Back At It- the DT&I Thread

All Facets of O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading
ogauge47

Re: Back At It- the DT&I Thread

Postby ogauge47 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:11 pm

rogruth wrote:When I lived near Springfield, Ohio I would see those AA cabooses now and then.
Always thought they were nice looking. Was that style also used by some others, possibly Wabash?

That was a Wabash design. Wabash owned the Ann Arbor until the early 60's so they ordered the same design for the Annie. Some of those AA cabooses made it to the DT&I roster. Once the N&W bought the Wabash some of them got N&W paint

jlong

Postby jlong » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:39 pm

The CB&Q design is not the same as the Wabash design but close enough I would go for it in CB&Q.

John Long

One nation under Josh with ozone an magnetraction for all

ogauge47

Postby ogauge47 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:49 pm

4/28

Started on a new project- Ann Arbor RS-1 #21

Started with an Atlas NYC RS-1

34173249872_53e2f666be_k.jpg
34173249872_53e2f666be_k.jpg (657.47 KiB) Viewed 5578 times

Where it is now

34290459526_19648a45f8_k.jpg
34290459526_19648a45f8_k.jpg (444.25 KiB) Viewed 5578 times

More updates in the next few months :mrgreen:

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:18 pm

Good luck and keep us informed.
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

Roy

Postby Roy » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:56 am

Lucas, did the engines fade to Pepto-Bismol pink, or was it the color print?

Torturers, White Racists, Gay Bashers, Rich Psychopaths.

ogauge47

Postby ogauge47 » Sun May 07, 2017 10:57 pm

5/7

Update on the Ann Arbor RS-1- painted the body, handrails and pilots. Waiting on decals. For the time being this will be an unpowered unit

In other news, I was able to paint up and detail a Lionel GP9 as a GTW GP18 using only parts on hand. It was formerly was a DT&I painted pusedo-GP7 which was no longer up to my standards for detail. This one fits squarely into my 'one day, good-enough project' category

chuck

Postby chuck » Mon May 08, 2017 6:23 am

Looking good.

Kind of off the wall question. The RS-1 is the only ALCO RS or SD with the hand rail stanchions attached to the side sills of the frame. All of the followups and most of the Century series have the stanchions attached to the top plate. The reason I ask is that MOST of the three rail models of the early ALCO products incorrectly use the side sill method which is what EMD and just about everyone else did on the real engines. Does anyone know why ALCO bucked the trend and attached the stanchions to the deck?
Once I built a railroad, I made it run,
Made it race against time.
Once I built a railroad, now it's done --
Brother, can you spare a dime?

ogauge47

Postby ogauge47 » Wed May 31, 2017 3:19 pm

chuck wrote:Looking good.

Kind of off the wall question. The RS-1 is the only ALCO RS or SD with the hand rail stanchions attached to the side sills of the frame. All of the followups and most of the Century series have the stanchions attached to the top plate. The reason I ask is that MOST of the three rail models of the early ALCO products incorrectly use the side sill method which is what EMD and just about everyone else did on the real engines. Does anyone know why ALCO bucked the trend and attached the stanchions to the deck?

I have no idea. I believe only Weaver got the top-mounted handrails correct on the first version of their RS-3

One of my pet peeves with earlier EMD diesel offerings from Lionel and MTH are that the handrails are all one-piece and bent up from under the side sill. Atlas does a good job a using individual stanchions

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Wed May 31, 2017 6:07 pm

Remember that Lionel was still making toys when they produced their earlier GP7/9 not the works of art that are expected today.
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

ogauge47

Postby ogauge47 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:42 pm

Back from the dead!

Picked up this Lionel 8k tank car at Great Lakes Hobby tonight on a whim, unboxed and dusty on a shelf for a total steal. Figured I should see if I still had any modeling ability left at all.

The car got the standard treatment, Kadee couplers and added details. The Lionel 8k tanker has been around since at least 1999, and the model didn't have stirrups, so those were added, as well as a new brake wheel and air hoses. While it didn't come with stirrups, it did have a really nice uncoupler bar, surprising for 1999.

J. S. Bach

Postby J. S. Bach » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:47 am

Nice, but those wheels! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :roll: :mrgreen:

ogauge47

Postby ogauge47 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:08 pm

J. S. Bach wrote:Nice, but those wheels! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :roll: :mrgreen:

I normally would change them out to 2-rail but because of the light weight of the car I decided to leave the 3R wheels on as derailment insurance. (Not to mention I'm out of good 2 rail wheel sets)

J. S. Bach

Postby J. S. Bach » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:36 pm

ogauge47 wrote:I normally would change them out to 2-rail but because of the light weight of the car I decided to leave the 3R wheels on as derailment insurance. (Not to mention I'm out of good 2 rail wheel sets)

I use Intermountain wheelsets on most of my cars with either Weaver or Athearn trucks (IMs are a drop-in replacement) but on Lionel cars I use either MTH or Atlas two-rail trucks, I do not remember right now which brand fits better. Anyway, I do like that tanker.

Return to “O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading”