What's New on the PRR Panhandle Division?

All Facets of O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading
Rufus T. Firefly

Re: What's New on the PRR Panhandle Division?

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:40 am

jlong wrote: I can't see how a public day will benefit the TCA in a big way as it would only attract people within a 200 mile radius of York. A dimple on the USA map.

Perhaps, but I also don't see how it can hurt and it may spread the word and information beyond just preaching to the choir.

......nice prewar at nice prices just sitting there un-noticed. 20 years ago it would have flown off the tables for what dealers were asking.

Going to be more and more of this happening as interests shift and estates move stuff into the market.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

jlong

Postby jlong » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:02 am

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
jlong wrote:
......nice prewar at nice prices just sitting there un-noticed. 20 years ago it would have flown off the tables for what dealers were asking.

Going to be more and more of this happening as interests shift and estates move stuff into the market.

That thought really crossed my mind driving home from it all. I look forward to it.
John Long

One nation under Josh with ozone an magnetraction for all

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:07 am

jlong wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
jlong wrote:

That thought really crossed my mind driving home from it all. I look forward to it.

I am already selling some of my stuff in anticipation of that upcoming event, :wink:
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

healey36

Postby healey36 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:12 am

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
the NOVA-AMPS show

Where was that? Might have wandered in for a visit, :wink:

Fairfax High School...lots of vendors and lots of models on display. It's on the calendar already for the last weekend in April 2018, same place.

Show lasted until four o'clock...at three o'clock we put everything we had left half-off, as did the guy next to us. We were nearly trampled to death in the bull-rush. A desperate attempt to come back empty-handed, but we still had a box-and-a-half left when we cleared out an hour later. The good thing about being a vendor is you have very little time to circulate and buy more crap...

It was my first time on the other side of the table...I was a bit nervous about getting haggled to death, but folk were very nice and most had exact change. Good experience. If we liquidate our entire collections we probably have enough stuff for ten more shows.

Gave away a dozen or so kits to youngsters...gotta keep the faith.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:52 am

healey36 wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
the NOVA-AMPS show

Where was that? Might have wandered in for a visit, :wink:

Fairfax High School...lots of vendors and lots of models on display. It's on the calendar already for the last weekend in April 2018, same place.

Right down the road from me - 3 miles maybe.

Should have dropped me a note!

Is there a web site for the 2018 show?

healey36

Postby healey36 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:13 am

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
Right down the road from me - 3 miles maybe.

Should have dropped me a note!

Is there a web site for the 2018 show?

Sorry about that, my bad as they say. And NOVA is an IPMS affiliate, not AMPS...again, my error.

Here's their web-site...not yet updated for the 2018 show date:

http://www.novaipms.org/

There's a club in Richmond as well, and the IPMS Nationals seem to rotate through Virginia Beach every four years or so.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:22 am

healey36 wrote:......... rotate through Virginia Beach every four years or so.

VA Beach can be a complete horror to get in/out of...........

Tom Dempsey

Postby Tom Dempsey » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:51 am

Just try to avoid the carrier's wake.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:28 pm

Tom Dempsey wrote:Just try to avoid the carrier's wake.

Or the tunnel, :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

PJB

Postby PJB » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:19 pm

I would say 1/2" plywood is a minimum. I used 1/2" plywood, sanded on one side. I used Linn Westcott's L girder open grid system with all subroadbed sitting atop cleats, each about 12-18" apart. Yet, I still ended up with two depression spots needing ribs. Of course, it could have been the pieces of plywood themselves or the humidity (55%RH in the summer) in my basement and not the plywood thickness.

G3750

Postby G3750 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:51 pm

PJB wrote:I would say 1/2" plywood is a minimum. I used 1/2" plywood, sanded on one side. I used Linn Westcott's L girder open grid system with all subroadbed sitting atop cleats, each about 12-18" apart. Yet, I still ended up with two depression spots needing ribs. Of course, it could have been the pieces of plywood themselves or the humidity (55%RH in the summer) in my basement and not the plywood thickness.

You might want to jump to the 2.0 thread. This one has been ignored since I tore down Panhandle 1.0.

George
What is a 'Conservative'? "Someone who wants society and policy to recognize objective reality- economic, biological, and historical."

—Katy Faust

Return to “O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading”