What's New on the PRR Panhandle Division?

All Facets of O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading
G3750

Re: What's New on the PRR Panhandle Division?

Postby G3750 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:46 pm

rogruth wrote:George,
I thought you were going to use the bridge you had made for Panhandle 1?

Roger, it IS the bridge built for Panhandle 1. I am investigating the addition of extensions to it.

George
What is a 'Conservative'? "Someone who wants society and policy to recognize objective reality- economic, biological, and historical."

—Katy Faust

G3750

Postby G3750 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:47 pm

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:That's a wonderful bridge project, George.

I think all of us, having seen or possessed a Lionel bridge when we were kids, see nice bridges as a must for a layout. IMHO.

Here's my childhood Lionel bridge nestled-in among a variety of bridges, more for variety and nostalgia, than any attempt at realism,

Thanks, Frank. I love your bridges. They look great!

George
What is a 'Conservative'? "Someone who wants society and policy to recognize objective reality- economic, biological, and historical."

—Katy Faust

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:03 pm

G3750 wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:You appear to have 2 #18 parts?

Rufus, you are referring to the 18" sections of the main span between the entrance and the highest points? They are not separate parts. I was just trying to determine the position of the main piers (18" in from the ends of the spans). This is an old bridge design drawing that I made back in 2008 (when I thought I might have to build the thing myself). It did influence the bridge vendor, however.

George

No, you have 2 #18's in your drawing -- one is extra, maybe? Glitch?
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

G3750

Postby G3750 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:45 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
G3750 wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:You appear to have 2 #18 parts?

Rufus, you are referring to the 18" sections of the main span between the entrance and the highest points? They are not separate parts. I was just trying to determine the position of the main piers (18" in from the ends of the spans). This is an old bridge design drawing that I made back in 2008 (when I thought I might have to build the thing myself). It did influence the bridge vendor, however.

George

No, you have 2 #18's in your drawing -- one is extra, maybe? Glitch?

Not seeing your point, but here's a cleaned up version of the drawing.

Bridge Sideview2.jpg
Bridge Sideview2.jpg (48.5 KiB) Viewed 5354 times

George

—Katy Faust

G3750

Postby G3750 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:16 am

This is the end of the line for the PRR Panhandle thread.

Shortly, I will launch a new, PRR Panhandle 2.0 topic to document the building of the new layout.

Thanks to everyone for their viewing, constructive criticism, suggestions, and support! I am much obliged.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

George

—Katy Faust

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:48 pm

I'll be watching for it.
Just got the latest OST.
Have not had time to read your piece yet but will soon,
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

G3750

Postby G3750 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:13 am

One last thing. On Good Friday, the 3 ore bridges at Arcelor Mittal (former Weirton Steel) were demolished.

http://wtov9.com/news/local/former-arce ... demolished

No turning back now.

George

—Katy Faust

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:29 am

Read it. Good stuff there. Well done.
I thought from the layout photos that the right side of the building was cut at some odd angle but this does not show that.
It shows, IMHO, how well you made it fit the overall picture.
roger

I support thread drift.

G3750

Postby G3750 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:00 am

rogruth wrote:Read it. Good stuff there. Well done.
I thought from the layout photos that the right side of the building was cut at some odd angle but this does not show that.
It shows, IMHO, how well you made it fit the overall picture.

Thanks Roger! I had some help from another crafty Greek. I think his name was Pythagoras, yeah, that's it! :lol:

In the new version of the Panhandle, I'm going to enlarge those buildings and close up the side openings. No more subterranean yards - not my best idea :roll: .

—Katy Faust

healey36

Postby healey36 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:00 pm

It will be interesting to see how this site is re-purposed by Frontier. Hopefully folks have good reason to be optimistic.

http://ohiovalleyindustrialpark.com/

George, did Frontier get any tax or licensing concessions from local government to take this on?

Healey

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:15 pm

My cousin, who lives in Steubenville, tells me that there is some new activity at the old Mingo mill.
The blast furnaces are gone but something is going on and people are going back to work
and there is a little hope there for the first time in quite awhile. She grew up there and said it
seemed to be turning into a ghost town.
roger

I support thread drift.

G3750

Postby G3750 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:17 pm

healey36 wrote:It will be interesting to see how this site is re-purposed by Frontier. Hopefully folks have good reason to be optimistic.

http://ohiovalleyindustrialpark.com/

George, did Frontier get any tax or licensing concessions from local government to take this on?

Healey

I don't know, but I would think so. Not to inject politics into this discussion, but before the election I saw an on-line documentary that said Weirton, WV was the city most badly affected by the policies of the Obama administration. I think it was a documentary produced in the UK. I know fracking has brought a fair amount of money back into town.

George

—Katy Faust

G3750

Postby G3750 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:15 pm

rogruth wrote:My cousin, who lives in Steubenville, tells me that there is some new activity at the old Mingo mill.
The blast furnaces are gone but something is going on and people are going back to work
and there is a little hope there for the first time in quite awhile. She grew up there and said it
seemed to be turning into a ghost town.

That is excellent news.

George

—Katy Faust

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:32 am

G3750 wrote:
rogruth wrote:She grew up there and said it seemed to be turning into a ghost town.

That is excellent news.

Yes. We need more ghost towns so that we can keep those nasty ethereal beings sequestered away from decent folk!
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

G3750

Postby G3750 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:43 am

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
G3750 wrote:
rogruth wrote:She grew up there and said it seemed to be turning into a ghost town.

That is excellent news.

Yes. We need more ghost towns so that we can keep those nasty ethereal beings sequestered away from decent folk!

Nice selective cut and paste job, Rufus! Ever consider working for one of the tabloids? :lol:

Or the Mainstream Media? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Did you find a use for the media cabinet?

George

—Katy Faust

Return to “O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading”