinery resized 2.jpg (286.52 KiB) Viewed 5274 times
Refinery resized.jpg
Refinery resized.jpg (286.43 KiB) Viewed 5274 times

gnnpnut

Postby gnnpnut » Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:26 pm

Shamelessly stolen from a thread on NK for layout design. Once in a while, even a blind squirrel finds a nut. :mrgreen:

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Having built a few layouts.. to the one I now have in my own barn.. I would consider these valuable lessons.

-No duck unders.. Having those suck. Especially for those with back, leg, hip issues.. if you feel you need a duck under.. then built the walkway area with a lift out bridge or something similar. because ducking under sucks!

-reach.. only make the benchwork as far as you can reach.. if it's outta reach, that is where your issues will be. If you can get to the tables from both sides, then your reach to center from each side is your width.

-height.. I would have made mine Chest height.. It isn't.. and I contemplate raising the layout every day.

-electrical... do that before scenery.. at least the bus wires.. get them run under the layout.

-height of scenery works better to the eye then depth of scenery..

-make all benchwork modular. So if you don't like something or want a change, taking out the old and inserting a new piece is easier... Plus you can work on the new piece while the old one is still in place and you can still run trains.

-For O-Scale, use 3/4" plywood sub road bed.. For the areas where sometimes where risers get a little wide, the plywood being a little thicker, won't sag. because 1/2" will. Don't use flake board.. that stuff sucks for model RR. If you get flake board and use water against it for scenery, the flake board seems to expand and never contract.

-Wide isles.. A must, you can do it with the room you have.. 30x50.. Trust me, it is worth the effort to have these.. I have two spots where the isles gets close, but they ope right up to wide ares.. I also didn't make those areas points of interests.. make your points of interests where the isles are wide. so people can gather easier without hitting benchwork..

-If your thinking of having a turn table.. One where the tracks are coming out all around it, that becomes an area of interest and people gather around it.. I did mine where the mainline went behind the house and people can see into the roundhouse.. and also get right up to the table to see the loco's turn.. This turntable idea came to me this past spring and I changed the whole yard and turn table area into another part of the layout in another area of the room to accommodate this. It works out great now..

-Also, with your yard, well, before i forget, have a staging yard.. one hidden under mountains or there of.. then your yard itself won't be cramped with cars as mine was till I did this.. (I am also ridding cars of later dates because my model RR is set around 1977. So this purge is setting up nicely as I now have room for the cars that fit the timeline.) Also, keep switches within easy arm length.. repair is easer etc.. I did redesign the yard as stated above, and am going to again because of the railcar purge etc.. Plus, the yard is smaller and more manageable. well, the whole layout is..

Also, keep this in mind when you design.. 1) model the places as scenes you love as a kid, adult.. just don't put track down for the sake of putting track down.. you will get bored with it. I learned this on the first layout here in the barn.. I thought I had all the room and when the layout was up.. it sucked.. so a friend came over and told me it sucked and gave me this advice.. number 1 again, model scene you love, figure out the top five scenes you love and design them into the layout, then the next five and so one. you find that the layout fills out nicely and you will want to work on it all the time.. Mine is (3) years old now and it is awesome to me! I;m not biased or anything! HA! But I can't wait to work on it when i have the time.. Or add to it or whatever.. I am always designing for the better.. I love running it, showing it, etc.. with these changes too, I have to write into this mag to show my updates as the model RR was published in O-Gauge at about two year ago..

Anyhow, designing and building is fun! Good luck! I hope this points help?

Dan

dan@m4cg.com if you need or have any other questions..

jlong

Postby jlong » Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:18 pm

My last layout was an open center O72 island layout in the middle of the basement. You had to duck under it to get to the control panel. It was 40 inches high but I would have liked taller for visual effect. I liked the effect of being surrounded by it as I ran my train. However ducking under was a bitch. There was no box stock plug and play command control for O gauge when I built it so at the time, it was ideal when standing in one spot. I am currently constructing benchwork for an american Flyer layout in the center of the basement and it will be surrounded by an O gauge shelf layout around the walls. A height that is close to 50" is a must but I will experiment with the first section to dial in a number. Could land at 46" or 52". I dunno. Easy to adjust with a diagonal wall anchor system. It will be more than 40" for sure. There will be a hinged drawbridge at the entry door. Not a lot I can do to avoid that. Not enough room for O72 reverse loops with the center Flyer island.

I totally agree on focusing on special scenes. Cramming as much track and buildings into a space as much as one can possibly can is the biggest mistake one can make. Both visually and operationally. You really limit yourself
John Long

One nation under Josh with ozone an magnetraction for all

G3750

Postby G3750 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:44 pm

gnnpnut wrote:George:

Since this is three rail forum, I'll lead of with a link to he Hi-rail Modular Railroad Club in Griffin, IN. They have a model of the Inland Steel plant in East Chicago IN (I think this is now owned by Arcelor Mittal). It s about 45 ft. long, and no more than 3 ft. wide.

http://www.hirailmodulartrainclub.com/

Here are two examples I shot of the huge HO Free-Mo layout at the NMRA 2010 Milwaukee National Convention. I'm standing in the aisle, which on your plan, would be where your wall is. They had two peninsulas that jutted out into the inside of the layout area. Your area will obviously be a bit bigger. :mrgreen:

Here is another example of a peninsula going out into the middle of the room. Your layout would be around most of the basement periphery, instead of just one shelf against the wall, but you get the idea.

The plan below is the middle level on my Spokane Southern. It is a three deck, shelf style railroad in this part of the basement. My version of Reynolds Aluminum's McCook works, which is actually located in the town of Bohemia, WA :mrgreen: is on the far left bottom corner. The yard to service the facility is on a 30" wide shelf. On the other side of the partition is a 24" wide shelf. I'm still designing an aluminum reduction facility (similar to Kaiser's now closed Mead works near Spokane WA). Obviously, my pensula sits along a wall with only one side exposed, but just want to demonstrate the idea.

Last photo is of my layout, location is Bessemer, ID. I wanted to have a steel mill that was similar concept to the old USS Geneva Works near Provo, UT (now demolished). I chose not to model the steel mill proper, but I model the carloadings in and out. One train per day of iron ore (40 cars), two local jobs per day to pick up loads of steel, and drop off empties. Mostly mill gons. This was shot on a recent operating session. One train heading westbound, the ore train taking the siding eastbound. He will drop his loads, pick up the empties, and head back to the GN in Spokane (HillYard).

I still have a lot of painting and detailing to do in this scene.

Notice the huge area that I have where the locomotive engineer for X307A East is standing. There is about eight feet of real estate between the edge of the 24" shelf, and the shelf across the divide. I could model the steel mill internal operations in that area. But, I've got enough to do now, and I'd just like to finish what I have. My buddy Al is a steel mill modeler in HO, and I'm helping him build his layout, and he is helping me build mine. :mrgreen:

If you want to take your RR-Track plan, and expand the canvas to include the whole basement, and show locations of mechanicals, bathroom etc. I could spend a few minutes rearranging components (a cut and paste exercise) to demonstrate on your plan.

Regards,
Jerry

PS, not sure why my photobucket links are not showing up. Here is the link to my photobucket page.

http://s578.photobucket.com/user/GNNPNU ... t=3&page=1

Jerry,

Very impressive. Thank you for the tour. Those are amazing layouts. And that helix! Holy smokes!

That steel mill looks great.

I will try to put together a larger diagram of the basement, but don't hold your breath. It's tricky in RR-Track.

Thanks again.

George

—Katy Faust

G3750

Postby G3750 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:50 pm

jlong wrote:.

I totally agree on focusing on special scenes. Cramming as much track and buildings into a space as much as one can possibly can is the biggest mistake one can make. Both visually and operationally. You really limit yourself

Yes, we are absolutely focused on particular scenes from the Steubenville and Weirton areas. And this layout gives me the luxury of separating the scenes with stretches of scenery.

George

—Katy Faust

G3750

Postby G3750 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:53 pm

chuck wrote:Aha, the three feet at the bottom explains a lot. I was wondering how you would get enough people in the walkin area to tax they AC. :D

Love folded dog bone layouts. This one does an excellent job of disguising it.

While cross overs and reverse loops can add operating options they do open you up to possible head on collisions!

Thanks Chuck. This design, as well as the current Panhandle, was heavily influenced by John Armstrong's book Track Planning for Realistic Operation.

George

—Katy Faust

chuck

Postby chuck » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:31 pm

This design, as well as the current Panhandle, was heavily influenced by John Armstrong's book Track Planning for Realistic Operation.

Don't know how I missed that one (ordering it now). I have the MR publication Classic Railroad You Can Model and the two CTT publications Realistic Track Plans for O Gauge Trains and Track Plans for Toy Trains. The last one has some nice designs for "S" guage as well as "O". There are a bunch of MR publications that are just great sources of info regarding trains and their operation and the material can be adapted for O/"Toy" trains.
Once I built a railroad, I made it run,
Made it race against time.
Once I built a railroad, now it's done --
Brother, can you spare a dime?

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:45 pm

George,
My first comment is that if your track plan satisfies you no more needs to be said concerning the overall plan.
Comments about details would certainly be encouraged.
Many of the really great suggestions I see above would call for a complete revision of your plan. I didn't think you asked for that.
Maybe this is what you wanted since it will be awhile before the new layout will be started maybe you will change the over-all plan.
The only thing that seems odd to me is all trains going counter clockwise. Might that not become a little boring?
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

Return to “O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading”