Detroit Railfanning

All Facets of O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading
ogauge47

Detroit Railfanning

Postby ogauge47 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:35 pm

I guess this thread will be my ongoing depository for my Detroit pics for now on.

First update- week of 10/9/14

Detroit's Milwaukee Junction- the CN/GTW, Conrail and Detroit Connecting Railroad all cross here and is a hub for most Canada-bound traffic

CN freight with a C40-8W and SD70M-2

Conrail freight led by 2 NS Dash 9s

ogauge47

Re: Detroit Railfanning

Postby ogauge47 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:15 pm

Today's update:

This CN freight snuck up on me on the way to Milwaukee Junction

Amtrak Wolverine

GTW GP9R

Backing up

J. S. Bach

Postby J. S. Bach » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:24 pm

ogauge47 wrote:Today's update: Amtrak Wolverine

Nice. Down here on the Silver Service trains (Silver Star, my favorite and Silver Meteor) the motors are run "elephant style", that is, nose to tail. In your picture, the second unit almost looks like a B unit. :mrgreen:

ogauge47

Postby ogauge47 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:34 pm

J. S. Bach wrote:
ogauge47 wrote:Today's update: Amtrak Wolverine

Nice. Down here on the Silver Service trains (Silver Star, my favorite and Silver Meteor) the motors are run "elephant style", that is, nose to tail. In your picture, the second unit almost looks like a B unit. :mrgreen:

This arrangement pictured is new to me, normally Amtrak runs the Wolverine (Pontiac, MI to Chicago) with an engine on each end so they don't have to turn the train.

J. S. Bach

Postby J. S. Bach » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:57 pm

ogauge47 wrote:This arrangement pictured is new to me, normally Amtrak runs the Wolverine (Pontiac, MI to Chicago) with an engine on each end so they don't have to turn the train.

That is odd to me too as cab cars are available; at least on the Comet II commuter variant. Amtrak does use cab cars on Amfleet-equiped trains using de-motored Metroliners.

chuck

Postby chuck » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:25 pm

For the Wolverine they run two power units and both are actually running no matter which way the train is going. The rear unit is providing all of the electrical power for the passenger cars environmental systems and passenger seat 110v outlets.

Before they had enough Genesis units they did use a gutted FP40 as a control cab and "baggage car". On most of the coach cars on the Wolverine they have an area at one end of each car for luggage and some cars even have short luggage racks in these areas.

The train should only take about 5 hours to get from Detroit to Chicago and a number of the stops are very short with no assistance for getting luggage on or off the train. The thing that surprised me most about the trip is that Chicago's Union station has low level platforms. I'm used to "big city" stations having the high level walk on/off platforms.

This is actually a pretty popular way to get to/from Chicago in this area. If you're staying downtown you will have to pay almost as much for parking as buying another room at your hotel. Union Station is just behind the Willis (formerly known as Sears Tower) so it's really downtown, just off the loop.
Once I built a railroad, I made it run,
Made it race against time.
Once I built a railroad, now it's done --
Brother, can you spare a dime?

ogauge47

Postby ogauge47 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:59 pm

Today's update:
I went down to Romulus for a few hours today. NS and CSX were working on the tracks at the diamond which caused a pretty big backlog of trains

CP freight

Blowing by the workers at track speed

NS local to Milan

Loram Rail Grinder

CSX rack train

CSX unit grain train literally on the heels of the autorack train- you could see the tail end of the rack train down the tracks while this one passed in front of me

Looks like they bought multiple copies of the tan hopper 6-packs. I don't think I've ever seen a solid train of one class of car before (save for that one ribbed hopper up front)

ogauge47

Postby ogauge47 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:13 pm

11/15/14 Update
I spent the day railfanning the NS Wabash line.

Romulus, MI

NS Oakwood Yard

Trio of old school CP rail SD40-2s

With my 2003 VW Passat Turbo

Saw the same oil train and was able to get a better picture of the CEFX pusher

ogauge47

Postby ogauge47 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:08 pm

Today's catches

CSX Rougemere Yard in Dearborn, MI

SD40-3s

NS Oakwood Yard

ogauge47

Postby ogauge47 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:42 pm

I spent an afternoon in Romulus and caught a bunch of trains. The Wabash was on fire today

CSX intermodal

Freshly painted CP unit. My iPhone acted up and wan't able to take a pic from the normal angle

Roadrailer

CSX freight with 2 CP units. The lead unit was in the movie 'Unstoppable'. The yellow plow stripes are a giveaway

NS and CP meet

ogauge47

Postby ogauge47 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:53 pm

I hit up Oakwood Yard for a couple hours today and caught some awesome EMD power (excluding a big GE on a RoadRailer train)

ogauge47

Postby ogauge47 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:48 am

Conrail/NS autorack train this morning in Hamtramck, MI. Note the CN cowl GE unit

ogauge47

Postby ogauge47 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:27 pm

Some CP and NS action on the Wabash in Romulus

CP 9751, one of the engines used for Unstoppable

Trailing UP unit

Back to back NS locals

J. S. Bach

Postby J. S. Bach » Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:36 pm

I went in to buy one, but thet were out of stock:

J. S. Bach

Postby J. S. Bach » Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:38 pm

ogauge47 wrote:I hit up Oakwood Yard for a couple hours today and caught some awesome EMD power (excluding a big GE on a RoadRailer train)

How do you tell the difference? They all look the same to me now. Something about the shape of the cab windows??

Return to “O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading”